What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JDair Canopy Latch Review

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
I ended up installing the JDair Canopy Latch in my RV-14A today and figured I would share the experience. Overall I think it is a great upgrade from the stock Van's handle which as others have mentioned seems flimsy. This one is definitely not flimsy. Took about 2.5 hours to modify the side skin rivet line and file out the holes for the handle. Most of that was my slow filing of the two main holes with a hand file so that I got the spacing just right.
These are the pre-punched holes from Van's
Handle-1.jpg

The lower angle had to be moved about 1/2" down towards the floor. This allows for the thicker / taller handle.
This photo is the finished lower rivet lines and partially filed handle holes.
Handle-2.jpg

The template provides for the outlines needed to cut the two holes in which the handle sits flush on the outside, but the best fit is attained by cutting a little at a time and test fitting with the actual handle.
This photo is from the outside of the flush fitting handle
Handle-3.jpg

After some final sanding and test fitting the handle fits perfectly flush with very little air gap around the outer edges. I have the aluminum alodined and will paint it at a later time
Handle-4.jpg

Most the holes from the stock lower angle rivet line get cut out when you make the two large holes with the exception of two #40 holes. One of which is easily filled with a AN426AD3-3 rivet, but the second hole that sits between the two large handles will need to be filled with Bondo or something of the sort. Unfortunately it will have a large piece of metal sitting directly behind it on the inside of the aircraft. So unless you like extra visible holes in the aircraft, something will need to be done.
Handle-5.jpg

If I had to redo it, the only thing I would change would be to get the red anodized handle so that I wouldn't have to paint it later.

Thanks

Thank you for the report! Just one of my next steps, except I have the quick build fuselage and will have to drill out the original installation...

Middle Rivet Hole

I cut a rivet really short and bucked it in the hole between the handles. It is flush on the inside and smooth.

The handle is a great improvement.

Hmmm Is it really smart to do anodizing parts by yourself?

Think about all the waste fluids ... ant the environment you live ... and hopefully also your children and they're children ...

The company that do anodizing hopefully hat a clean an proper way to do it, then should follow the regulations to handle the waste acids and so on.

Normally anodizing is not so expensive.

Think about it.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the kind review of our www.jdair.com canopy latch. We have sold a bunch of them and the RV14 crowd has recognized the advantages.

We have them in both aluminum color and anodized red. Somebody suggested Red as a safety item. This is your point of ingress/egress!! They are in stock and ready to ship.

It had thought about offering other colors but chose not to tie up inventory with colors that might not sell.

It is rewarding to go to Oshkosh and see so many of these latches installed. They are a great testament to the late Robbie Attaway who saw the need many years ago and developed the latch. He turned the design over to us when he retired.

Thanks again!!!

Is there anything I can ask of Van's when ordering the QB fuselage kit that would make the install of the JDair latch easier or not have to redo or remove from Van's latch set up?

Is there anything I can ask of Van's when ordering the QB fuselage kit that would make the install of the JDair latch easier or not have to redo or remove from Van's latch set up?

I would say no. You aren’t going to use a couple of angles and a couple of pieces for the latch. Deleting them from the order would probably save you 5$. But all the time spent finding the part number, contacting Vans to delete those parts could be better used elsewhere.
We installed the latch on ours and it is really nice. Glad we went with it.

Kerry

Not really. The only extra thing you would likely have to do with the QB is drill out the 8 rivets that hold the lower latch flange in place. But that?s not really a big deal since only two of those eight holes will remain on the skin. The other 6 will disappear when you cut the larger handle holes.

Not really. The only extra thing you would likely have to do with the QB is drill out the 8 rivets that hold the lower latch flange in place. But that?s not really a big deal since only two of those eight holes will remain on the skin. The other 6 will disappear when you cut the larger handle holes.

Thanks. I was not worried about saving a few bucks. Just wanted to avoid rework or some unwanted holes.

I just installed the red JD air latch into my plane. Although it is not flying, I am getting close. So it was like doing it on a quick build. This latch is sweet. Comparing stock to this one is like comparing a VW but to a Porsche 911. I am no idea why this is not stock (let's see the response I can for this comment).

1. Once you drill out the lower bracket, I used the stock handle to determine how to cut out the hole for the new latch. This will give you the exact location of where the back hole should be locate. I overlapped and slid the bolt in place to determine the aft edge of the hole.
2. Once I got the aft hole cut out, I used it and the template to determine where to cut the front hole.
3. I then installed the handles in the top original bracket attached the lower bracket to the handles with the bolts and used this as a template to drill the lower bracket rivet holes.
3. the two rivets that remain after cutting have to be undimpled and filled. I made the mistake of putting the both back in after putting back in the lower bracket. Don't do that. I used oops rivet in the hole between the two handles, and then I filed it flat enough so that it did not interfere with closing the back latch.
4. The aft most rivet on the lower bracket. I could not figure out how to dimple it, so I put in a oops rivet. Keep in mind that all the dimples have to be bucked in. At least that was the only way I could figure out how to do it. I used the back hole in a longeron yoke to hold the female dimple die and sent the pressure on the gun to 20 psi (or maybe even lower).
5. the front most rivet after cutting out is **** close to the front lower edge of the front handle after undimpling. I can still just barely see where the rivet was. If the hole is not dimpled to begin with as show in the first post, then you won't see the hole at all.
6. I used 5 layers of UHMW tape to build up a "washer" between the handle and the brackets. That stuff is very slick/slippery. The latch operates super smoothly.

Price

When JD Air parts no longer had the latch available last year, I had my metal guy make some up. His wholesale price was higher than JD's retail price. JD's had some features that mine didn't too. JD has a high quality product at a very reasonable price.

Steve Barnes Fairings-Etc

Installing Latch On Flying Aircraft?

For Brent 801. It is a lot easier to install the Latch in a hanger or at least when the aircraft is parked on the ground.:D

interference?

I was convinced of the merits if the latch until I learned that it would interfere with the fancy new side panels from Classic Aero... Has anyone installed the new side panels having used the JD latch?

I was convinced of the merits if the latch until I learned that it would interfere with the fancy new side panels from Classic Aero... Has anyone installed the new side panels having used the JD latch?

My understanding is that they will have a compatible side panel to fit with the JD latch by July. I would suggest checking with them.

JDAero has already prototyped (and perhaps produced) a new handle that Classic Aero has committed to incorporate into a new panel design. The last I've heard there's no firm from CA yet on when they're going to be available, however I'm holding off on the side panel part of my order until it's ready. I think it will be a GREAT combination!

RV14 Latch

Hi Guys,

I will have the new latches available in the next two weeks, in both red and natural aluminum. All aspects of the latch are the same as the previous versions with the addition of the mod needed for the Classic Aero interiors.

Keep in mind the new latch version is only needed if you are planning on using the Classic Aero interior. There are dozens of the standard latches out there now in 14's. No comparison with the stock Van's latch.

Thanks for all the support. Take a look at www.jdair.com for accessories for your RV.

Hi Guys,

I will have the new latches available in the next two weeks, in both red and natural aluminum. All aspects of the latch are the same as the previous versions with the addition of the mod needed for the Classic Aero interiors.

Keep in mind the new latch version is only needed if you are planning on using the Classic Aero interior. There are dozens of the standard latches out there now in 14's. No comparison with the stock Van's latch.

Thanks for all the support. Take a look at www.jdair.com for accessories for your RV.

Nice! Really looking forward to installing it and seeing how it looks with the Classic Aero panels when they're available.

Very cool! If I thought it would work with my Classic Aero molded interior, I would install one today!

If I had to redo it, the only thing I would change would be to get the red anodized handle so that I wouldn't have to paint it later.
I wouldn't paint it, leave it pollished. The reason is that the paint will wear off over time and look bad.

When I first built my -9, I painted the rails the canopy closes on. Later on, I stripped the paint off because it had become all scrateched from people sitting, standing, sliding baggagge, etc. over it. (OK, that was mostly me doing those things.) With it just gray aluminum it looks fine and I no longer cringe at the scratches.

It will

Hi Bill,

It will. It is ONLY related to the 14 and Classic aero interior. I haven't updated the site yet until I have them in hand.

Very cool! If I thought it would work with my Classic Aero molded interior, I would install one today!

I wouldn't paint it, leave it pollished. The reason is that the paint will wear off over time and look bad.

When I first built my -9, I painted the rails the canopy closes on. Later on, I stripped the paint off because it had become all scrateched from people sitting, standing, sliding baggagge, etc. over it. (OK, that was mostly me doing those things.) With it just gray aluminum it looks fine and I no longer cringe at the scratches.

Clarification

Just a point of clarification. The current latch will work on all models of RV's including the RV14. The ONLY difference is it will not be 100% compatible with the Classic Aero interior. When the new design is released it will work with ALL RV's including the RV14 with Classic Aero Interior.

Keep in mind, Classic Aero is still developing the side pane for the 14 and our latch. My part is done:)

Also, I'll be contacting Van's to offer the latch as an option to all Tip Up models. This would make it much easier for people during the ordering process.

If you look at Darwins site, https://www.jdair.com/custom-tip-up-canopy-latch-for-vans-aircraft-rv-6-rv-7-rv-9-rv-14/ it is obvious this is not a part specific to the RV 14 only-----it fits other models too.

I moved this to the "Review" section, will be easier to find in the future, and should expose the product to builders who may not look at the RV 14 forum.

Back