What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wedge’s First Post—Be Gentle

Wedge

Sponsor
Take a quick look at my shopping list and add the pros and cons for my enlightenment.

My parts list for quick build RV-8:

Lycoming EA XIO-390-A3B6 RT (210hp)
Will use show planes 13 row oil cooler
3 bladed Whirlwind 300 composite prop
Show planes Engine cowling and Fast Back Kit
Sky design landing gear using Matco wheels and brakes
Using Sky Designing new 6.0 wheel fairings
Also using the Condor II fork with pneumatic tire plus the rocket steering link
Live in Idaho and expect a lot of grass landings plus really dislike the skateboard tail wheel. I am a 3 pointer in the Great Lakes!
Got a little spendy with the zip tips from AveoLogistics—wicked cool though!
Using Aerotronics for avionics with a Garmin 375/AP 507/G3 touch screens 10 and 7 inch. Will try to add Picture. Will not be using the Garmin AOA repeater in picture.
Trying to figure out what the huge price difference is between the 375 and the 650/750?
Still have figure out interior lighting and seating. Probably use classic aero for the interior.
Comments are appreciated—need to learn.
Using Synergy Air in Eugene for the builders assist. They are great.
Empennage was done in January and Van’s is suppose to deliver my kit Aprilish!
The Van’s community has been great so far.

Attachments

• 3A085307-8B2C-471D-B83D-521FCC6AB2CD.png
    3A085307-8B2C-471D-B83D-521FCC6AB2CD.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 201
You might consider the newer IO-390-EXP 119 engine. A bit more Hp, a bit lighter.

And I would recommend hard-mounting the oil cooler on the firewall with an appropriate bracket, and a fiberglass diffuser/transition from 4" scat to the cooler, with a butterfly valve (throttle valve) on the back of the #4 cylinder baffle.

For sure for sure for sure, put the battery in the back.

Pay attention to all the good modifications, even if it is a QB, you will want to do the gear tower mod for sure. I deterred since mine was a QB and that area was already assembled, and boy I sure wish I had done it.

Last edited:
You need to define the mission for the plane.

For example, if you set high efficiency cruise as a top priority, this may not be the best engine choice. If you want a nibble aerobatic plane, this is the wrong engine. If you want a fire breathing time to climb plane this is the right engine.

Carl

For consideration

First off, I’m not trying to convince anyone that my approach is better. This is another option the OP may wish to consider. I’m having a Titan IO-370 (straight valve Lycoming) being built this month. Between the taller 9.6:1 pistons, better flowing sump, slightly stroked CS, EFI and EI, they’re right at 210 HP. Lots of variables but will probably be 20-30 lbs lighter.

There’s a lot of options. Researching and shopping can be fun. Enjoy

Tailwheel chains

I much prefer chains on the tailwheel. If they are kept slightly loose, the transition between slow speed flying and tail on the ground steering is much better. I find the Rocket Link to be too stiff and it makes for twitchy steering on the ground. There could be a way to loosen the internal spring though, not sure on that.

I know the link looks good, but chains are simple, easy to adjust, and have worked well for a long time. You might like the tight steering so use what's right for you. I'm putting chains on mine.

Nice airplane

1. If this is your first build, you are greatly complicating the job. But they're nice upgrades. The fastback really makes the RV8 look great. But you then have a flip-over canopy. That's
one of the things I really didn't like about my RV4.
2. The pneumatic tail wheel introduces another point of failure. I've flown my
RV8 about 300 hours off grass and 300 hours off pavement. No problem with either surface with the small tail wheel. Also less weight. Wheel land the RV8.
3. I didn't like the Rocket link. No slack leaves it too twitchy for my taste. Unfortunately now that TailLynx is no longer available there is no good alternative to the ugly hardware store chains.
4. Three blade prop makes getting lower cowl off an even more irritating job. Looks great though. Performance difference will not be as much as you hope. You're already planning a ton of HP.

NOTE: I am NOT a builder. Just relating experiences I've had with airplanes I've owned.
Good luck. You have the makings of a great airplane.

Last edited:
I always liked the Tom Clark fastback/slider over the Showplanes version.

Attachments

• 1833900.jpg
    1833900.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 183
I always liked the Tom Clark fastback/slider over the Showplanes version.

I don't know if the Tom Clark fastback with slider is available anymore? I was figuring if I do a fastback on my next one, I will have to roll my own.

My Dad's 8 has done over 2000 hours off of grass with a solid tailwheel. Works fine.

Skybolt camlocs on the cowl are really nice!

You might consider the newer IO-390-EXP 119 engine. A bit more Hp, a bit lighter.

And I would recommend hard-mounting the oil cooler on the firewall with an appropriate bracket, and a fiberglass diffuser/transition from 4" scat to the cooler, with a butterfly valve (throttle valve) on the back of the #4 cylinder baffle.

For sure for sure for sure, put the battery in the back.

Pay attention to all the good modifications, even if it is a QB, you will want to do the gear tower mod for sure. I deterred since mine was a QB and that area was already assembled, and boy I sure wish I had done it.

Sorry for late response.
Will look at 119.
Plan to use 13 row oil cooler from showplanes
Who has the gear tower mod?

You need to define the mission for the plane.

For example, if you set high efficiency cruise as a top priority, this may not be the best engine choice. If you want a nibble aerobatic plane, this is the wrong engine. If you want a fire breathing time to climb plane this is the right engine.

Carl

Not too worried about high end cruise but would like an aft CG aircraft for descent aerobatics plus a lot of HP too make up for my lack of talent!
What engine you thinking about for this?

First off, I’m not trying to convince anyone that my approach is better. This is another option the OP may wish to consider. I’m having a Titan IO-370 (straight valve Lycoming) being built this month. Between the taller 9.6:1 pistons, better flowing sump, slightly stroked CS, EFI and EI, they’re right at 210 HP. Lots of variables but will probably be 20-30 lbs lighter.

There’s a lot of options. Researching and shopping can be fun. Enjoy

Will check Titan out. Like the lighter nose with 210 HP
Forums seem to like the aft CG and light weight for acro

I much prefer chains on the tailwheel. If they are kept slightly loose, the transition between slow speed flying and tail on the ground steering is much better. I find the Rocket Link to be too stiff and it makes for twitchy steering on the ground. There could be a way to loosen the internal spring though, not sure on that.

I know the link looks good, but chains are simple, easy to adjust, and have worked well for a long time. You might like the tight steering so use what's right for you. I'm putting chains on mine.

Have chains on my Great Lakes and it works fine—why I like the pneumatic tire.
What option has chains? Have done no research for this

Sorry for late response.
Will look at 119.
Plan to use 13 row oil cooler from showplanes
Who has the gear tower mod?

The gear tower mod is something you do yourself - not a kit someone sells. You can search the forum and find lots of pictures, and discussion -- a few different variations.

IIRC the showplanes cooler mounts to the engine mount with cushion clamps?

Also meant to say before, if you are on grass a lot, consider using the 380-150x 5 tires. Big improvement. They will fit in the Vans wheel fairings, with a small bulge to make clearance for the brake caliper. I don't know about the Sky Designs wheel fairings.

1. If this is your first build, you are greatly complicating the job. But they're nice upgrades. The fastback really makes the RV8 look great. But you then have a flip-over canopy. That's
one of the things I really didn't like about my RV4.
2. The pneumatic tail wheel introduces another point of failure. I've flown my
RV8 about 300 hours off grass and 300 hours off pavement. No problem with either surface with the small tail wheel. Also less weight. Wheel land the RV8.
3. I didn't like the Rocket link. No slack leaves it too twitchy for my taste. Unfortunately now that TailLynx is no longer available there is no good alternative to the ugly hardware store chains.
4. Three blade prop makes getting lower cowl off an even more irritating job. Looks great though. Performance difference will not be as much as you hope. You're already planning a ton of HP.

NOTE: I am NOT a builder. Just relating experiences I've had with airplanes I've owned.
Good luck. You have the makings of a great airplane.

Really like the FB mod but will have to live with the flip up.
Really like the bigger tires and I am a 3 pointer in the Great Lakes but I will probably wheel land the RV8. Definitely heavier but the bigger engine may help
Will check on Rocket link. You are second person to comment on this.
Really love the 3 blades and will have to live with the cowling problem
I appreciate the time for your experience—it really helps

Mil-Spec also makes the quarter-turn fasteners. A VAF poll a few years ago demonstrated equal satisfaction.

Dave

Back