VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 09-01-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketman1988 (Post 1552789)
Ok…no worries. Already have the bogi bar. Very difficult to move the -10 by myself without the tow bar.

Just thought it would be easier to use one that is already available…

let me know when drilling holes in the bulkhead settles in your mind. if yes, I'll take a look at it.

rocketman1988 09-01-2021 08:22 PM

Holes

The small holes in that panel are tiny compared to the inspection panel that I installed…

Yes, there are doublers and stiffeners around the access panel…

Bavafa 09-01-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1552784)
sure I could make something close to those from nylon and carbon fiber but why don't you just buy the ones from Aerosport? seems that they have put together a package for a reasonable cost.

All I need is one of those arms and $200 for one arm is rather steep for me.

Steve Melton 09-02-2021 01:35 PM

Tow Bar Brackets - RV14

it turns out to be this for the Bogibar brackets.

option for restraining pins if desired. I have a pin on my installed brackets and they work well. some users opt for pins. some don't use any pins.

kicking this over to the manufacturing department.

last train to London

https://youtu.be/Up4WjdabA2c

Steve Melton 09-02-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavafa (Post 1552848)
All I need is one of those arms and $200 for one arm is rather steep for me.

they will probably sell just one arm for less. and BTW, their on center clamp design is better than the off center design.

Steve Melton 09-04-2021 08:30 AM

headset controller mount

the question has come up several times so I thought I would post a photo. how to attach a headset controller mount to a tube? not that we do that here but some may have wondered about the hole markers. :)

Steve Melton 09-05-2021 08:33 AM

RV10 BogiBar Tow Bar Brackets

still looking at the optimum drilled holes position but I think it may be doable. the mfg department printed the RV-14 brackets well so these will be similar.

I will add a brass nut insert for a lanyard attachment at the side.

Steve Melton 09-06-2021 05:18 PM

RV14 Bogi-bar mount

well, this didn't work. again I am reminded to create the entire design space and no short cuts. back to the drawing board.

but at least I have most of a P-40 model. not my model.

where does RVPlasticParts money go? 1) Plastic 2) Printer gear and website 3) P-40 solid models and such (a great learning tool for me to see some really good work) 4) Some guy living in a van down by the river in Canada https://youtu.be/Xt_Sm0cgvJo. there is really not much left over but that is fine by me. I'm not here for the money, I'm here to play.

rocketman1988 09-06-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1553562)
still looking at the optimum drilled holes position but I think it may be doable. the mfg department printed the RV-14 brackets well so these will be similar.

I will add a brass nut insert for a lanyard attachment at the side.

So are the -10 brackets going to be reality?

I’m still interested!

Bob

Steve Melton 09-06-2021 06:37 PM

yep, I will look at the 10 again once the 14 is resolved.

Vlad 09-06-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1553841)

where does RVPlasticParts money go? 1) Plastic 2) Printer gear and website 3)
4)

I'm not here for the money, I'm here to play.

What about the fishes? :)

Steve Melton 09-06-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad (Post 1553877)
What about the fishes? :)

Amanda is still taking care of her fish and buys some from time to time at the grocery store. She really has her nose in the books these days and doing some other work. I only hope that when she has a school project and needs some printing, she will know where to go. I really like that she is still around the house. I try to make her laugh as often as I can.

Steve Melton 09-08-2021 03:20 PM

RV14 Bogi-Bar

needed for the design space, a full mock up. we don't want any scratches to the baggage bulkhead.

Steve Melton 09-09-2021 07:46 PM

R14 Tow Bar Brackets

after simulating the tow bar installation in the brackets I believe the best option is to simply adjust the two left side brackets outward and fit them to the bar. this will prevent scratching the aft bulkhead during tow bar installation. this makes the dimension from the tow bar outermost handle rubber edge to the ridge on the aft bulkhead = 2.5 inches. the bogibar does not stow as tightly to the bulkhead as the wag aero bar but it is still workable. I may shift the bar upwards slightly.

for comparison, the max dimension for the wag aero bar is just over 1 inch from the ridge on the aft bulkhead. the middle spring may be another half inch.

Steve Melton 09-15-2021 10:46 AM

RV14 Bogi-bar mount

I shifted the copilot side brackets outwards to have a fit that will allow clearance from the tow bar to aft bulkhead. no scratches allowed. needs a test fit.

co-pilot side brackets are not identical, they are upper and lower.

left side view. if you are making these at home, leave some extra clearance for the lower bracket because over time the bar can have some permanent set as it ages. the install should be a quick drop in, pin and go. note: some users prefer to not use pins and have not had any issues but if you are doing aerobatics you might consider using pins.

Steve Melton 09-16-2021 04:11 PM

headset mount adhesive failure

on 10/1/2020, about a year ago, I mounted a headset mount using 3M dual lock adhesive as a test to as printed plastic. the adhesive was 4.5 years old and had been sitting on a shelf in my hangar. a 1.1 lb weight (dog stake) was supported at the end. it failed on 9/15/2021. that's about a year.

seat belt shoulder mounts have been installed since 9/25/2020. the 3M dual lock adhesive is holding. it is loaded in shear vs peel and the adhesive was fresh. the belts are always left hanging on the mounts with their full weight.

Steve Melton 09-16-2021 04:35 PM

R14A BogiBar Tow Bar Brackets

R14A BogiBar Tow Bar Brackets test fit went well. thx Bruce for helping me with this test fit on an in process RV14. the bar should have been installed one ridge higher to have ease for access when the baggage compartment is full. I believe this installation is a simple 10 minute job as it uses existing bulkhead screw locations. clearances from the bar features to the aft bulkhead were as expected and adequate, no scratching of the aft bulkhead allowed. the lower bar to bracket clearance was modeled to be .245 but was .272 so that is within .027 inch, not to bad. this clearance allows for some permanent set in the tow bar as it ages.

the pins came with heavy long lanyards that I don't like. too long and stiff. they should be just a simply nylon cord.

Bruce requested RV14 canopy hinge covers in white for this build.

scard 09-16-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1555930)
on 10/1/2020, about a year ago, I mounted a headset mount using 3M dual lock adhesive as a test to as printed plastic. the adhesive was 4.5 years old and had been sitting on a shelf in my hangar. a 1.1 lb weight (dog stake) was supported at the end. it failed on 9/15/2021. that's about a year.

I too am doing some long term testing of the same in the flight environment. There is definitely a load vs. adhesive area solution that isn't yet clear to me. There is also a big difference between static gradual temp on the ground with no vibration to airframe cycles. My tests are backing in the opposite direction from failure. I'm pretty sure the adhesive on the 3M dual lock isn't going to be the solution that I had hoped. Next product tests in process :).

Steve Melton 09-16-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scard (Post 1555950)
I too am doing some long term testing of the same in the flight environment. There is definitely a load vs. adhesive area solution that isn't yet clear to me. There is also a big difference between static gradual temp on the ground with no vibration to airframe cycles. My tests are backing in the opposite direction from failure. I'm pretty sure the adhesive on the 3M dual lock isn't going to be the solution that I had hoped. Next product tests in process :).

the nice thing about the dual lock is that you can separate the dual lock and apply a fresh piece to the mount side and reattach the dual lock. I'll start the test again with a 1 year old, but still sealed in the package, piece of dual lock. it should only take a couple minutes to reapply one side of dual lock and start the test again. I may also roughen the mount side adhesive surface with some sandpaper.

Steve Melton 09-17-2021 12:27 PM

fuel test cap

I managed to snap my fuel test cap stem so I thought I would try to make that better. since it is exposed to fuel the plastic needs to be PETG that is fuel resistant. I will use a metal stem for this one. it has some wings on the sides for my fingers so I can drain a quart or two for my motorcycle.

add some taper and leading edge fillets. the barrel that is inserted is tapered 1 deg. I'll set the final dimensions after a test fit.

center stem splash deflector

Steve Melton 09-18-2021 01:30 PM

headset mount - dual lock

I removed the failed side of the dual lock and reapplied some fresh dual lock to the headset mount surface (the previous dual lock was 4.5 yrs old before application). before applying the fresh dual lock I scuffed the backside of the headset mount pad with sandpaper. I reinstalled the headset mount and marked the date of the test. the dual lock mounted to the aluminum is the original. it only took a couple of minutes. I predict a longer life for this test. maybe a couple of years. the applied weight is the same = 1.1 lbs. there is some vibration present when I operate the air compressor.

Steve Melton 09-18-2021 05:05 PM

Fuel sump tester cap

the stem on the cap will not be breaking again. now it is stainless steel. I tried to break it on a test piece but was not able to, it flexes and then comes back, but it is stiff. it snaps on with some end tabs when placed on the tube so it will not go flying off into the corner somewhere when stowed and it also it fits the mount. the finger tabs will let me easily drain a quart or two for my motorcycle. the cap material is PETG rated in the "excellent category" for fuel resistance.

I managed to invert the draft angle on the inner most lower flow surface so I will need to correct that. that will open it up on the inside some amount.

scard 09-18-2021 05:09 PM

Nice modeling, but I thought we would get what kind of pizza this evening :).

David Lewis 09-18-2021 05:58 PM

Fuel Sump Tester Cap

Re the Fuel Sump Tester Cap: Will these be available soon in the rvplasticparts store?

Steve Melton 09-18-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lewis (Post 1556347)
Re the Fuel Sump Tester Cap: Will these be available soon in the rvplasticparts store?

yes, if it drains OK with low splatter during testing I will put it there so test tubes can be returned to service.

Steve Melton 09-19-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scard (Post 1556341)
Nice modeling, but I thought we would get what kind of pizza this evening :).

I ate a full pizza the night before the half marathon in the Smokies trying to carb-load. I regretted it the next day. I felt it was a dough ball in my stomach. Lesson learned, for carb-loading stick to pasta.

you want to see some leg muscles? check out my wife's legs. the sister of Thor!

me around mile 7. I talked to a guy running the race from Florida. He was 75 yrs. and he had a decent time. Now he is my goal. I really can't think of anything better to do than running through the National Parks. Beautiful scenery, well organized and good people. See how the old guys have their hats turned around. If there is even a small breeze you get a cooling effect down the back of your neck. Kids don't know this. I started the race in the back with the 3 hr group and ended up finishing at 2:11 so I passed a lot of people. I think I could have had a better time if I had started with the 2 hr group and let them pull me along but on the other hand I got to pass a lot of kids. Next year I will work to be under 2 hrs. the fastest guy in the 60-64 age group finished at 1:39. he was as thin as a rail and can really move.

Steve Melton 09-20-2021 04:30 AM

Fuel sump tester cap

corrected the draft angle on this and improved the flow contour hopefully to reduce splatter. changed the locking tabs from 4 to 2 and increased the thickness slightly. I will test it today with a couple of stainless steel stem lengths.

Steve Melton 09-20-2021 08:07 PM

fuel sump test cap - results

the functional test of the drain cap went well. it did not have any splatter or mess and was perfectly clean. the cap is a good fit and stable in use. the finger test surpassed my expectations in that it was so easy. I'm happy with this.

I compared the flow characteristics of my existing yellow insert version for comparison and then a couple different lengths of stainless steel rods. overall I believe the shorter the better because it makes it easier to hit the hole. I think a length somewhere between the yellow length and the middle stainless length would be good.

this cap only fits the Short ASA 4 inch test tube (6 inch overall length) fuel sampler. this sampler has a ridge on the end that allows the cap to have a loose snap in place so that when it is inserted it is secure.

some photos

Steve Melton 09-20-2021 08:11 PM

fuel sump test cap - results

some more photos. this tester stores in the mount. I made this mount about 2 years ago. I cycle it about 10 times each time I visit the hangar. it probably has 3000 cycles by now and is like new. it is ultra light weight. by keeping the fuel tanks sumped and the tanks clean you can prevent down stream problems.

Steve Melton 09-21-2021 06:14 PM

RV14 Bogi-bar tow bar mount

RV14 Bogi-bar tow bar mounted to the uppermost position, the best location in my opinion. I needed to extended the upper flange of the upper bracket because the hole spacing of the the uppermost hole does not follow the mid hole pattern. I'm happy with it. getting close to finishing this one. it's taken awhile. it is a 5 minute install time.

Snowflake 09-23-2021 08:06 AM

In the upper position it may be easier to reach, but have you considered crash survivability? Lower in the baggage compartment would it be more likely to come free and hit the backs of the seats, rather than the occupants' heads?

Steve Melton 09-23-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1557422)
In the upper position it may be easier to reach, but have you considered crash survivability? Lower in the baggage compartment would it be more likely to come free and hit the backs of the seats, rather than the occupants' heads?

these will easily withstand a fwd 9g crash loading and will probably be able to withstand double that. higher tow bar location is better for access when the baggage compartment is loaded. if there is demand for a lower positioned tow bar then I have a version for that but have not uploaded it to the store.

I was asked to look at a tow bar mount for the RV14 (tail wheel version). I have that planned and added to the list to be completed by October.

the last step for completing a part is to fine turn the print for that part. the mfg. department did a nice job with these. done!

celebrating this with some bling

Steve Melton 09-23-2021 02:32 PM

ASA short fuel tester - dropped by Sporty's

I see the ASA short fuel tester has been dropped by Sporty's Pilot Shop so I picked up a few to offer in a bundle. Folks were having problems breaking the drain rod. Hopefully, this new cap will correct this problem and let this part carry on because it is a compact design, perfect for RV's. a short tube is better for sumping low wing aircraft.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/produ...and-stow-mount

this part looks like a little man in a comic book to me.

David Lewis 09-23-2021 10:18 PM

Does your custom cap fit the longer fuel testers as well?

Steve Melton 09-24-2021 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lewis (Post 1557583)
Does your custom cap fit the longer fuel testers as well?

no, it does not fit the longer fuel tester. it is only for the ASA short fuel tester.

I think the original design was on the right track with the cap design because it creates a larger diameter for fuel to drain so less chance for spilling fuel during the drain but their execution of the design of the stem on the cap was poor. I like saving a good design concept and making it better. Less waste because I don't need to throw away the fuel tester just because the cap stem failed. Now there is no chance for this to fuel tester to fail when I am fueling at a remote airport because I only carry one fuel tester on board.

Steve Melton 09-27-2021 10:14 AM

RV14 tow bar brackets - tail wheel

RV14 tow bar - tail wheel arrived today. It is not as wide as the A model.

Steve Melton 09-28-2021 04:19 AM

healthy frozen pizza?

this may be a new favorite. sweet potato crust. we shared a couple of these last night and it was a hit. very easy on the stomach.

Ray had been mowing airport grass all day and Bill spent the day throwing away scrap metal. I had run 6 miles. we needed a snack.

and one not so healthy. Neumann's

adding another printer, #6 is on the way

Steve Melton 09-28-2021 08:24 PM

RV14 Bogi-bar mount tail wheel

maybe about there?

Steve Melton 09-29-2021 12:44 PM

RV10 Bogi-Bar Brackets

RV10 Bogi-Bar Brackets are similar to the RV14A brackets except the upper and lower bracket far upper and lower flanges were trimmed so the brackets only contact the lower baggage bulkhead. these brackets require drilling and bolting to the lower bulkhead.

these need a test fit and I don't have access to an RV10. does anyone want a free set for the price of shipping? you will owe me a couple photos of the installed condition and you will need to pay for the retaining pins if you want them.

rocketman1988 should probably have first dibs for these if he is still interested.

RV10 Bogi-Bar Brackets

rocketman1988 09-29-2021 05:01 PM

Be happy to test them…

I would be happy to test fit them. I will pm my contact info…