What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low time Pilot, New (to me) RV, motion sickness

Hongie

Hi All, long time lurker here, only a couple of posts.

I received my recreational cert. back in 2012 (Australian equiv of a sport pilot i suppose).

Background:
My 1st flight was in a Fly Synthesis Texan, on a hot bumpy day. Another student on the ground before my flight said, "Don't throw up!". We got into the circuit started doing basic effects of controls etc. I'm getting greener. I said to the instructor, "i'm going to spew!" He handed me a towel and I used that. Nothing actually came out of me, just a big burp, was a strange experience. We landed, and I called it quits for the day.

I ended continuing my training, and it took me, according to my logbook, about 19 hours to go solo. I battled air sickness the whole way. I then completed the endorsements I wanted (cross country, radio, passenger etc).
My instructor was(and is) convinced its all in my head. I, to a point, agree. Sometimes I would feel sick before we were even airborn. It was never a case of being nervous about the flying or the landing. I knew I could land it, fly it, navigate etc. I was afraid of being sick.

I kept flying for another year or so in a rented aircraft, which was a ICP Savannah with a very light wing loading, STOL kind of aircraft. Probably not ideal for our climate. Hot, humid, bumpy etc. Then work rosters and things changed, didnt have time to continue flying.

Fast forward to present day. I now have a lofty sum of 60 hours total time.

On the weekend, I pulled the trigger and bought a RV-7a superior io360 cs dynon SV touch etc, nice plane.

Went for a short flight with the owner, and again its the middle of our summer, hot humid and bumpy, After 15 mins, I'm asking to go home. No vomiting, just the sweats and queezy.

I know it has been a considerable amount of time since I've flown, and I'll never be an aerobatic king, but I'm stubborn and have wanted an RV ever since I found a stack of sport aviation magazines in a secondhand shop when I was a kid.

But now I'm thinking I've made a mistake. More then anything, I get angry/disappointed/ashamed about being sick, and disappointed that I cant enjoy what has been my passion since I could talk!

Sorry for the long winded post.

input/opinions appreciated.

There is a wrist band available that discharges a small current into the nerves under your wrist. ?Relief band? ? Something like that. I know some people that swear by them, for preventing air sickness.

Does it happen more when you are NOT the one flying? Being in control and having something to do seems to help a lot. The quicker responsiveness of the RV may have something to do with it as well.

I have a pretty iron stomach, and had 200ish vomit-free hours before finishing my RV -but doing RV transition training on a hot south Florida day, I felt pretty bad on the first flight, where I wasn't doing as much of the flying. After recovering on the ground, I did all the flying on the next flight, and felt much better. Still not 100%, but better each of the next few flights. Now I have 200 hours in the RV with no more issues.

Also, try to fly early in the morning or when it cools off in the evening, when the air is cooler and calmer, at least while you get comfortable. It will get better, I can almost guarantee it. Enjoy your RV!

Chris

I had exactly the same thing when I started flying again after quite an interruption and then building my 8. The first few flights were horrible with sweating and very queasy stomach. Stubborn I am though, and in time it went away. I can still make myself sick with enough yanking an banking, but for the most part I'm ok.

Try Ginger root. Lots of folks say it works. I think it worked for me, placebo or not!

I have a rule for passengers, I'm very happy to turn over control of the airplane to you, but if you turn me green, times up!

A bit of straight and level with my own hand guiding the ship brings me back from the brink.

Hang in and don't give up.

Stay with it. Bob Hoover, the greatest pilot of all time, talked about how hard it was for him to overcome the nausea when he first started flying and teaching himself aerobatics. Many sailors will throw up the first few days at sea and then be fine for the duration. I had a hard time with nausea when I first started aerobatic training to the point where I could only do about 3 maneuvers and then had to go home. I'm fine now.

It's mostly in your head, but you have to keep at it and it'll go away

I started flight training to see if I could overcome sickness

Brad:
Really bad for me in the beginning as well. Found when I climbed above the bumps into cooler air, the problem went away. Still don't like steep turn and spins- I tend to fly VERY smoothly even today. That was 47 years and thousands of hours ago.
I really enjoy rough time weather sailing, but I turn into a puker if I even stick my head belowdecks. It's an inner ear thing, I guess. I've discovered where the "edges" are for me and haven't been sick for years. Good luck.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Fast forward to present day. I now have a lofty sum of 60 hours total time.

On the weekend, I pulled the trigger and bought a RV-7a superior io360 cs dynon SV touch etc, nice plane.

Went for a short flight with the owner, and again its the middle of our summer, hot humid and bumpy, After 15 mins, I'm asking to go home. No vomiting, just the sweats and queezy.

I know it has been a considerable amount of time since I've flown, and I'll never be an aerobatic king, but I'm stubborn and have wanted an RV ever since I found a stack of sport aviation magazines in a secondhand shop when I was a kid.

But now I'm thinking I've made a mistake. More then anything, I get angry/disappointed/ashamed about being sick, and disappointed that I cant enjoy what has been my passion since I could talk!

Sorry for the long winded post.

input/opinions appreciated.
Don't feel too bad (and please forgive the terrible pun...:p). I gave away a career in the back end of a Herc because I got too airsick, but now happily fly my -9 with nary a hint of uneasiness. It does go away, even being bounced around in an Australian summer.

What worked for me usually is being conscious of what I'd eat the morning before flying. Usually just jam on toast, with a glass of water, or similar. No juice, milk or tea. The other consideraion is the type of flying you'll be doing. If going cross=country, go as high as the weather allows. Smoother, more efficient, better glide range and better visibility usually.

Being PIC you'll probably find you have less time to worry about being airsick vs actually flying the plane and thinking about this-and-that.

As a kid I went up in a bait spotting tower of a boat in swells. Got sick. All day long, rode it out in the boat. That cold KY Fried drumstick that stayed down was my first favorite meal. Nothing since bothered me until my first summer Pitts dual after college.

Flew gliders, including acro by 14. Fast turn rate light loading, quick but low g onset. Not much air sickness seen there teaching in a large club. Acro Dual- saw some airsickness, but mostly poor food choices before ride. About the same proportion as USAF pilot training.

I know at least the USAF aerospace physiology folks will work over a willing student in a "Barany" spin chair system until they acclimate their inner ear. That seems to help get most of the willing over the hump for the heat and bumps and acro.

I'm no medical type, I have no idea what is available in the civilian world aside from enjoying cool, smoother early and late day on one hand. Take dual from someone that can take over as PIC if you don't knock it off soon enough with higher heat, bumps, turn and roll rates, g onsets and durations on the other hand.

It does not sound like a lack of will, skill or some kind of apprehension in your post- just sounds like an inner ear that does not equal your enthusiasm.

Suggestions:

1. Be well hydrated. This is a huge air sickness cause.

2. Make sure you are well-rested. Again, a huge cause.

3. Look at the horizon.

4. Put your hands and feet on the controls. Much better than being the passenger.

Take a day and don't train. Grab your CFI and Plan a 30-45minute flight for lunch or a "simple get a water and walk around stop". Normal take-off, climb high to the smooth cool air, keep it high until close to stay out of the heat and bumps. Walk around, stretch and do it in reverse. Keep it simple, NO learning! let your instructor or pilot friend do all the thinking (maybe even the take-off and landing). partially getting info overload is my guess.
You need to get back to enjoying flight.

at least it worked for me many years ago. good luck

For me the cure was hydration and practice, practice, practice. The more steep turns I did the more acclimated I became to them. The more turbulence I experience the more accustomed to it I became. I still hate summer convective turbulence here in Texas, but I can handle it better.

Also, there is a world of difference between being a passenger and being the pilot. I find that 'queasiness' is more common for me if I am a passenger.

Bananas

I second what others shared. Rest, hydration and last meal. Don't go up on a big fatty meal. Banana was always my go to meal before flight. Tastes the same going down and coming up!

I to fought motion sickness early on in my training, almost quit several times, it?s progressively improved over the five years since receiving my ticket. I?ve accumulated approximately 700 hrs tt and around 300 in the RV and I can guarantee it can be overcome as I?m proof. I make myself nauseous occasionally during higher g flight but the more I push it the more it takes to feel sick. I believe it can be overcome.

In addition to others' suggestions and comments, I'll add a few:

1. Fly early or very late in the day when the air is smoother.
2. Consider using scopolamine patch. Ginger is good, scopolamine helps many. (EDIT: USAF allows scopolamine as I recall, apparently FAA doesn't - probably would have to check with AME equivalent in your country. I've never needed it so didn't due appropriate research!)
3. When you experience symptoms, as others have stated, focus on the horizon. Make smooth, small control inputs. As you develop more tolerance you can increase inputs.
4. Strongly agree that being "in control" helps immensely.
5. Avoid as much as possible going "head down" looking at instruments, iPad etc. As noted, outside visual reference is important - this helps your brain resolve perceived differences in visual and somatic inputs (sensations of motion in space) which seems to be one of the causes of motion sickness.

When I was a US Air Force flight surgeon, motion sickness was a very common problem, usually managed successfully - the Air Force was very reluctant to move someone out of a flying job once they were trained or in training. Loadmasters, who worked "in the back" had the worst challenge with this - they were not in control, didn't have visual reference, etc. But even this group usually got through OK, mostly having episodic issues as opposed to continual.

Last edited:
...More then anything, I get angry/disappointed/ashamed about being sick...

I'm with you on the first two, but I don't feel ashamed about it! For me it just is...

I get motion sickness sitting backwards on a train, and I'd so much rather drive than be a passenger.
I also scuba dive, and I'm the first off the boat and last back on to minimise the nausea. I've fed the fish through my regulator more than once!

When I fly or dive I take hyoscine hydrobromide tablets, aka Kwells beforehand. They work really well for me with zero side effects. Other tablets I've tried knock me out for the rest of the day a few hours later. (Wikipedia says its the same thing as scopolamine mentioned above)

Not a long term fix like the great responses above, but it works for me!

Congrats on your new purchase!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I've tried the relief band, it seemed to help somewhat. I've tried the natural remedies of ginger and ginger tablets and I notice no difference.

I dont believe that I would be able to obtain scopolamine in australia without a prescription anyways.

I'll read up on Kwell, and give that a go.

Its encouraging to see that so many of you have also gone through this, and have overcome it.

I suppose buying the aircraft is my way of making myself fly and overcome it. With the rental aircraft I could always find a reason not to go. Now, with a serious amount of money in the game, I hope that will make me get up and do it. Expensive experiment huh.

When I was an instructor pilot in the Air Force teaching young lieutenants to fly their first jet, I used a popular method that helped the few of them who got airsick to overcome it. First, I made it clear that they weren't gong to solo until they could show me they could puke and fly the airplane at the same time. In other words, unless we were in the traffic pattern, I would not take control of the aircraft while they fumbled for a sick sack, etc. So, they had to:
1. Make sure, before takeoff that a sick sack was available and could be opened with one hand. When they felt they were going to vomit --
2. Disconnect their oxygen mask.
3. Trim the aircraft and hold the stick with their knees to keep wings level.
4. Throw up.
5. Tie up the sick sack and stow it carefully.
6. Re-connect their oxygen mask and continue with the mission.
Usually, after one or two such events, they got over it.
The key to this is keeping the aircraft trimmed hands-off at all times, which my students learned when I made them take their hand off the stick on final approach.
I'd also recommend scheduling flights in VFW (very fine weather) conditions until you are more familiar with the aircraft. Even with 3,500 hours, I found it took me about 20 hours to feel really comfortable in my RV-8.
Hope this is helpful.

I will chime in here as I am an "expert" on motion sickness, unfortunately.

I use the wrist motion sickness band "relief band". It does work. I have to say the posts here are correct and I didn't believe it at first, it does get better over time! I rarely use it anymore. Also, just never be a passenger. That works.

Hang in there

I got sick during primary training, but I hung in there. I got sick during instrument training, but stuck with it. I got sick during aerobics but I hung in there. Over the years I accumulated 2500 hours and found that I get sick less.

The key is repeating things you are comfortable with many times. Then slowly moving to things less comfortable and repeating those until they became comfortable.

Stick with it, it can be conquered

GARY Specketer

Oh what a relief it is!

When I was an instructor pilot in the Air Force teaching young lieutenants to fly their first jet, I used a popular method that helped the few of them who got airsick to overcome it. First, I made it clear that they weren't gong to solo until they could show me they could puke and fly the airplane at the same time. In other words, unless we were in the traffic pattern, I would not take control of the aircraft while they fumbled for a sick sack, etc. So, they had to:
1. Make sure, before takeoff that a sick sack was available and could be opened with one hand. When they felt they were going to vomit --
4. Throw up.
6. Re-connect their oxygen mask and continue with the mission.

As a retired USAF Command Pilot I can assure you that air sickness can be over come if you work at it. I held my UPT (Under Graduate Pilot Training) class record for air sickness incidents. Too many upchucks to count!! Some folks just have sensitive inner ears and when conditions of stress increase, combined with heat and motion, we can become a little “green.”

I do recommend you persevere and not give up your dreams. Follow the techniques others here have offered and most importantly ensure an air vent is directly pointed towards your face when it gets warm. I will also add something I haven’t seen recommended yet; that is get a cool, wet towel and keep it around your neck when flying it hot weather. Keep a cold bottle of water (in an insulated sleeve) next to your leg so that you can both take a drink and re-wet your neck towel. This will help settle your “green feelings” when they arise. Immediate water is also useful to clean things up a little when needed! (Laugh)

Like the above USAF instructor said, I wasn’t allowed to fly solo until I demonstrated the ability to take off my mask, up chuck into a freshly opened bag, tie it off with one hand, put it back in my leg pocket, reconnect my mask and continue with my instruction. Later on I had to demonstrate the same skill set maintaining position while flying wing tip formation aerobatics. (Like I said, class record!)

Eventually you will overcome this inner ear sensitivity and be a better pilot because of it. You learn to focus on what’s important and ignore the rest. Good luck and stay with it.

P.S. Do your friends and family a favor - don’t take them flying until you’ve conquered this sensitivity. They will quickly lose confidence in your newly arrived skill set and be grossed out too. It may take a couple of years. But flying is worth it!

Last edited:
Thanks OP for bringing this up. Your thread is a very timely one after yesterday. I had some serious thoughts if this whole pilot thing was going to be for me. I didn't know that there were many others out there that experienced it on early flights.

I have traveled many, many miles by airliner and some in very bad turbulence. Never a hint of airsickness. Ever. Then yesterday happened.

I have a friend who has a PPL and he knows I am about to start training, so he thought I would have fun if I rode along with him on an afternoon joyride in a 172.

He wanted to practice on some steep turns and slow flight then some short and soft field landings at different airports. I was good until we got to the training area and started turns. Aye carumba! This is NOT good. That old feeling from decades earlier on the Tilt-A-Whirl came back suddenly.

I never hurled, but I fought it all the way back. All afternoon. It was a little bumpy, but not too bad at all considering the size of the plane. The worst was tight turns and then hitting turbulence and having the plane unexpectantly move out from under you and jostle you around.

I never even thought about over the counter type medicines like Dramamine would be not legal for use. I guess I will trudge on as this seems to be a problem others have successfully dealt with.

Airsick

My Dad was a B26 pilot in WWII. He said he had a problem with air sickness during training. In fact he had one last chance and if he got sick again he would be washed out. I asked what happened. He said he went out that night and got way drunk and told himself washing out didn't matter. Said he never got air sick again. I doubt the drinking did anything but probably the mental attitude did.

Like most of the guys here, I had a fair amount of difficulty overcoming airsickness at the beginning. With time, you will become accustomed to all of the unusual motion and the queasiness will diminish.

I found ginger to be a big help. No, not her; the root. Ginger ale, candied ginger even a ginger beer after I was done flying for the day. All of it helped until, many months later, I was able to tolerate flying on the leeward side of the Rocky Mountains during the summer. Thought I'd never get there!

I never expected such a response from you guys.

I dont know if this is a thing, but i've always wondered, if that guy had not said to me on the ground before my 1st lesson "dont throw up", would I have even been sick? Not that it would be his fault, as I'm obviously susceptible to it.

Perhaps, as I am so passionate about it, the thought that I am "failing" by being sick it makes it that much worse. Its only my passion and, I suppose, my stubbornness, that has got me to this point. My boss and my partner both know that I'm a stubborn SOB, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.

I said up in an earlier post i feel ashamed. Maybe that is too strong of a word, but with this male psyche that we are blessed/cursed with, its not cool/manly/tough/whatever to be sick or weak, therefore, one tries to hide it, not acknowledge it etc, and in turn, it probably never gets addressed.

So, all that being said, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll go out and keep cracking.

Anyway, here is a couple of pics of my toy
https://imgur.com/a/xIDEs
https://imgur.com/a/Y1beR

Last edited:
Very often motion sickness is due to unrecognized fear at a low level, such as unfamiliarity or as pointed out, lack of control. It can be handled, and all pilots get nerves from time to time. Not sure who to recommend other than a very calm, reassuring been there done that CFI.

Best to ya!

Ed

Another possibility is that if you have a passive attitude towards flying instead of an I’m in control attitude, that could contribute. (I’ve had students who had to learn to be in control.)

But even with 3,000+ hours, I can be mighty tired and bordering on queasy after a long hot day in the bumps.

Ed

Last edited:
Here are your pics. Nice toy!
snip!

Thanks Mate, I couldnt seem to get the hotlinking working.

I've got a complete oregon aero interior to go in as well. Its a fairly basic panel compared to some of the works of art I've seen on the good ship VAF, but its plenty for me. The lack of an ordinary ASI bothers me a little. I feel that a quick glance down to see the needle position and then back up and outside will be easier to interpret on short final, but time will tell.

Even Bob Hoover had to deal with overcoming motion sickness, as he described in the book " Forever Flying". Try a few non training flights in cool smooth air, before or at sunrise. Then build your tolerance from there.

Great Advice here

as was posted earlier by an instructor pilot... "I used a popular method that helped the few of them who got airsick to overcome it. First, I made it clear that they weren't gong to solo until they could show me they could puke and fly the airplane at the same time. In other words, unless we were in the traffic pattern, I would not take control of the aircraft while they fumbled for a sick sack, etc. So, they had to:
4. Throw up.
6. Re-connect their oxygen mask and continue with the mission."

He's right on in my opinion. I especially like the part about flying the airplane no matter what. If you don't give yourself a way out (ie giving it to your CFI) you will soon have this issue under control. Then go on to loving your decision to buy your plane.:)

The lack of an ordinary ASI bothers me a little. I feel that a quick glance down to see the needle position and then back up and outside will be easier to interpret on short final, but time will tell.

You can set up the Skyview to show round dials if you prefer, but it doesn't take long to get used to the tape display. With that RV as motivation and flying left seat, your air sickness will probably disappear before too long as well. Best of luck.

Round vs tape (and somewhat on topic)...
* If you know what the reading (airspeed, altitude) should be and you're watching it all the time, like when you're hand-flying an ILS, tapes and dials are roughly equivalent;
* If you have no knowledge of what the reading should be, and need to get information at a glance, dials win;
* If the reading is changing rapidly, dials win;
* If the numeric readout on the tape is directly above the tape itself, then you've effectively got just a numeric readout when it comes to fine adjustments.

I've flown tapes doing research in the engineering simulators at Boeing and Gulfstream, but I fly round dials in the -9A.

It's interesting that over the years, many manufacturers have faithfully emulated the limitations of a small attitude indicator instead of using all available screen real estate -- there's a reason that the early jets had 5" attitude indicators instead of 3". And Dynon on its early round dial displays put a small attitude indicator in front of a synthetic vision display, and the horizon lines were offset. Their chief engineer and I had some serious disagreements on that design point...

Last edited:
I had a pretty severe problem with airsickness. First example was doing spins on my first small plane ride, in a C-150 in the 1970's.

Second example was AFROTC summer camp T-37 ride. There I didn't upchuck but I was close.

Got my PPL and then taildragger endoresment and didn't really have any trouble.

Then I moved to aerobatic training. Very bad case. I stick with it and learned several things - most (if not all) were listed in this thread:

1) No burger and fries before the flight

2) Having the IP on the controls makes it all worse even if I know what he or she is about to do (aerobatics only - regular flying it's not an issue).

3) I MUST keep a blast of fresh cool air on my face and keep my body cool. I would fly with just a jean jacket in Winter when the IP was all bundled up in the back seat.

4) Ginger never helped me. YMMV

5) Wrist band never helped me. YMMV

6) I read Bob Hoover's account and knew I could beat it.

7) I learned where the edge was. When I went up for aerobatic instruction I identified these four points:

Defcon 4 - I'm not queasy all is well

Defcon 3 - I'm sweating and maybe starting to burp

Defcon 2 - I now feel queasy but throwing up is not imminent. THIS is where I stopped the aerobatics and flew back for T&G's. I MUST stop here. Even one more maneuver can push me over the edge.

Defcon 1 - I've gone one maneuver too far. It's likely to happen

At first I could do only ONE aerobatic maneuver and then it was Defcon 2 and RTB. I kept at it. After a few flights I could do two...then a few more I could do 3...and in time I could fly acro the entire hour. Though one time I was on final, asked the IP to take over, threw up in the bag, closed it, took the controls back and landed.

8) I think there's a huge psychological impact here. Once one is afraid of getting sick then the worries about getting sick make it more likely.

9) Smells can be part of the psychological impact. The smell of the Super Decathlon I was flying would be enough to bring on the worries and even a belly flutter.

10) If I got acclimated and could do acro for an hour...and then didn't fly acro for 2-3 months I regressed. I lost most of the acclimation. But it came back faster. Just keep an eye out for Defcon 2.

11) Flying smoothly even in acro and not ramming the stick hard and fast will get you further before Defcon 2.

12) I did not try Dramamine because it makes me sleepy.

So all of my acro (instruction and solo) was done in a Super Decathlon with a little bit in a Citabria. Then I laid off the acro and bought the RV-8. Knowing myself as I do, I figured maybe one loop or roll and I'd have to stop.

No...I was shocked. I could do acro all day long so long as I didn't whip the plane around hard and fast. The reason, I think, is the bubble canopy. I felt enclosed in the Decathlon and that helped to generate/exacerbate the "my ear says I'm rolling but my eyes say I'm not" problem.

In the bubble I'm always looking outside and there's no enclosed feeling.

Stick with it. You are not the only one that has had to deal with this by a long shot.

Do not feel ashamed. Happens to the very best. Just don't quit. Do not be afraid to stop RIGHT NOW if you are getting close - even if you are paying for instruction.

Be assured you will make it.

Hints of keeping your stomach under control doing aerobatics:
* Start and stop all maneuvers smoothly. Some instructors like to slam the stick to get crisp starts and stops like airshow pilots, but that's really hard to take and not necessary for fun aerobatics;
* As much as possible, have your eyes (not necessarily your head) along the axis of rotation of the airplane;
* Try not to turn you head under G loads, or if you do (like going from looking forward to watching the wing tip during a loop), turn your head slowly and no more than necessary;
* Do the G tensing maneuvers, even if it's only a few Gs.

Smooth flying, smooth stomach. Rough flying...

Ed

Thanks guys for all the input on this subject. I feel that ms is getting worse the older I get. I went through extensive medical testing this last August to make sure that the problem was only in my head and not a symptom of another illness.
The combination of stress and optic distortion even gets me sick on smooth night flights although it's a different feeling of sick, no headache.
I can't help myself from going back for more airsickness! I have found that I have to fly often to keep it in check. It's reassuring to see that I'm not alone in the battle.

Stan

I'm instructing a friend in his RV-8 and he has the same symptoms.

Obviously taking the controls is a must.

RVs are very sensitive in the pitch controls, we're working on this and it runs.

Keep practice, and don't give up !

Observations from the boat, one time.....I took the fam and friends out to sea in a small boat, all was good while we were under way bow going up and down, everyone was fine then we stopped to fish, now there was 3 axis stuff going on and It was a chain reaction I was telling everyone to feed the fish and stop puking in my boat!, wife did not like that comment at all and got mad at me...... WHAT?

An earlier poster mentioned smells as a trigger... Oh boy, was he right on the money!

A couple of years ago I had a friend offer to take me on a lapping event at the local race track. Great fun! That is, until somebody ahead of us had some serious brake problems. We drove through his cloud of brake smoke and I was almost instantly ill. I've never been able to tolerate the smell of burning brakes. I've got a reasonably good stomach but wow was my reaction to that brake odour instant and negative.

My wife has always had an uneasy stomach for flying. Slowly building up her confidence through smooth sunset flights has really helped her. Last time she went flying with me she wanted me to turn around some scenery on the ground. I managed 45 degrees of bank quite easily and she didn't even notice. Got up to 60 degrees with a slow roll-in, and again she didn't notice. We talked about it when we got back home and she was amazed that such steep turns had gone literally unnoticed because she was so intently focused on looking down the wing at the item on the ground. Pretty cool to see how she has adapted over time.

From puker to Airline Capt

Got my PPL in college then headed to UPT with the Air Force. Got queasy early on taking lessons and getting rides from recruiters and friends but no upchuck. Fast forward to UPT and got sick on every ride. Washed out after about 10 hours in the T-37 due to airsickness. Man was that a bad day.

Two years later still had the flying bug and decided to get checked out and rent an airplane for fun. Long story short, did the whole CFI thing and commuter flying to get an airline job. 25 years and 18,000 hours later haven?t been sick in an airplane since UPT.

As all have said, take it easy. Don?t try and do too much and when you do feel sick, stop the maneuver, find some smooth air or just get on the ground. It just takes some patience and persistence. Don?t let anyone tell you it?s not manly or you need to be ashamed. It?s just your sensitive inner ear. I just tell my wife it?s made me comfortable with my sensitive side.

To this day the smell of jet fuel or exhaust takes me right back to those UPT days, but thankfully doesn?t make me sick. But I know if I go up in a small plane and the pilot wants to try and make me sick I?ll bet he can. Just a matter of getting used to it. This too shall pass.

Dave

I have no medical training but this is my experience.

I have been flying since the mid 1970's but went through a period a few years back when I would sometimes feel mildly nauseous when not flying and would get very nauseous when flying. I was doing an IFR rating at the time and was considering giving it up. Went to my doctor and came back positive for helicobacter pylori (the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers). Took the prescribed antibiotics and the nausea went away. The bacteria is common with about 40% of people over 40 years infected. It affects people differently with most having no obvious symptoms. Personally I know two others that had a similar experience to me.

Also half a Quells worked for me.

YMMV

Fin 9A
Australia (Guyra)

I have no medical training but this is my experience.

I have been flying since the mid 1970's but went through a period a few years back when I would sometimes feel mildly nauseous when not flying and would get very nauseous when flying. I was doing an IFR rating at the time and was considering giving it up. Went to my doctor and came back positive for helicobacter pylori (the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers). Took the prescribed antibiotics and the nausea went away. The bacteria is common with about 40% of people over 40 years infected. It affects people differently with most having no obvious symptoms. Personally I know two others that had a similar experience to me.

Also half a Quells worked for me.

YMMV

Fin 9A
Australia (Guyra)

My only qualm with seeing a doctor is endangering my medical. So was the helicobacter pylori the root cause of your motion sickness?

Puma method

I feel for anyone with this issue. My first six lessons I came home and puked every time. Much better now, but still get oogy on occasion.

Might I suggest http://www.pumamethod.com. Dr. Puma is way credentialed and knows his way around this issue. In desperation I purchased his training program and it worked for me. Very high praise for him and this program, at least check out his website.

Good luck and feel free to ask any specific questions directly if you have any.

My only qualm with seeing a doctor is endangering my medical.
Speaking from personal experience -- that, my friend, can a highly dangerous attitude. If you think you might need to talk to your doc, then by all means talk to your doc.

Speaking from personal experience -- that, my friend, can a highly dangerous attitude. If you think you might need to talk to your doc, then by all means talk to your doc.

I should clarify. I mean for a non critical thing like this. If there was anything seriously wrong I would be at my GP quick-smart

I feel for anyone with this issue. My first six lessons I came home and puked every time. Much better now, but still get oogy on occasion.

Might I suggest http://www.pumamethod.com. Dr. Puma is way credentialed and knows his way around this issue. In desperation I purchased his training program and it worked for me. Very high praise for him and this program, at least check out his website.

Good luck and feel free to ask any specific questions directly if you have any.

So its essentially a desensitization program?

I should clarify. I mean for a non critical thing like this. If there was anything seriously wrong I would be at my GP quick-smart
That was my exact philosophy as well. :) But yeah, airsickness is probably not a big danger sign.

Puma method

So its essentially a desensitization program?

Yes. Explained in the DVD is an analogy of an ice skater who twirls endlessly. If one were to try it for the very first time, we would all get sick. But one twirl, then two, three and so on. Eventually you can condition your brain to accept the motion as acceptable.

I got sick on merry-go rounds as a kid, and often car sick. But this did really work for me.

I believe motion sickness can be overcome with time. If this were not the case, the Navy would be filled with VERY unhappy people living on ships. I think this proves that time will allow one's body to adapt to the motion. Though, I suspect the time required to adapt is quite variable. My son was prone to seasickness. It took some time, but each trip on the boat became less intense for him.

That said, it may not be best to be the solo PIC in the early stages of adapting. Maybe find a colleague to fly with until the feelings are manageable and won't interfere with your ability to fly. Not just the basics, but clear enough to handle complex or emergency situations. Being mentally "at our best" increases the chances of successfully dealing with a complex and stressful situation.

I am convinced that if you stick with it, you will overcome it in time.

Larry

Last edited:
One thing you can do is simply remain in the pattern. Nothing wrong with lots of take offs and landings. You learn a lot about the airplane that way. And then over time I bet your confidence level will grow and you'll be anxious to expand outward.

I remember, when fighting this, that one really important mental/emotional goal was to BE convinced that what you plan on doing is totally doable and you will not have any trouble with airsickness doing it. Doesn't really matter what sort of flying you are doing so pattern work is a great way to achieve that goal.

I knew that by staying in the pattern there was almost no chance of airsickness. For one thing you are busy and you won't be dwelling on it. For another you know that your next landing can always be a full stop if you get even a hint of the problem.

Boom done...you will NOT be airsick on this next hop.

This removes the anxiety that can occur prior to a flight and anxiety about airsickness can increase the chances of being sick.

One thing you can do is simply remain in the pattern. Nothing wrong with lots of take offs and landings. You learn a lot about the airplane that way. And then over time I bet your confidence level will grow and you'll be anxious to expand outward.

I remember, when fighting this, that one really important mental/emotional goal was to BE convinced that what you plan on doing is totally doable and you will not have any trouble with airsickness doing it. Doesn't really matter what sort of flying you are doing so pattern work is a great way to achieve that goal.

I knew that by staying in the pattern there was almost no chance of airsickness. For one thing you are busy and you won't be dwelling on it. For another you know that your next landing can always be a full stop if you get even a hint of the problem.

Boom done...you will NOT be airsick on this next hop.

This removes the anxiety that can occur prior to a flight and anxiety about airsickness can increase the chances of being sick.

I had noticed in early stages when i was training, that coming off a nav I might feel sick, as soon as I was in the mind set of pattern work, I would forget about it. That being said, pattern work at my strip will not be possible for too long, as its a little grass strip with a few fly neighborly issues.

Back