What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyTec Starter Parts

GregMac

Does anyone have info or part number for our RV10 SkyTec Starters brush assembly. ? I’ve had intermittent slow cranking for some time which culminated in a failure to crank/start recently. Did the replacing diagnostic (replaced battery & starter) which proved the problem was the starter. Disassembled the starter, and consulted my auto lecky, everything checked out Ok, except the brushes, although they looked Ok to me. Apparently these starters and others are very susceptible to even small brush wear effecting performance. Was told that these SkyTecs started life as Mitsubishi units. So can anyone shed any light on the four brush assembly units availability? if I can find a source then I’ll keep the unit as a spare and might be able to help a fellow aviator or myself out one day. Cheers Greg McFarlane.

Ford bronco starter

Depends on what skytech starter you have. I rebuilt mine for $32 using a ford bronco starter. Took 10 mintues to remove the guts and put them in the skytech housing. Ill send the part number tomorrow when i go to the hangar.

Thanks Bob, The Vans supplied SkyTec that I have is the 149-12LS (149 is number of teeth on ring gear 12 is volts LS is ? ) Has been a good little unit on the RV10 up till now, estimate it has started the IO-540 at least 1000 times (on hours run)

Ls is left side solenoid i think.

Can you see or read a word.doc if i email you one? I have a couple page write up by a long eze guy with photos. I do think you have the same starter as i have, so should be able to rebuild. Pm or send me your email if you want, or i can just send the part number of the ford starter. Its super easy a couple bolt and screws and your done.

Hey Greg, if you go that Bronco rebuild route, could you document the internals comparison and post for the world?
Good luck Thanks!!

To the issue, I might have thought low magnet flux, but if only intermittent that is not likely. Temps do affect flux of permanent magnets so see if that tracks for a marginal start.

Back