What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Price Increase?

sloengineer

From June when I did our initial budget on the 14A until today, the Van's website is indicating a 10% price increase on the standard IO-390A. Can anyone who purchased in the last few weeks confirm that? Even the freshly minted Kitplanes article lists my June budgetary numbers of $34k for the base IO-390A. :confused:

From June when I did our initial budget on the 14A until today, the Van's website is indicating a 10% price increase on the standard IO-390A. Can anyone who purchased in the last few weeks confirm that? Even the freshly minted Kitplanes article lists my June budgetary numbers of $34k for the base IO-390A. :confused:

Unfortunately, yes. As far as I know this was announced a while ago. A couple friends just put their orders in in the last few weeks to get the lower pricing before the end-of-october increase.

There was a thread on here about 3 weeks ago from Vans where they stated they had just been informed by Lycoming that a price increase would take place on Nov 1st and to get "2020" pricing you had to order prior to November 1st and request delivery no later than end of may 2021.

It was on the Vans web site as well.

Well dang it all.... I was out of commission for a couple weeks and missed it completely. Also interesting it didn’t get mentioned in the kitplanes article, which had to be in the works during this period of time. Oh well. I wouldn’t go touting a 10% bump too loudly either. Not like we were close enough to lay money out for the motor. Just hope that’s the last one for at least a year.

Sales and Marketing....

There was not an increase on the EXP119 engine. As a product development engineer myself, I know it is not uncommon to spread development costs for a new product over a range of legacy products. Otherwise, the new product would be prohibitively expensive. As it stands now, the spread from the base IO-390A to the EXP119 is only 5% whereas it was 16%. Now it doesn't matter if folks buy the base or the EXP119, Lycoming can recoup the development costs. It's smart business. With such a small gap now, I'm gonna save pennies to get the EXP119.

There was not an increase on the EXP119 engine. As a product development engineer myself, I know it is not uncommon to spread development costs for a new product over a range of legacy products. Otherwise, the new product would be prohibitively expensive. As it stands now, the spread from the base IO-390A to the EXP119 is only 5% whereas it was 16%. Now it doesn't matter if folks buy the base or the EXP119, Lycoming can recoup the development costs. It's smart business. With such a small gap now, I'm gonna save pennies to get the EXP119.

Not necessarily, the EXP was just introduced a few months ago and priced at that time. the IO-390A was priced perhaps over a year ago. The EXP was probably priced at today's cost.

Back