VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

rockwoodrv9 07-29-2019 09:59 AM

I was thinking of a elevator cover with a type of fin on the edge that hits the rudder. It may screw with aerodynamics so that may be a non starter. Even a cover that makes the edge not as sharp would help with damage.

It would not be as good as a rudder stop, but could help.

Steve Melton 07-29-2019 10:45 AM

It may be simpler to never let it occur.

sbalmos 07-29-2019 10:54 AM

Surely, you jest. :eek::D

Steve Melton 07-29-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbalmos (Post 1362695)
Surely, you jest. :eek::D

Scott, next year at Oshkosh please upgrade your tie downs and fully engage them. the beagle screws can fail and could possibly damage another aircraft.

Snowflake 07-30-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbalmos (Post 1362656)
I don't think we're talking about making a kick-plate patch that would be patched on a perfectly fine rudder, as a preventative measure, are we?

That *is* what I was suggesting, but I don't think it's the ideal solution. Much better is to prevent the motion in the first place.

Steve Melton 07-31-2019 10:44 PM

fuel cap opener

we are not there yet but are relearning how straight lines can benefit a design.

final profile. straighter and smoother lines. designed to grab more towards the lever edge instead of next to the cap stem for improved lifting force. this design will not scrape on the lever edge and will not leave any scraped plastic particles. removed holes for straighter build lines and is a faster print. improved printed technique. strength increased 85%.

standard 2.0 inch length and new 2.5 inch length - material is same ABS and will add red/black ASA. same thickness dimensions: slim = .15 inch thick. fat = .18 inch thick. these should be fine for most have a smooth feel. we plan to eventually add a nylon/graphite version that will increase stregth further but I'm not sure if it will become rough in the pocket over time as the nylon wears and exposes the graphite fibers.

side note: excessive fuel cap lever tension will fail the fuel cap lever roll pin hinge over time. you can extend the life of the pin by reducing the cap lever tension by adjusting the nut on the bottom of the cap and keeping the hinge lubed. I spray the cap lever area with LPS1 and cycle the stem a couple of times. my caps are six years old, original, doing fine, but I carry a spare cap just in case.

Steve Melton 08-06-2019 06:56 AM

gust lock

I don't think about my rudder being secure anymore. Make one knot and it's done. I need to factor in an extra 30 minutes for departure to answer questions about the plane from bystanders.

I do need some kind of gust lock storage so I don't need to untangle the rope every time. Throwing them in a bag isn't cutting it anymore. I'll have Amanda call Abby at Flightline Interiors this week to see what she can do.

Burlington VT, beautiful country.

Lake Placid

Snowflake 08-06-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1364504)
I do need some kind of gust lock storage so I don't need to untangle the rope every time. Throwing them in a bag isn't cutting it anymore.

How about one of those dog-bone-shaped things people use to wrap up their iPod headphone cords so they don't tangle? You might have a way to produce a larger version for the ropes... :)

Steve Melton 08-07-2019 10:04 PM

Nylon/Carbon Fiber

fuel cap opener. this is the very first print using this material and I am guessing at the parameters for my machine. some work to do but encouraging. the texture is rough but not as bad as I thought it would be. the part is very stiff. the material properties are multiple times higher than anything I have printed before and the filament itself feels like bailing wire. it requires a hardened steel nozzle for wear issues. really quite amazing. Amanda stuck it in a door jam and tried to break it but only crushed the wood.

Steve Melton 08-07-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1364546)
How about one of those dog-bone-shaped things people use to wrap up their iPod headphone cords so they don't tangle? You might have a way to produce a larger version for the ropes... :)

a dog bog is a viable option.

I want something to not only organize but to help ensure all the pieces are visible in a pouch when I put them away (rudder / elevator / ropes / and aileron lock) and that can fit beside my seat in a pouch so they don't tangle with anything else. I gave Amanda Abby's number said go do it. I'll see what she comes up with.