What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Trim Kit

scissg

I'm New Here
New builder here. Inventorying my empennage kit and see a small stack of aluminum (rectangle in shape) labeled "Empennage Trim Kit". Was wondering if this was extra aluminum that can be used to practice riveting, drilling holes, dimpling, etc.? Don't want to practice on a something needed later in the build :eek:. Thanks!

George

New builder here. Inventorying my empennage kit and see a small stack of aluminum (rectangle in shape) labeled "Empennage Trim Kit". Was wondering if this was extra aluminum that can be used to practice riveting, drilling holes, dimpling, etc.? Don't want to practice on a something needed later in the build :eek:. Thanks!

George

Elevator Trim Parts.

Not sure what plane you are building, but for mine (7) I never used any of those parts. They are from what I have heard, extra pieces vans sends incase you mess up something. Most probably really screw up the trim tab and some fabricate riblets. Personally, I wouldn’t use them for practice. I’d save them and did, to use during building, for fabricating stuff, using as a doubler incase you wallow a rivet hole while drilling the HS spar, etc. But, you could use them as practice if you really wanted to, or use the vans practice kits to mess with.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep them set aside for the (fully expected) mistakes. I have Van's practice kits so will use them to refine my riveting techniques.

Back