What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any issues with exterior priming?

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I'm priming the interior parts or my RV-14A with Akzo 463-12-8. If I primed the exterior with this stuff, am I setting myself up for problems down the road when it comes time to paint? I don't plan to do the painting myself.

If you have a shop in mind, ask them now. Some shops will not guarantee their work unless they’ve done the prep and prime.

There will likely be an issue if you prime the outside and expect to apply the top coat later, because according to the TDS the top coat must be applied within 48 hours of applying the primer. If done later, then the top coat won't stick properly because the epoxy primer will be too far cured. And an epoxy primer is extremely difficult to remove!

"Dry to topcoat 1 hour minimum and 48 hours maximum"

There will likely be an issue if you prime the outside and expect to apply the top coat later, because according to the TDS the top coat must be applied within 48 hours of applying the primer. If done later, then the top coat won't stick properly because the epoxy primer will be too far cured. And an epoxy primer is extremely difficult to remove!

"Dry to topcoat 1 hour minimum and 48 hours maximum"

The notes usually go on to say "after 48 hrs scuffing and reapplication is necessary . . . "

scuffing -not removal. If one scuffs, etches, alodine, then applies the passivating corrosion inhibiting primer then IMO you are good to go. Surely the paint shop can tell the difference between adhesion failure of the primer-substrate and topcoat-primer modes.

Depending on the shop that paints your plane, it might cost you more to have the thing painted. If it were me I would remove all exterior primer as my first step. Unless I control the whole process from beginning to end I can’t guarantee or warranty the final product.

Warranty

Depending on the shop that paints your plane, it might cost you more to have the thing painted. If it were me I would remove all exterior primer as my first step. Unless I control the whole process from beginning to end I can’t guarantee or warranty the final product.

What he ^ said. Even worse and no offense, but what if they do paint over and the paint starts to peel? If you really want to protect the surface, alodine it but it's not fun. I did it because I plan to vinyl wrap and wanted some light weight protection under the vinyl. Capturing all that stuff was a pain.

Back