VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 05-20-2019 04:12 PM

bugs

I can't believe the bugs this year. could be because of all the water. bug blades are installed. it's the same set for the past three years. somewhere in Kansas.

Saville 05-20-2019 06:48 PM

Any chance you could reduce the size of your photos? Even the reply window gets shoved off screen.

David Paule 05-20-2019 07:36 PM

+1 on that request

Many of the photos on VAF are 800 pixels wide, and that seems to fit well.

Dave

Steve Melton 05-30-2019 05:36 AM

Headset mount for roll bar - update

some input from users about the angle of the arm allows the headset to to slide off. added option to allow users to choose the desired angle from 0, 5, 10, 15, 20 to 25 deg.

0 deg

5 deg

10 deg

15 deg

20 deg

25 deg

rv7charlie 05-30-2019 10:25 AM

Couple of thoughts from down south. If you expect your plane to spend any time down here, don't ignore fuel vent protection. I've had one of our many variants of hole-filling critters go into -4 aluminum tubing that still had the tubing cutter burr on the inside, leaving ~1/8" dia hole (90* vent tubes on an RV-4) and almost totally block BOTH tank vents. Plane was fine a few days earlier.

On a similar note, I just found a mud dauber building in the pilot side fresh air vent, in my closed hangar.

Steve, will your rudder extensions fit with the screw bosses up, instead of down? With a floor in the plane (similar to your pics), I can barely get my dainty size 9s under the pedals; it would be impossible with anything lower on the pedals.

Charlie

Steve Melton 05-30-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv7charlie (Post 1349758)

Steve, will your rudder extensions fit with the screw bosses up, instead of down? With a floor in the plane (similar to your pics), I can barely get my dainty size 9s under the pedals; it would be impossible with anything lower on the pedals.

Charlie

no, these only fit the orientation as shown.... but it's an interesting thought.

as for bugs they are low probability items but high risk if it occurs.

rv7charlie 05-30-2019 04:34 PM

Down here in the dirty south, they are not low risk at all; they are an extreme risk. In summer, every orifice in/around my hangar, from ~1/8" up to & over 1/2", gets plugged by some variation of wasp or bee. As I mentioned, they don't even care about gas fumes. They will fill pitot tubes, tank vents, air vents; even the induction air intake, if you let them. If I don't plug the sections of hose hanging in my shop, they get filled.

A number of years ago on my always-hangared early '90s vintage -4 (with the factory supplied non-air cleaner air box) ran horribly on a takeoff run. I found a ~1 1/2" x 4" x 1/2" dauber nest lying in the airbox when I checked. It was out of sight on preflight, but shook loose on the takeoff roll & got crossways over the carb inlet.

Charlie
(just trying to help your sales with testimonials of what happens without...) :-)

Steve Melton 05-30-2019 05:16 PM

the trouble with bugs is that they get you when you're not looking.

Scott Hersha 05-30-2019 06:13 PM

One thing I?ve found that works with the #4 fuel vent line is a long nylon tie-wrap with a red flag threaded onto the ?business? end. Get one that fits snugly into the vent line (mine is just a #4 Al tube bent forward below where it comes out). Shove that long nylon tie-wrap into the vent line, snugly, with the red flag flapping in the breeze so you don?t forget it on preflight - although, I don?t think it would matter. It?s not air tight, but discourages insects from building their Casa in an unwelcome place. This has worked for me in northern Michigan, where a wasp will build a nest in any hole in a few minutes. ? if they could buck rivets, you could build an RV in a week....

David Paule 05-30-2019 07:15 PM

Steve, thanks for the photo resizing. Keep it up and it'll make a difference soon.

Dave