What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912iS Sport Limited Edition

rileyspoon

Opened my Rotax engine crate today as part of doing the inventory and I saw that the valve covers were red. I was expecting them to be green. Then as I dug down in the crate I found a folder saying the engine was # 97 of 200 original Rotax 100 Years Limited edition engines. Anyone else gotten one of these? Included in the crate were three boxes with oil filters and there was already one attached to the engine. Didn't know it came with spares. Ok, so I figured out the oil filters are part of the Service Kits that come with the engine. Now if I can only figure out how to register the thing. Wanting to know the diameter of the prop in millimeters?

Attachments

• 20210520_204353.jpg
    20210520_204353.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Opened my Rotax engine crate today as part of doing the inventory and I saw that the valve covers were red. I was expecting them to be green. Then as I dug down in the crate I found a folder saying the engine was # 97 of 200 original Rotax 100 Years Limited edition engines. Anyone else gotten one of these? Included in the crate were three boxes with oil filters and there was already one attached to the engine. Didn't know it came with spares. Ok, so I figured out the oil filters are part of the Service Kits that come with the engine. Now if I can only figure out how to register the thing. Wanting to know the diameter of the prop in millimeters?

That’s cool. Just out of curiosity when did you order your power plant kit. I ordered end of February and curious how long they are taking. I have not gotten a crate date yet.

Thanks

Congratulations, Bobby!

Thanks. :)

Of course what I didn't mention is that Rotax failed to properly secure the engine in its crate, allowing it to rock back and forth, pop out some shipping plugs, loose two exhaust stud nuts, spill some fluid, scuff up one side of the engine, and all but destroy the fuel filter. :mad:

That’s pretty funny. I’ve seen YouTube of Rotax 912 assembly at Austria factory and they have a dedicated computer logging all torque values with complete database for each engine by S/N. Looks like they need to carry same philosophy into the shipping department…

That’s pretty funny. I’ve seen YouTube of Rotax 912 assembly at Austria factory and they have a dedicated computer logging all torque values with complete database for each engine by S/N. Looks like they need to carry same philosophy into the shipping department…

Funny/irritating; potato/potahto I guess. ;)

I just hope I didn't get a Friday afternoon engine! :eek:

Well, it's bye-bye to #87. Van's is sending a replacement engine, also a 100 Year Limited Edition.

Pics from #87 uncrating:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-06 095832.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-06 095832.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 487
  • Screenshot 2021-08-06 095911.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-06 095911.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Screenshot 2021-08-06 095930.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-06 095930.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 488
  • Screenshot 2021-08-06 100002.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-06 100002.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 451
I got my powerplant kit a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to get one of the limited editions. I didn't think there would be any still available. However I was pleasantly surprised to receive number 180 of 200.

I recently picked up an SLSA from Vans and was pleasantly surprised to have this included. Had a really good experience working the the team at Vans Aircraft!

My Engine came a month ago

With only a few days left to inventory, I finally took the top of the box off last night. Didn't know anything about the limited edition until your post but I got 169/200. That's kind of exciting! -Red valve covers-

Is that extended warranty for real? That would be really nice.

The package was in great shape internally, no boxes banged up. Didn't want to disturb the poly bag because it will be a few months before hanging the engine.

That's a cautionary tale though Bobby. I better take a closer look.

Found a dent in a radiator tube that I don't feel comfortable installing. Sent pix to Van's today showing a dent on one side and an actual gouge in a small kink on the other side. This part was nicely packed but not in the engine box itself, just in the crate interior with the prop, etc.
John S
Layton, UT

SERENDIPITY?

Thank Goodness I read the posts today. I got excited to see red valve covers on my engine and pulled out the printed material underneath not knowing that the registration had to be done within 30 days or the warranty was forfeited! This was literally 1:35 AM on the 30th day since delivery. The registration was unsuccessfully submitted because I didn't know the Propeller diameter in mm. Finally after much searching I found a line on the Sensenich propeller recommendation chart that indicated 71 inches diameter for the 3Y0R5C70MY prop and with a conversion to 1803mm the submission was successful!

Many Thanks for saving my bacon on this one!!!!

John S
Layton, UT

Engine must be registered by 30 days after purchase date

I'm a little uneasy about this:

"NOTE: Limited warranty will only be granted, if the engine is registered by the end customer 30 days after the date of purchase at the latest."

I'm hoping the delivery date is considered the purchase date and not the date the bank transfer arrived at Van's (which was about a month before it shipped).

Anyone know?

John S.

I'm glad this thread was pointed out to me. I picked up my powerplant kit July 11, 2022 at Vans. I popped the top off the box yesterday and noticed the red covers, thinking they should be green! Now I know why and I know that I need to get it registered! Kind of cool to get a limited edition, now I need to open it up again and look for the edition number. Thanks for the information!

The box and contents were in great shape and I was surprised to find extra oil and fuel filters among all the goodies.

I guess mine is not one of the numbered limited edition engines. It is sn 7705879 so it looks like it was quite a bit later than the one pictured earlier in this thread. Funny it says it's a 912iS Sport Limited edition, it has red covers... I guess it's an un-numberer limited edition! :D

I also can't find any paperwork about registering it for warranty purposes or otherwise?

Another Red Engine

We were pleasantly surprised with the unboxing today of our new engine for our RV-12IS project.
Serial No# 7705891
No mention anywhere of limited edition.
Delivered to site at School 19th October 2022
Uncrated today, 4th April 2023
Registered with Rotax today. 4th April 2023

AMWts8DqfSUxS0-WU3JoLm4Whlh1zlp6IJ6PVFLjd5z1w5qjljg-PJHheggONBboE_BQyIQCvveFyQvj1Vn8nRk9LBUKxOGVLrgAFACYiBlnjKQ529jCxyTpsniu5MPp5722h4TjAN4cqxha-hsHFUjEqpdL4g=w976-h1300

How long before someone starts to offer custom valve cover colors? O:) I'd like mine in metallic blue please.

How long before someone starts to offer custom valve cover colors? O:) I'd like mine in metallic blue please.

When I order/recieve mine, I was going to try and paint my covers orange. But not sure how to paint and keep the white embossed lettering. Also not sure I want to take a can of spray paint to something this expensive. The valve covers alone are over $200 I think. Still in the daydreaming phase. :rolleyes:

The easy way to see if it's a limited edition engine is have a look on the top under the tear off film.

John.

Attachments

• 20210914_124801 - Copy.jpg
    20210914_124801 - Copy.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 104
Back