VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 12-04-2021 09:50 PM

Loft - just beginning organization

it's taken me awhile to begin to get the loft organized.... getting started. loft's are better as Winter projects.

there is not much headroom and I found that rolling around on a chair makes it much better.

this time last year it was a big mess.

Steve Melton 12-07-2021 07:42 PM

Bigger air dams

it's getting colder so I am increasing the size of my cowl inlet air dams to be 2-inch width. tomorrow morning should be cold enough for a test. these are printed completely hollow, like a balloon. the first flex frequency of the air dam is above a 2 or 3 blade passing frequency, so no chance for resonance.

Steve Melton 12-08-2021 09:43 AM

Elevator Gust Lock

I currently make these in two web thickness sizes, thin (.068 inch) and thick (.098 inch). I use the thick version and noticed I had a crack in the web after 3 years of use. this summer I decided to upgrade the material from ASA plastic to a new Polycarb plastic that has higher strength and toughness. in the past week I had notice of a couple of users that reported cracks in their thin web versions, so I printed some replacements from the new polycarb material. hopefully, they will have more life. on some builds it is a really tight fit even for the thin web version (.068 inch). I wondered if I could print an even thicker web (.125 inch) and would it fit on my aircraft as test. my gap is about .235 inch, but I also have a recessed fairing contour. yep, it worked as I can easily slide the .125 inch web gust lock in place using my little finger.

note: I originally made my fairing recessed in order to prevent ice wedge binding as the elevator horn swings thru. if the fairing is flat on the aft side, the gap closes as the elevator swings thru and if the elevator horn leading edge has any ice build up it could jam. have I had any ice before, yep, but it was only a small amount. I could hear the ice breaking off and hitting the airframe as I descended from 20K feet as it melted off, but that is another story.

my existing .098 inch web gust lock. I will continue using these.

.125 inch web gust lock test fit

Steve Melton 12-08-2021 05:54 PM

2.0 inch wide air dams

today's data. I'm still thinking about it.

it was fine in the climb. perhaps I need to go to 2.5 inch wide.

going to 2.5-inch width to get a data point.

Steve Melton 12-09-2021 05:53 PM

2.5 inch stealth air dams

Black stealth air dams. you need to get a light to see them. thru the falling snow they see something in the cowl inlet but they are not sure of it.

Steve Melton 12-09-2021 11:07 PM

Elevator Gust Lock .125 inch web

fit check to the right hand side. my fairing gap is less on this side, .180 vs .235 on the opposite side, but still fits fine. this fairing also has the recessed back area. I don't plan on using these at the moment, but it was nice to know what dimensions allow a .125-inch gust lock web to fit well. for this case the recessed fairing back area is needed.

RV8JD 12-10-2021 01:25 PM

RV-8 Gust Locks?

Any plans to design/produce the rest of the RV-8 gust locks?

Saville 12-10-2021 04:45 PM

Deleted and moved to a new General Discussion Thread

Steve Melton 12-11-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV8JD (Post 1574488)
Any plans to design/produce the rest of the RV-8 gust locks?

this style doesn't work well for the RV8. the aft edge of the rudder is more vertical than some other models and the rolled trailing edge has a lot of thickness variation between aircraft.

RV8JD 12-11-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1574612)
this style doesn't work well for the RV8. the aft edge of the rudder is more vertical than some other models and the rolled trailing edge has a lot of thickness variation between aircraft.

OK. Thanks for the info.