VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

larrynew 06-03-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1264419)
We currently only print ABS material, continuous use 80C (176F). Components in the engine compartment need to be higher temp capable.

OK. Got it. Thanks.

Steve Melton 06-04-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyeyes (Post 1264430)
Hi Steve

With your vent covers are you trying to keep bugs (mud wasps) out while parked or are you trying to prevent airborne impacts?

something to replace the bonded screen that could be easily removed in the Winter. I have seen bugs on the plane while it sits on the ramp and I wondered if some crawled into the fuel vents.

flyeyes 06-04-2018 06:33 AM

Ahh, Ok.

Why remove a bonded screen in the winter? Is there a downside I?m not seeing to just leaving it on permanently?

I?ve thought about adding something to prevent icing, but haven?t out of laziness, and because my airplane has never gotten near ice.

I?ve always admired the elegance and simplicity of the ?pooor man?s inertial separator? approach that Cessna used on the strut-braced singles. The fuel vents face forward like RV vents, but are in the slipstream of the wing struts so that air can get to the opening but bugs and ice won?t make the turn.

I?ve seen a certified airplane with a plastic airfoil shape in front of the vent to accomplish the same thing, but can?t remember which plane it was.

Steve Melton 06-10-2018 04:25 PM

gas cap cover proto2

smaller diameter. magnetic hold. soft silicone seal. seal will trap in the plastic geometry, no glue. magnets glued in place.

RV9 geometry, each wing is different, so each cap model must be different to fit perfectly.

rv7charlie 06-10-2018 05:58 PM

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone makes a suction cup (similar to what's used to stick stuff to windshields) big enough to completely cover the cap. If so, a low profile disc type magnet bonded inside might allow the same technique, and it would be nearly universal in fit.

Charlie

rv7charlie 06-10-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyeyes (Post 1264595)
Ahh, Ok.

Why remove a bonded screen in the winter? Is there a downside I?m not seeing to just leaving it on permanently?

I?ve thought about adding something to prevent icing, but haven?t out of laziness, and because my airplane has never gotten near ice.

I?ve always admired the elegance and simplicity of the ?pooor man?s inertial separator? approach that Cessna used on the strut-braced singles. The fuel vents face forward like RV vents, but are in the slipstream of the wing struts so that air can get to the opening but bugs and ice won?t make the turn.

I?ve seen a certified airplane with a plastic airfoil shape in front of the vent to accomplish the same thing, but can?t remember which plane it was.

I've never worried too much about the odds of catching a bug in flight. But they seem to catch the plane's orifices easily while it's sitting still. :-)

I don't get anywhere near ice either. If it's that cold, I'm too wimpy to deal with it.

Charlie

Steve Melton 06-10-2018 07:19 PM

PC925 RV10 battery tray

a couple of tweaks made based on feedback and I located a battery for a fit check at Batteries Plus.

As the original, the center section is raised slightly to ensure no stress points at the battery edges.

Snowflake 06-11-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1266024)
RV9 geometry, each wing is different, so each cap model must be different to fit perfectly.

If I recall, the -4 and -6 are identical, and the -7 and -8 are identical. So maybe not as many models as you think.

How about a molded-in arrow (marked "front") or maybe just a groove or ridge, to help align it properly?

Steve Melton 06-11-2018 03:02 PM

good point, some wings are common.

needs a notch on the fwd edge.

thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1266123)
If I recall, the -4 and -6 are identical, and the -7 and -8 are identical. So maybe not as many models as you think.

How about a molded-in arrow (marked "front") or maybe just a groove or ridge, to help align it properly?

Steve Melton 06-12-2018 07:18 PM

looks good but doesn't work. a flat spot on the inboard and outboard edge created by the riveted cap flange prevents a good seal. further from the cap, between the ribs, the fit is good but don't need it there. need to adjust the surface profile and change to a more compliant gasket. overall, I still like the concept.

edit: this is DIY paint (no buffing), sometimes you just have to smile