View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 10:08 PM

Default My method

I've had a few questions on my method recently an decided to document my method. I'm a big fan of Howard Leight Max Lite ear plugs. I have small ear canals, so these may not be the best option for everyone.

What you need:
  1. ~.125" thick wall heat shrink tube or equivalent. I can't remember where I bought mine, but it's perfect. Once I found it, I bought a bunch.
  2. Ear Plugs
  3. Leather hole punch
  4. Cyanoacrylate Adhesive (aka super glue)
  5. Scissors, blade wielding LEGO ninja, or other cutting implement.

While you're forced to watch a movie, major sporting event, or some other colossal waste of time prep a bunch of ear plugs by removing them from the package and cutting an equal number of pieces of heat shrink to bout 1/4" longer than the ear plugs. 1.25" in this case.

Set the hole punch to an appropriate size. On this unit from the Home Depot (I think), size 4 does the job.

Squash an ear plug between two fingers. Don't let it buckle, don't let it fold, keep it straight. If it's not straight move to the next and let it recover while you squash its brethren.

You want THIS:

Not THIS:

Punch a hole in the center of the ear plug, and remove the core:

Working quickly, insert the pre-cut tube from the brain end of the earplug. Not the headset end. Before fully seating it, apply a small drop of the adhesive at the end and then pull the tube flush. Give the tube a slight twist as you seat it to distribute the adhesive. The idea is to have only the brain (or eardrum if you prefer) end of the heatshrink bonded but to allow the rest of the earplug to be able to move on the tube as needed.

Continued next post:
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.