VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Painting your RV (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   another paint booth (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=130755)

RKellogg 10-20-2015 08:55 AM

well, since you asked...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordodavis (Post 1023009)
Hey Roger, do you have any photos of your paint booth you wrote about?

-Gordon

... I found a couple of pix. The PB uses two existing hanger walls. A third wall and ceiling are 6 mil Visqueen on 2x4 stud frame. The end wall is a full-width roll-up visqueen door, with rope and pulleys.

Nominal size of 12' x 20 ' was just barely adequate for the rolling fuselage. Plenty of room for wings, one at a time. The rolling, rotating cantilevered wing racks made that job much easier. Rotating the wing to an orientation that was easy to see and reach reduced a bunch of errors. When I spotted a sag forming I rotated the wing 180 degrees and the sag quickly disappeared back into the surface, almost like magic. I am willing to spend time/money to make rotating paint fixtures, as the final result is so much better, at least for this amateur. The most embarrassing painting errors occurred on parts that could not easily be rotated. Next time the fuselage will rotate, too.

Header/filter box is visible at far end. Drilled 800 holes in floor, laid out in a repeating pattern that was supposed to eliminate more than three holes on any straight line, for strength. Floor is pressure treated 3/4 plywood on 2x4 PT joists, 24" OC. Floor was strong enough for a frame-up Willys Jeep project. Pix of blower, filters in and out, roll-up door, and chimney are on other computer, methinks, else I can take some new ones....

- Roger

ijustwannafly 10-20-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1022971)
Kyle, the PPG aviation website pictures are not impressive. what's up with that? where's the marketing? especially that lower picture on the left.

Steve

I have just the guy for you to talk to!

I have spent lots of time on the phone with PPG tech support. I just switched from akzo over a primer debacle to PPG super K and needed lots of info from them

They were so great to deal with! Even as a consumer i got direct contact to tech support (unlike akzo who refuses to speak to consumers) and they answer the phone right away. Same person every time and he is like my own personal support line. He can make recommendations on products and procedures.

Ill PM you. I have just the guy for you to talk to!

A2022 10-20-2015 03:33 PM

what about PPG Concept paint, single stage? urethane! Linen white color, like a Chevy truck. the guy here says he has both grey and white primer. which primer color?

A2022 10-20-2015 03:34 PM

that's a nice booth!

[/quote]

Kyle Boatright 10-20-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1023173)
what about PPG Concept paint, single stage? urethane! Linen white color, like a Chevy truck. the guy here says he has both grey and white primer. which primer color?

Concept comes in a lot of flavors, so check the specifics of the one you're being offered. PPG has changed formulations over the years, with the arrival of newer VOC guidelines and such.

As far as primer color goes, it is best (IMO) to use a contrasting primer (grey, in this case) so you'll have a good indication as to whether you're getting good coverage with your finish coats. OTOH, if you're sure you can lay down even coats, you'd be able to get away with a little less paint over white primer.

Larry DeCamp 10-20-2015 06:05 PM

Blower / fixtures / primer

I used a furnace blower for 10x7x16 booth. It was a lot of velocity. R Kellogg has some elegant analysis. Kyle is correct o primer coor, white over gray can be sensitive to coating weight consistency,ask me how I know. Last, spend the time fixture little parts, don't hang them on wire. They fly and flutter and make things stressful. Fixture as many things as possible to spray down hand not verticals.
Fuse rotisory is a must. I used 3" pvc pipe in wing holes behind the spar for good balance and set them on simple wood stands to rotate. Very simple and makes wings an easy 45 degree application. If you overdo it just rotate to level the paint. Pics by email if desired.

Champ 10-20-2015 06:55 PM

I'm currently setting up a booth in my garage (21x12x9h, studs & 6 mil, 2 2'x2' inlet filters, pull thru furnace fan in the booth, interior florescent lights, using PPG polyurethane on my RV-8. I have used a furnace fan in previous paint booths and have had good ventilation & no appreciable fumes in the booth. Since this paint job will probably be more "intense" than previous jobs I'm a little concerned about the fan motor not being explosion proof. What do you think? Are 1/3 hp explosion proof motors available - used, cheap? Hope I'm not hijacking this thread since it seems to be covering various pb issues.

Larry DeCamp 10-20-2015 07:32 PM

Explosion potential

Dennis,
I have painted 3 airplanes with solvent based paint. Fans ranged from Walmart plastic fan to furnace blower. The issue is Lower Explosin limit of suspended solvent. There s no practical way to know what your solvent density is. But, no explosions!
This last plane as Stewart water based. No concern.

A2022 10-20-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright (Post 1023181)
Concept comes in a lot of flavors, so check the specifics of the one you're being offered. PPG has changed formulations over the years, with the arrival of newer VOC guidelines and such.

As far as primer color goes, it is best (IMO) to use a contrasting primer (grey, in this case) so you'll have a good indication as to whether you're getting good coverage with your finish coats. OTOH, if you're sure you can lay down even coats, you'd be able to get away with a little less paint over white primer.

There are so many variables to paint selection. I probably don't have the experience to pick the right paint the first time around. As far as the grey vs. white primer, lighting will be a concern so maybe it's better to go with the grey. And there is a guy on the internet blasting Concept white saying it turned to chalk within a couple years. bummer.

Sam Buchanan 10-20-2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1023244)
There are so many variables to paint selection. I probably don't have the experience to pick the right paint the first time around. As far as the grey vs. white primer, lighting will be a concern so maybe it's better to go with the grey. And there is a guy on the internet blasting Concept white saying it turned to chalk within a couple years. bummer.

You have to watch out for those guys on the internet.... ;)

Sixteen years on PPG Concept single stage white, black, and red (some of the hardest colors to paint) and the plane is still glossy.

My experience painting with Concept in my backyard shop

And...over a dozen years of white Concept on the '85 S-10, and it still shines very nicely:

And the '74 Beetle painted in my shop with Concept single stage eight years ago (still shines like new):

Unless Concept has gone totally to pot lately, the "guy on the internet" is blowing smoke.