What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Slip RV-12

Piper J3

Well Known Member
From the POH…

Use of normal landing procedures in addition:

• Flaps – FULL DOWN
• Airspeed – 55 KIAS
• Throttle – AS REQUIRED to control rate of descent
• Slip aircraft as necessary to increase rate of descent

WARNING
A relatively high rate of descent is possible in this configuration when at full gross weight and the throttle closed. If airspeed is allowed to decrease below 55 kts, level off can only be assured with an application of power.

I have been using forward slip (with full flaps deployed) if I find myself high on final approach. I have only used slip a few times in the 50 hours I have owned the plane. I’m wondering how aggressive the plane can be slipped with full flaps? I’d like to practice this procedure at altitude. Has anyone come close to using fully crossed-controls in a slip with the 12?

Last edited:
I have used full rudder several times on final approach. I watch the AOA, not airspeed. My RV-12 is seldom even close to full gross weight.

I use forward slip often. I like to be a little high on my approach, and the slip allows me to pinpoint my landing. I'm not aware of any restrictions on slipping the rv-12.

I'm a private pilot with 1100 hours, 700 of which are in complec/retractable Cessnas and 220 more recently in a Zodiac 650 LSI with conventional flaps rather than flapperons.
I have always saved my altitude and then slipped to land. I of course I'm using what is clearly a side- slip with one side of the aircraft plowing into the the relative wind. Personally, I always thought a "forward slip" was used for crosswind Landings where you bank into the crosswind and then use Rudder to maintain the fuselage in aligned with both the runway.

The forward slip is used to reduce altitude for landing, the side slip to stay aligned with the runway in a cross wind. Aerodynamically they are the same maneuver. The forward slip is typically more extreme control surface movement to achieve more drag. The side slip is modulated control input to maintain runway alignment.

When I first started to fly my 12 I was surprised how well it glides compared to my Cherokee 180, and I needed to slip a lot. I have learned two things about the 12. One pull your power early, and two resist the temptation to drop the nose when high on final. Slow down and your glide path will steepen considerably. But I’d be lying if I said I still don’t end up dropping a wing and kicking opposite rudder on final sometimes.

I'm a private pilot with 1100 hours, 700 of which are in complec/retractable Cessnas and 220 more recently in a Zodiac 650 LSI with conventional flaps rather than flapperons.
I have always saved my altitude and then slipped to land. I of course I'm using what is clearly a side- slip with one side of the aircraft plowing into the the relative wind. Personally, I always thought a "forward slip" was used for crosswind Landings where you bank into the crosswind and then use Rudder to maintain the fuselage in aligned with both the runway.

As noted by Seagull, you’ve got the usual definitions backwards. But as he noted, the airplane doesn’t care, they’re both ‘slips’.

When I'm a beam the numbers I pull power to idle and don't touch it, then one notch of flaps when below 82kts, I stay a bit high, then on mid final I deploy full flaps, if you wait a bit the drag increases so you can steepen your decent angle, then when you have the field made and still are high I use the slip and have done so agressively depending on height. I usually hold 60kts. I use this method as engine out glide practice to sharpen my skills. I've learned to hord my altitude because that last notch of flaps can cause me to add power if I apply them too early.

Floating?

One thing to note about RV-12s that float - pay close attention to idle RPM. An extra 50 or 100 RPM can make a real difference in landing characteristics.

Idle range for the RV-12, per the PAP, R14 is 1600-1650 RPM.

For the RV-12iS, per the PAP, R2.4 - 1550-1650 RPM.

Check idle RPM immediately after flight before shutdown.

Usual disclaimer - Opinions expressed in this post are my own and not my employer's.

Last edited:
The RV-12 is a great "slipper"! Full x controls present no problem, no limitations stated that I am aware of and no bad habits when you do.

The RV-12 is a great "slipper"! Full x controls present no problem, no limitations stated that I am aware of and no bad habits when you do.

Correct… you can cross full controls, even with full flap extension, and when released, it straightens itself back out nice as can be. What it doesn’t do very well is scrub off speed when in a slip. POH suggests 55 KIAS on short final, and if you carry any extra speed, the plane floats in ground effect with air being compressed under the low wing. 55 KIAS allows enough energy to be converted into a nice flare for landing...

I too slip the 12 almost every time I land. Partly because I misjudge the configuration point, altitude, and descent rate, but mostly because I enjoy slipping the plane!
A very interesting thing on the last long slip to land I did recently. A few days ago I did a particularly long slip while turning and descending from a right base. From 1500 agl down to the runway with a full cross control slip locked in the entire time. At some point during the slip, I looked down at my Garmin "wind indicator" and it showed an almost 30kt crosswind!
I continued the landing, took a look at the wind sock and it showed a nearly calm breeze straight down the centerline. The Garmin continued to show a crosswind and I landed and rolled out and then switched to "wind not available" by runway exit.

My theory is that with such a prolonged slip, and while turning in the descent, the Garmin decided that the strange airflow through the static and pitot tubes as wall as the flight path over the ground, must of meant a very strong crosswind.

Anyone else seen this?

The EFIS displayed cross wind is based on a calculation of your GPS ground track vs magnetic heading. A long duration slip would cause the calculation to indicate a cross wind even if there wasn’t any.
Strange airflow would not be involved.

The EFIS displayed cross wind is based on a calculation of your GPS ground track vs magnetic heading. A long duration slip would cause the calculation to indicate a cross wind even if there wasn’t any.
Strange airflow would not be involved.

That makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification Scott.

I don’t know about you guys, but on final 99% of my eyeball capacity is out the canopy. Not pondering the fate of the universe and what the EFIS shows for Xwind!😝

Yes, the RV-12 is a pleasure to fly in the landing pattern. Once slowed on downwind leg, I drop both notches of flap in one smooth motion and trim for 55 KIAS with power at idle. Airplane is fully configured and flying hands-off well before turning base leg. Airplane holds pitch attitude and maintains glide slope with very little control input. Beautiful to turn final and be lined up with centerline and follow it to touchdown with only quick glances at airspeed to just to confirm. Never gets old and always brings a smile….

I did my transition training in a 12 with a 2 blade. My 3 blade 12 iS for sure slows down faster and i have to carry power just a tiny bit longer in the pattern. I shoot for 75 abeam the numbers and add in all flaps, trimming for 65. When i get a little more confident I’ll shoot for 60.

I was taught to use a far amount of down elevator in the Cherokee trainers when doing a slip. Man I was surprised when my 12 picked up quite a bit of speed when i did that.

Still, this is a super easy plane to land!

I fly off a 7000’ concrete runway. I carry 65 KIAS and one notch of flaps on final and bleed it off after the flair. It gives a bumpless squeaker every time. I save 55 KIAS finals for shorter runways.

Back