VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

FinnFlyer 07-17-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xavierm (Post 1360239)

Thank you!

Looks like he's using the Arduino Joystick module which have pots rather than four switches for X-Y movements (in addition to a switch when you press down on the hat). This opens up the possibility for variable speed trim depending on how far you push the hat in X and Y directions. Nice!

Finn

Steve Melton 07-18-2019 11:17 AM

Canopy drill block

first install review comments:
"I opened the hole to 17/64 (to fit the canopy pin diameter) it works perfect. it is slick as hail."

the hole size on the tool is .245. run a drill bit thru the tool hole to ream to the final size drill bit to maintain a tight hole. then cut the nylon block hole with the final size drill bit. between plunges you may cool the bit in water to prevent overheating the tool thermoplastic. we didn't do cool the bit on the four test blocks that were cut for this user and it was fine but it may be beneficial to extend the life of the tool.

the second user input is pending.

I'll take several of these Canopy Drill Block tools to Oshkosh and put then in a box on a picnic table for review. I don't have any nylon blocks. If you have one and are interested, bring it to check the fit.

a couple of folks are asking how we set the dimension for the hole because there are limited dimensions on the drawing. the tool hole was set exactly to the Van's drawings by matching the drawing in CAD.

Steve Melton 07-21-2019 05:27 PM

Printer Calibration Block

We have multiple printers and nozzles and use this calibration block to verify dimensional accuracy. There are also a couple holes in the pillars lower surface. If you would like a copy of the SW file send Amanda an email.

Steve Melton 07-21-2019 05:49 PM

RV7/9 Sliding Canopy build

When a long time multiple builder develops a new build method I tend to listen. Bill Duffy requested the canopy block drill tool to develop a new method to build the RV7/9 sliding canopy. He thinks he may have found a better way. I'll post his photos. You can discuss with him at Oshkosh. I don't know much about it, I have a tipper. Bill's RV-14 is cream color with an eagle on the side and has both an RV-7 and 9 sliders under construction.

Steve Melton 07-23-2019 02:34 PM

Large filament spool stand

we have been using this style of large filament spool stand for several years. it's as compact as possible and can handle 5 kg spools and it's one piece. build weight = .75 kg. size = 8 inch width, 11 inch deep, 8.5 inch tall. send Amanda an email if you would like a copy of the SW file.

Steve Melton 07-27-2019 07:23 PM

Oshkosh carnage

wind damage to a poor soul.

sbalmos 07-27-2019 07:59 PM

Well ****... though I'm not fully surprised. Oh well, another thing to do.

sbalmos 07-27-2019 08:04 PM

To be fair, there already was a small puncture before OSH. Those winds we have between the hangars at HAO can't be helped much when I'm getting my hangar door closed before a flight. But the winds yesterday and today had me worried. It already was on my list to switch to a pedal/stick gust lock. These AirGizmos paddles just aren't doing it for me, IMO.

Just means I stop by Spruce or somewhere in the morning to pick up some speed tape to patch it before I launch home.

Steve Melton 07-27-2019 08:41 PM

Scott, we did the best we could with what we had to secure the rudder. I applied yellow tape to hold the rudder. Ray applied a tape to the hole. Greg left a note. We all tried to contact you but could not find a number.

sbalmos 07-27-2019 08:52 PM

THANKS. No biggie. I just stopped at Menard's before dinner tonight to pick up a roll of super strength Gorilla Tape. The number on my prop card was my mobile.

Already building a parts list. I'm sure it happens to at least one person at each windy show. Lick wounds and move on. At least it wasn't painted yet. :D