What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage door alarm

az_gila

Well Known Member
Presently in the UK and contemplating wiring additions for my RV-10 project when I return. :)

The factory has door alarms for checking the main door pins are secure and these will need lights or similar panel warning devices, so why not add a third warning light for the baggage door?

The trouble is that I could not find a good spot for a microswitch location with a completed fuselage frame.

Has anyone come up with a neat solution?

PS The wiring bundles through the cabin area were getting bigger every day. :)

Gil,

I put a micro switch in the upper rear corner. It seemed like the best location to not be seen or snagged on something going in or out of the door. I made the bracket loop around the switch to provide protection. The bracket can be lightly bent to position the switch accurately.

See the pic below for details

20170831_165952.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hi Gil

We put a microswitch inside the channel that supports the rear seat backs, which just intrudes into the space of the top left corner of the door opening. Nicely tucked away in there!

Gil, my $0.02----forgetaboutit.

Not putting in a warning light = less cost, less weight, less time.

Gil, my $0.02----forgetaboutit.

Not putting in a warning light = less cost, less weight, less time.

I thought about that too, but if you are wiring in two for the doors adding one more is probably simpler without a magnetic reed switch involved. :)

The first reply looks doable but I was hoping for details on a more hidden solution.

Hi Gil

We put a microswitch inside the channel that supports the rear seat backs, which just intrudes into the space of the top left corner of the door opening. Nicely tucked away in there!

I'll look at that when I get back, but that structure was already completed by the previous owner of my QB kit.

baggage door switch

I installed mine so that when the tab that holds the door closed engages it operates a micro switch. Door closed and latched.

I installed mine so that when the tab that holds the door closed engages it operates a micro switch. Door closed and latched.

That sounds like a great solution.

If it's OK with you I'll fly down and see it, and your Aerosport interior, when I return to Tucson.

door switch

I am not the builder of my rv-10 but mine have a switch that is wire with the left main door. So the left door and the bagage door have to be close to turn off my light.

I made a new latch tab for the luggage door lock and embedded a round, high strength magnet in it. Then I installed a reed switch for the luggage door lock similar to the ones used for the cabinet door lock pins. When to luggage door is both closed and locked that reed switch is actuated. When all 5 reed switches are actuated, then the "Door Open" annunciation on the G3X screen goes out. I then know that all the doors are both closed and properly latched.

Back