What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Helena MT recon

JonJay

Well Known Member
Headed to Helena this coming Sunday or Monday. Looking for FBO recomemdation, and other general info from anyone based on the field or knowledgable. I heard there is a convenient pilots lounge with a bed and shower somewhere on the field. I will be staying locally but might get in a day ahead and stay a day longer than my host will be there.
If anybody knows of any open hangar space, great, but I intend to just tie down for a few days.

I got my PPL at Helena at Vetters Aviation. Nice little FBO. 5 yrs ago there was a little room off the hangar just east of fuel pump that had a little bunk/rest area and I think a courtesy car.

If you fly near there, check out the 'chinese wall' in the bob marshall wilderness area. Also a nice flight is NW of Helena towards the swan valley into St Ignacious and then up to Flathead Lake (Polson).

Beautiful country... Can I come along.? :)

Beck's U-Pump

I grew up in Helena and Beck's U-pump is a great place to stop. The pumps are directly under the tower and it is associated with Mustang Mickey's Pilot's Lounge right there. It has a shower, bunks, and if the old beater cars are working, you can borrow one of the cars. I think technically it is called Exec Air Montana, but it is really all the same thing. Lots of names, one place. Next door is Vetter Aviation which does flight training, they are also a great organization. Say hello to the Big Sky Country for me!

Thanks guys. A buddy of mine told me about Mustang Mickey's and he things Exec. owns them now.

Friendly place Jon you will like it. I stayed one night at Mickey's couple years ago. There is a van but you need to stop by ExecAir for a gate token I believe.

Helena%20MT%20-%201%202.jpg

Helena%20MT%20-%201%201.jpg

As everyone has said...
FBO: Vetters will take care of you if necessary.
Bunk/ car: Mustang Mickeys has want you need. If the courtesy car is not there or ? check with Rosie at Vetters, they'll fix you up.

got my PPL at Vetters and hung out there for many years. Haven't talked with the since I sold my RV. Tell them "howdy" if you go there. If you need something I live 25miles southeast at 8U8.

Brian Carroll

Back