What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blast from the past: Looking for Zaon MX1090 Docs

Floridaguy67

I'm New Here
Hey all,

I stumbled into a bargain bin and found a Zaon MX1090 (yes, they actually exist!) for no money (wouldn't have bothered otherwise).

I already have a XRX, and want to see if the whole pass through data thing actually works.

Problem is, the unit didn't come with any documentation. It has two com ports on it that are used for both power and data, and there is probably some other set-up functions.

Since Zaon is long gone, I trolled the interwebz looking for docs, but nothing came up. I even tried the Internet Archive of their site, and came up empty.

If anyone out there has a copy of the MX1090 docs, hopefully including a wiring diagram of the com ports, it sure would be appreciated!

Nothing urgent, this is a tinker around in the spare time project

Thanks!
FG

I think com1 on the MX connects to the DB9 on the XRX
Lucky man. I have been looking for one if those!

Thanks!

Yea, I poked around the Internet Archive quite a bit, but didn't find anything regarding the MX1090 at all other than sales literature.

I know the com ports are 4 wire....+Vdc, RX, TX and ground, and it appears to be a standard 2.5mm 4 conductor plug. It receives power through the com ports, which if you have it connected from an XRX, receives power from the DB9 on the XRX (which powers a BT module if you have one for the XRX).

Input from the XRX goes to Com 2, along with power/ground. I also want to say that Garmin format traffic data is output through Com 2, and standard format traffic output is from Com 1, but that's unsubstantiated at this point.

I would throw it on the computer's serial port to know for sure. I'll figure it out eventually with a logic probe, but the manual/pin outs make it easier. A couple of bare wire connectors (PN# MX1090-CBL4) sitting in someone's clearance bin would make things really easy....

Someone HAS to have a manual for this thing somewhere....

FG

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

FWIW, I've done some more fiddling around with the 1090.

It uses 3.5mm 4 conductor plugs for the Com ports.

Starting from the tip of the plug, the conductors go: Vdc, TX, RX, and ground.

I wasn't able to get anything more out of it than that. There are a two dip switches inside the case, and haven't figured out what they do either.

FG

Back