What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE '10: Weatherford, OK - Oct 1/2/3

pazmanyflyer

Well Known Member
So by what I read on the front page today LOE'10 will be in OK instead of NM this year? I'm curious to know why? I've been plagued by maintenance the last two years and unable to attend. This year I am ready for the trip but if it's in OK, that has more than doubled my trip length and cost. My 7 is nowhere near flyable and at only 100 kts in my current flying plane, this move is a trip killer for me.

Man I'm bummed. :mad:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm bummed too. Santa Teresa was close to my home, family, and favorite restaurants. It had become a tradition for us all to meet there. How can I get good Southern New Mexican food in Oklahoma?!

At least my RV is flying and it's only about a 2.5 hour trip. It would be un-reachable for me as well without the RV.

Guy

Update! Room reserved at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. See Y'all there!

Last edited:
It's all relative!

Burlington Colorado, the roots of the RV fly-in. I was building during the Burlington days but would drive or hitch a RV ride to get there. It was always a good time.

Then came Lost Crutches New Mexico. The original "LOE". No complaints with the move as I now had an RV I could use to get there. Weather kept us home one year.

When it moved to Santa Teresa I was bummed. I really liked Los Cruces and was against the move to 5T6. Well, we went anyway and had a great time. Been to all of em too.

Now comes Weatherford OK. I'll be there unless weather prohibits flight. I already have a room reserved at the Holliday Inn Express (walking distance to the airport) and the weekend marked on my calendar.

Come join us, meet new friends and joke about the ones who thought it was to far.

I think you will find that the Oklahoma location is closer to many more people than farther.

I think you will find that the Oklahoma location is closer to many more people than farther.

I was thinking similarly - when the Air Tractor gang held their very informal factory tour fly-in earlier this year, more than 65 RV's flew in to North Texas - it was within easy reach of a single tank of gas for an awful lot of people. I really like the desert southwest, the mountains, and atmosphere of New Mexico, and like to get there whenever I can - but if the goal is a LOT of RV's in a relaxed, informal weekend, OK might be a good choice. My guess is that if the weather is good, they could have a lot of airplanes on the ramp that weekend.

Gonna' need a new name though!;)

I think no matter where this particular event occurs, it can't make everyone happy. The geography of the Country is just too large to safely accomodate travel to/from a 3-day event, allowing for weather impacts. The cool thing is that by moving it around once in a while other people will get to participate in this wonderful event that they have seen discussed/extolled in the VAF Community. Who knows, it might get large enough over time that we end up with Regionalized LOE-type events. Wouldn't that be cool? :)

Vic

Las Cruces was my favorite location, was even close enough for me to fly my rag wing Piper into. OKLA is out of my reach, will miss you guys.......

Great idea. The following year move it a few states east...or west. Frankly I am pleased being further away from Ciudad Juarez.

We're in. I don't really care where it is as long as the venue is easy going and doesn't mind RVers hanging out on the ramp drinking beer. As long as it isn't cold or blowing snow between here and there.

I've got reservations at the Fairfield Inn & suites now. If any of you have Marriott points, I got two nights for 15,000 points! Usually it's about 20k / night.

It looks like the nearest rental cars are ~20 miles away. Any ideas?

Guy

Last edited:
LOE or Landing Okies Everywhere...

Frankly I'm more upset about the Flight Guide Books changing format than moving "LOE". We haven't been able to make it the last two years due to work. I've already reserved a room at the HI Express with points just in case we can make it this year. The new location gives us a different museum to visit too. :cool:

Its more about making new friends and meeting up with old ones. If you let the distance flying there bother you, than why own an RV? Isn't flying there part of the fun? Besides the Cookies and Beer can't be beat. ;)

Last edited:
Consider one year in southern Utah with all the national parks nearby. Or northern Arizona and the Grand Canyon. Other states offer attractions as well. Personally, I would like a new place every year.

as long as we have cookies!
Of course. I think somehow our airplane has been secretly preprogrammed to not take flight to such an event without cookies onboard. There was even a recent event where I was solo and I felt like I was only there to haul the "freight" :).

Okie

As an Okie by birth and the 1st 25 yrs of my life, I think it's cool it's in Oklahoma. But I lived and Las Cruces for almost a year and I loved it there! So I'm torn.

Since my -8 is not flying yet I don't have a dog in the fight. Maybe next year or the next...

Have fun in Joke-lahoma!

LOE/Oklahoma is OK

Although I currently live in Tampa and have previously lived in several states around the country I am a born and raised fourth generation Okie. I thought LOE was great and served us well for many years. The participation appeared to drop a lot the past 5 years so a new location is a great idea. Oklahoma is a terrific aviation friendly state with wonderful state parks and places to check out. OKC is close and Tulsa (the best city in Oklahoma) is only 2 hours away, 45 minutes in your RV. I plan on flying in from Florida in the RV10 and trashing the Sooners as well (OSU). See you there, you wont be disappointed.

Pat Stewart

New Mexico is the Land of Enchatment

Was able to make it every year when LOE was in Las Cruces. Last year was my first after the move. Was planning on LOE again this year. Not sure I like the idea of flying over 6 hours one way just for a weekend. Need one fuel stop with no head wind each way. Would need two fuel stops if there is any headwind.

Really enjoy being with my RV friends from around the country. This trip would cut too much into my flying budget. Fuel costs have gone up faster than my pay. Approaching retirement age and there will be no more pay raises.

Looks like moving LOE to Oklahoma has just placed it outside my reach.

Tis your choice Gary BUT.....you could eliminate 2-3 other shorter flights and apply that fuel budget to LOE. This location may open it up to many others.

I am seeing the same issues that I used to hear about selecting a KR gathering site. Everyone wants it near to them. That is impossible so moving it around opens it up.

Think about your fuel budget. You would be missed if you don't show up.

Ya'll have fun

Moose is out for LOE this year. The economy has not been kind to Architects, and the budget just won't allow the trip this year. So ya'll who are going have fun, and try to pick a good name for the new venue. Otherwise we may have to call it the Lackluster Oklahoma Experiment (if it doesn't work out).

Sure gonna miss hanging out with all the usual suspects. Scott and Tanya, is there any way I can talk you into mailing me an LOE cookie? :D

Can't let this one go by. I'm an Okie in OKC. I'll get to make this one. My daughter lives in Weatherford and is a student at SWOSU.
Weatherford is a great airport with superior management, been there m..a..n..y times.
Heck, I own the mibile home my daughter lives in, about 1.5 miles from the airport. We'd probably be able to accomodate a couple of folks.
I think like a lot of others here that moving LOE around the country gives others a better opportunity to attend. This is what GWRRA does with Wing Ding, the annual OSH of the Goldwingers.

Marshall Alexander

Last edited:
LOTP

Land of Trailer Parks

;)

Q: What do a tornado and an Oklahoma divorce have in common?

A: Either way someone is losing their trailer.

Last edited:
Land of Trailer Parks

;)

LOL. I like it.:)
Shoot, it was cheaper to buy the trailer than to pay rent or dorm. Plus, the trailer park is only 1 block from the campus so she walks to school most days. When she's finished with college, my other daughter will just be starting.

LOL. I like it.:)
Shoot, it was cheaper to buy the trailer than to pay rent or dorm. Plus, the trailer park is only 1 block from the campus so she walks to school most days. When she's finished with college, my other daughter will just be starting.

Plus when they're finished with school:

1. They'll appreciate a real house.
2. Dad can sell the trailer and recoup the money for the next go at an RV project!

I tried to do that exact same thing but my daughters went to two different schools and I couldn't afford two trailers, an RV project, two p.o.'d daughters and a wife who sided with them! Finally got the school loans paid off though. ;)

It's only 68 miles for me, so there'll be another redneck (broke) okie there fer ya'all to tease.

p.s. I'm intensely proud of all three of my spoiled girls!

Plus when they're finished with school:

1. They'll appreciate a real house.
2. Dad can sell the trailer and recoup the money for the next go at an RV project!

I tried to do that exact same thing but my daughters went to two different schools and I couldn't afford two trailers, an RV project, two p.o.'d daughters and a wife who sided with them! Finally got the school loans paid off though. ;)

It's only 68 miles for me, so there'll be another redneck (broke) okie there fer ya'all to tease.

p.s. I'm intensely proud of all three of my spoiled girls!

Exactly what I have in mind.
My girls are all happy about the trailer idea.

For those concerned about cost for the trip, check out the current high price of 100LL :D
It's currently $3.45 :eek: 18 Miles east is Hinton (K2O8), current price is $3.43.
We have 3 or 4 airports in western OK that are always competing for the lowest price in the area. Life is great.

You WILL want to top-off before you head home.

LOE Move to Oklahoma

So by what I read on the front page today LOE'10 will be in OK instead of NM this year? I'm curious to know why? I've been plagued by maintenance the last two years and unable to attend. This year I am ready for the trip but if it's in OK, that has more than doubled my trip length and cost. My 7 is nowhere near flyable and at only 100 kts in my current flying plane, this move is a trip killer for me.

Man I'm bummed. :mad:

I enjoyed many LOE years both at Las Cruces and Santa Teresa. However due to a problem with hosting of LOE by the Santa Teresa museum, it forced a change this year. The move from Las Cruces to Santa Teresa was also forced by a change of the hosting of the Saturday Night banquet.

I am pretty easy about change, check out the signature to see lots of RV changes. Having said that every LOE change from Colorado to Las Crucus to Santa Terresa has resulted in better and better events. Lets band together and make the first Okie LOE event the best ever. In my opinion there are two things that make the LOE event wonderful. First - Visiting old and new friends and their RV projects. Second - Raising lots of money for great charities. I am increasing my raffle donation by 20% again this year and hope everybody else does the same.

I am not complaining about the new site. Just curious how it was picked.

As I have stated before, new places are good.

Heck Yeah!

Having said that every LOE change from Colorado to Las Crucus to Santa Terresa has resulted in better and better events. Lets band together and make the first Okie LOE event the best ever. In my opinion there are two things that make the LOE event wonderful. First - Visiting old and new friends and their RV projects. Second - Raising lots of money for great charities. I am increasing my raffle donation by 20% again this year and hope everybody else does the same.

Love your perspective, and we'd be honored to be a part of 'the band'! We accept your plus 20% challenge.

I was wandering aimlessly around the central US and just happened to be near KOJA so I landed, taxied around, took a few pictures, then departed for more aimlessly wandering.

Looks like a nice facility. Golf course to the north.

Lots of windmills around so beware of that.

Land of Trailer Parks

;)

That is do darn funny I can't stand it. Now I have to come. With 4 kids that graduated from Texas schools, I'm ready for some Sooner time (kinda like going to Oshkosh and listening to all the foolishness about the Packahhs).

LOE '10

OK, we're not gonna be in the Land Of Enchantment anymore Dorothy! So why call it LOE? One of the state slogans for Oklahoma (it's even on their license plates) is Native America.
So, I cast my vote for Native America Fly In (NAFI 2010)!

"Land Of Enchantment" to me is anyplace that there is a ramp stuffed full of RVs.

"Land Of Enchantment" will always be New Mexico to me. Any place else outside New Mexico will not be "Land Of Enchantment" but something else.

Something like "Van's RV Fly-In and Charity Fund Raiser" describes what LOE has been in the past and also describes what the event will be regardless of where it is held.

The event does need a new name to better describe what it is.

Concur. Make it generic.

The Really Big RV event

RV Mecca

Someone else will come up with a great name

Or we could steal an idea from EAA and call it:

RVenture

Kind of goes along with the theme of a "Pirate" fly-in....you pronounce it "aaaarVenture, matey!"

Bet someone gets a letter from the EAA lawyers!

lunch

Had lunch with Doogie, yesterday. Talked about the name.The LOE is staying unchanged. He looked up a web sight that has acronyms. Said there were plenty of others to go with LOE. PICK one. Our fly in is still LOE.

For the Record,, I liked Colorado the best of the three places we have had this fly in.

To quote someone MUCH more famous than I will ever hope to be:

"That which we call a Rose by any other name is still as sweet."

I can't say for sure, but I really think if he could come back today he would for sure change it to:

"LOE by any other name is still LOE. "

Can't say for sure, and really don't want to get to ask him any time soon, if you catch my drift. But I hear he was quite the Romantic. :)

Vic

Change is Good!

I don't give a rip what we call it - change is good (and this one happens to make it about 4 hours' flight instead of 6 or 7).

Interesting thing to ponder - I wonder where the center of mass of RV's is in the US? I'm guessing it is not far from Weatherford!

Pictures of KOJA

Here are a few pictures from KOJA taken today. The first is just after exiting the southernmost mid-field taxiway. Ahead (and to the left of the beacon) you see a plane and space capsule.

KOJACapsuleSmall.jpg

Turn a bit right and you see the FBO complex

KOJAFBOArea1Small.jpg

This is probably the FBO/terminal building

KOJAFBOArea2Small.jpg

Taxiing north you soon pass the FBO complex and come upon the ramp area. Here it is from the taxiway:

KOJARamp1Small.jpg

And here it is looking south. I did not notice tie-downs.

KOJARamp2Small.jpg

Here is a view of the airport and surrounding area taken from left downwind looking northwest.

KOJALeftDownwindRWY17Small.jpg

This is a high left base to runway 17. At the lower right corner there is a road that is perpendicular to the runway centerline. Below (north) of it I believe you see a golf course green and a golf cart path around it. In the original I can see what is probably a golf cart. On the horizon you may see a lot of shortish white vertical lines. Those are windmills. That makes me wonder. Why put beaucoup windmills in the area?

KOJALeftBaseRWY17Small.jpg

Runway 17.

KOJARWY17Small.jpg

Some of the windmills

KOJAWindmillsSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Had lunch with Doogie..Talked about the name.The LOE is staying unchanged. Said there were plenty of others to go with LOE. PICK one. Our fly in is still LOE.

In keeping with the "LOE" acronym, we submit the following.

Legend Of Enchantment
Legacy Of Enchantment
Land Of Escape

Caveman. I had the same fun with Chris only she took our RV6 when she left to go to Az. Our house burnt 3 weeks ago so a trailer would be handy.Will start the rebuild this week going to move to a new location will have a 2600 foot runway in the backyard with a 50 x 100 hanger.always something good can come out of a bad thing. Will have a nice place for people to stop and stay.Should have milk money back for L.O.E. so we will try to head east.David and Helen

RVR

RV Rendezvous

(Like the explorers & individualists of old, meet once a year at different locations, to trade stories, resupply (trade parts), partake of entertainment, meet up with old friends, etc.)

Last edited:
Caveman. I had the same fun with Chris only she took our RV6 when she left to go to Az. Our house burnt 3 weeks ago so a trailer would be handy.Will start the rebuild this week going to move to a new location will have a 2600 foot runway in the backyard with a 50 x 100 hanger.always something good can come out of a bad thing. Will have a nice place for people to stop and stay.Should have milk money back for L.O.E. so we will try to head east.David and Helen

Yikes!! Sorry to hear about your loss, Dave! I hope you didn't lose too many precious momentos. Some things are irreplaceable. A runway and hangar in the backyard sounds awesome, though. I'll be looking forward to meeting you guys at Weatherford, Ok. I'll try and bring Carey along.

Last edited:
KWWR, (Woodward, Ok) currently has fuel at $3.65. It just so happens that I know some people on the airport board... one very closely, ;) who might be able to swing a few favors for the RV's commuting to LOE this year. If we are near your flight path and you need mechanical help, a courtesy car, a place to hangar overnight, or a reasonable fuel stop, give me a call or shoot me an e-mail or PM and I'll see if I can help. Or just call the airport, ask for the manager and mention my name and where you're headed and he'll take care of you. The airport manager and his guys all love experimental aviation.

Back