What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Aileron Gap rivet question

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, for those of you playing with -3B's....we are using the standard Aileron Gap Seal piece (looks like a "7" from the end), and I am puzzling over the plans call-out for pop rivets where it meets the rear spar (on the bottom. Seems like since the bottom skin is still off, shooting solid rivets there is a no-brainer, and would look nicer. Can anyone think of a reason I have missed why those should be pops? Solid rivets should even have shorter shop heads, so it should be easier to get a bucking bar on the lower skin rivets when we do those.

(I know that Randy L. and others used an -8 part here, and yeah, that would be a lot easier for riveting the top line of rivets, but I got too far along before reading that particular pearl of wisdom, so we'll struggle with those....)

Paul

Hi Paul,
FWIW, I used the stock part and also used 3/32 solids in the rear spar.
Some use the 1/8 pops on the top surface but I was able to use 3/32 solids here also with a long "L-shaped" bucking bar, drive these first of course.
You probably know this but you can adjust the upper skin to aileron gap with this part !
Mike

Thanks Mark - good to know I wasn't the only one who looked at the plans and said "huh?"

Sequencing...

Paul, could it be following the original RV-4/6 wing assembly sequence with the upper skins being riveted on last?

If that is the sequence assumed, then pop rivets are required....:)

OK, for those of you playing with -3B's....we are using the standard Aileron Gap Seal piece (looks like a "7" from the end), and I am puzzling over the plans call-out for pop rivets where it meets the rear spar (on the bottom. Seems like since the bottom skin is still off, shooting solid rivets there is a no-brainer, and would look nicer. Can anyone think of a reason I have missed why those should be pops? Solid rivets should even have shorter shop heads, so it should be easier to get a bucking bar on the lower skin rivets when we do those.

(I know that Randy L. and others used an -8 part here, and yeah, that would be a lot easier for riveting the top line of rivets, but I got too far along before reading that particular pearl of wisdom, so we'll struggle with those....)

Paul

Paul, could it be following the original RV-4/6 wing assembly sequence with the upper skins being riveted on last?

If that is the sequence assumed, then pop rivets are required....:)

That's the conclusion I came to Gil - that the original sequence had the wing closed up before someone figured a gap fairing would help....

Back