What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A poll for everyone: What is your age?

How old are you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ronschreck

Well Known Member
I am a Director on the staff of the International Aerobatic Club (IAC). As a long-time RV pilot and IAC competitor I have been actively promoting IAC membership to RV pilots whether they are interested in competitive aerobatics or recreational aerobatics for FUN. Your responses to this poll will help target marketing to the RV community. Thank you for participating.

A FREE 6-month membership is still being offered to VAF members. You can sign up HERE.

OFFA

By the way, I still have the red tee shirt you gave me for the 2016 Nationals with "OFFA + 70":p
Willyeyeball
RV-4 slider
lower AL

The great American philosopher Satchel Paige once asked:

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

I am young and full of spunk until I look in the mirror. Then reality sets in.

Looks like a good start to a new Aerobatic competition team. I would suggest "Team Geritol".
If you dont know what that is, you don't belong on the team.

This is almost exactly the age distribution we got when we did a reader poll at Kitplanes- not surprising! A little depressing that we can't seem to crack the deficit at the younger ages....but not surprising.

Paul

Would be interest to poll at what age were you when you made your first flight of your built RV or bought your first RV. Over lay that with this poll. Would the bell distribution lay on top or slightly younger?

This is almost exactly the age distribution we got when we did a reader poll at Kitplanes- not surprising! A little depressing that we can't seem to crack the deficit at the younger ages....but not surprising.

Paul

Yes ... from my experience:

One strong contributing factor is cost; one need some reasonable financial resources to buy the parts, and then there's the shop needed to assemble it.

Another is family; raising kids is a more than full time job when they're young, giving not much time for other big projects. Now that my kidz are in HS and College, I have more free time (and less soccer shuttling, etc).

The results make perfect sense to me.

Kudos to the youngin's who make it all work earlier, and thus have way more time to enjoy these birds!

Not interested in aerobatics.
Been flying RVs since 10/1996.
That's 21 years, and it's still a thrill every take off?
Logged about 2,200 RV hours so far...

Modern Science still hasn't found a cure for the common birthday... :confused:

-Marc

Last edited:
Not interested in aerobatics.
Been flying RVs since 10/1996.
That's 21 years, and it's still a thrill every take off?
Logged about 2,200 RV hours so far...

At 78, greatest thrill is landing...dripped to 4.1%...getting marginalized :) :)

RV is always a pleasure to launch...fine, fine, aluminum mistress...just treat her with respect, she is always there.

What is your age?

Yes ... from my experience:

One strong contributing factor is cost; one need some reasonable financial resources to buy the parts, and then there's the shop needed to assemble it.

Another is family; raising kids is a more than full time job when they're young, giving not much time for other big projects. Now that my kidz are in HS and College, I have more free time (and less soccer shuttling, etc).

The results make perfect sense to me.

Kudos to the youngin's who make it all work earlier, and thus have way more time to enjoy these birds!
Very true. I purchased my 7A partially completed from a "youngster" (25-35) who was told by his wife "you're selling it" when she became pregnant with their first child. I'm in the 56-65 group.
Was closer to the young end of that group when I started the project. Now I'm closing in on the next grouping.
If anyone has any leads on how I can get into the younger group (other than in my own mind), please let me know.

My dad had built a Rans Coyote when I was around 5 years old and later a Zenith CH-601. So in my mind it was always clear that I will once build a plane myself. Thus I started saving money when I was 19. After studying I was working for a project as an structural test engineer (Solarimpulse - the solar airplane who flew around the world), when the president of the swiss experimental aviation community visited us. He talked me into starting my RV immediately. He told me that I will either start when I am still young (not yet married) or after having kids etc.. It seemed logic to me and so I pulled the trigger and started to build my RV-8. Now I have a deal with my girlfriend (most probably future wife). That I can finish the plane and after one year of flying we will attack the project called kids :) Hopefully I will be flying my own built and payed RV when I am 32-33. Luckily I have a very understanding girlfriend who accepted to live in a very small appartement to be able to safe more money for the RV.

36 on first flight

It took me 20 years to go for my first RV ride to my first solo in the one I built , ( I think my lawyer end up with a Malibu during that time ) have had my time machine airworthy for just over a year now and still can't believe what we do is still leagal in our more government is better world !!
I'm 56 !

Wow...

When I first visited this site I was, just barely, in the youngest bracket. It's been more than a few years since then. Oh how the time does fly...

I'm in the older group but "self-identify" in a younger group. How do I answer the poll? :D

Bevan

I am currently 29 and working on my 7A wings (fuse ordering next month). The wife and I don't have kids yet but are trying to so I have been building like crazy to get things done. Yes building airplanes is no doubt expensive, however, the wife and I made a decision to not own a 400k house, bought a fixer upper and don't buy new cars, diesel trucks, four wheelers, or campers. I think the biggest problem with building a plane for most is they don't want to realize that if they decide to go down the road they most likely will have to give up some things to accomplish it, for me not owning new cars all the time sure seems worth it!!! Also, I am a high school teacher and she does nails, if we can afford it than many more people should be able to.

I'm with Bevan: a 22 year old looks back at me in the mirror, but AARP keeps sending me inquiries. :D

Back