VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forming aluminum for a cooling outlet fairing (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=83719)

g zero 03-11-2012 04:19 PM

You would be amazed at what you can form over wood blocks and other objects in the shop or the wife's kitchen. I have a small lathe and machined some plastic tips that I use with a rivet gun. Shirnkers and Strechers are great if you have them . We have and English wheel at work , I don't use it much as most projects are too small to work.

paul mosher 03-11-2012 05:08 PM

Pattern

What are you using for a pattern or did you make your own?

hydroguy2 03-11-2012 05:15 PM

Good job, Dan. Glad someone was able to get to the shop this weekend. I just got home from crappy day at work, so don't think I should taking out frustration on Aurora.

frazitl 03-11-2012 05:23 PM

welding

in case you end up wanting to weld to help create compound curves I suggest staying away from 2024. 6061, 5052, and 3000 series weld easily with the right equipment and skill (which I've observed, but have not yet developed BTW).

Still on my list.

gereed75 03-11-2012 07:38 PM

Dan Brian and Bob, Glad you guys are interested. I think that you will be pleased with the results.

I made my prototype set out of aluminum - I think 5052 1/4 hard (not sure what heat treat it was). It was soft enough to be hand formed. I made it in three sections - a left curved piece, a right curved piece and a center section. That way you could fit the two curved sides and make the center section as long as necessary to get the sides expanded and alined into a snug fit inside the stock cowl.

That looks like a pretty good effort Dan, and will certainly serve to check it out.

Sent my prototype out to Bob Mills. I guess he didn't know what a valuable piece he now owns!!

Good luck with it men and I'll help out if I can.

hydroguy2 03-11-2012 08:06 PM

I managed to get to the hangar after all and started roughing out the AL prototype. Should have a flyable version on Tuesday. I have a 4 pipe exhaust so will be different than others. Also looking up the lower cowl, I have a very restricted and cluttered outlet. 4 pipes, engine breather tube, exhaust hangars and heat muff in a opening smaller than factory cowl....I've got work to do.

Sorry about the lousy cell pic.

gereed75 03-11-2012 08:36 PM

Brian, also a good looking start. My first one fit inside the cowl, but for a prototype, you could use duct tape to seal the bottom and hold it in place for a try.

The only other drawback to an aluminum one is that, in my case, my transponder antenna is near the fairing. I flew with the aluminum fairing for about two months and did have one instance of "not receiving your transponder". I was at low altitude when it happened and suspect my antenna was blanked by the aluminum fairing.

Omega232Devils 03-11-2012 09:46 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys. Can't wait to test the fairing. I have a lot of CHT data as I have been working on my baffling to lower my CHTs. I think this fairing was originally a 'speed' mod, but I am doing it to lower CHTs by smoothing exit air. Any speed increase is BONUS!

Hopefully get some test data next week!

Dan

6 Gun 03-12-2012 06:18 AM

metal tools

Lots of cheap metal working tools at Harbour Freight english wheel and air hammer banshing tool and shrinkers and strechers.
Bob

rvmills 03-12-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gereed75 (Post 638660)
<snip> Sent my prototype out to Bob Mills. I guess he didn't know what a valuable piece he now owns!!

Good luck with it men and I'll help out if I can.

Been focused FWF (a bit further fwd anyway) so far this winter, but will take some pics of Gary's proto-parts and post them when I get home from this trip.

Happy to share them as well!

Cheers,
Bob