What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight exceeds all expectations

erikpmort

Well Known Member
In the final moments i questioned everything. Have i done enough to get the result I want? Will i live to see tomorrow ? I countered this with positive thoughts like - I’m not the first person to do this, it’s a proven design, everyone else was ok…. But am I a good enough pilot to handle the problems that will certainly arise ?

Throttle forward. Slow and smooth. Gauges green, Airspeed alive. I know the plane is going to be way out of trim. Ready for anything. Liftoff. Hands off ?!?

Climb out, wait stop climbing, must level off. Ok we are going to accelerate this beast into the yellow arc, be ready for anything. Trim it out. Control surfaces look good. Temps coming up. I am going REALLY fast. There is traffic below me everywhere and the panel is calling it all out.

A few laps in I just can’t believe that every gauge is perfectly in the green and my oil temp is at 183

187 KTAS. 79 % power. Drinking the fuel at 17.5

Yes it’s real. Everything is ok. You’re ok. You did it.

I wanted the least experimental plane I could build. My dar said this is it.

Circling the airport for one hour in the yellow arc with a lot of traffic is stressful. Picked my spot and slowed her down and got her down with a solid B+ landing. Took the cowl off and haven’t gone through it deep yet but nothing so far.

THANK YOU-

Vans. The quality, the instructions, the support. I can’t believe how good this kit is.

Aerotronics- it always felt like I was their only customer. Lightning fast email response. Extremely patient with me.

Lycoming and hartzell. Smooth and solid

Aircraft specialty ! Cleveland Tool !

Classic aero ! E mag air

Michael Seager training

Plane Schemer ! Helped design and coach me through this difficult scheme !

YOU ! VAF and Facebook groups. It’s just not possible without all of you.

My “masters degree” is now complete. Quite the learning experience. But the learning isn’t over.

Regrets ? Not really. Building is expensive in money and time though. I built most of this plane from 5:30-8 am in the morning. 2 yrs and 2 months.
Half QB. Self painted. Estimating 2500 hours.

Seems like a waste to come this far and not use your skills and knowledge to do it again. 😉 maybe later.

Attachments

• 10FE676F-85AB-4F1D-A9DC-3717946AE5D5.jpg
    10FE676F-85AB-4F1D-A9DC-3717946AE5D5.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 668
Nice Bird !!!

Congratulations on a job well done.
Let the fun begin for you and enjoy the ride !!!

Erik,
I have been following your build. Congratulations on getting finished and flying! What an amazing thing to accomplish. My first flight was amazing and my first solo is tattooed on my brain!

Next time we are in the SLC - Logan area I would love to see your plane. We are in West Jordan quite often - right next to he airport!

Have fun.

Throttle forward. Slow and smooth. Gauges green, Airspeed alive. I know the plane is going to be way out of trim. Ready for anything. Liftoff. Hands off ?!?

Loved the write up of things that pop in head for first flight. You didn't write emotions experienced after landing, those that cause the “RV grin”. Those are special.

THANK YOU-

Vans. The quality, the instructions, the support. I can’t believe how good this kit is.

Aerotronics- it always felt like I was their only customer. Lightning fast email response. Extremely patient with me.

Plane Schemer ! Helped design and coach me through this difficult scheme !

YOU ! VAF and Facebook groups. It’s just not possible without all of you.

Congrats Erik!!!! GREAT looking bird! You built an AWESOME looking plane!!!

I second your shout outs to Vans, Aerotronics (they're the best), & Plane Schemer. All excellent vendors!!!

Great looking airplane... glad to hear that it flies as good as it looks. Congratulations!

How about some more photos from different directions?

Thanks!

Dave

Looks Fantastic

Congratulations Eric! That is a beautiful paint job. Post more pictures when you have time.

That paint job really is beautiful. Would you happen to have pictures of the process? I’d be very interested to read the write up.

Congratulations! A day you’ll never forget.

Congrats! Great write up and an inspiration for all of us still in “the grind”. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and start saving up for that RV-15…:)!

Back