VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Tram 03-26-2017 04:05 AM

Just when I was looking for another reason to get a 3D printer.. I guess I should go ahead and order it..

Any of you guys using the Maker Select V2?

YvesCH 03-26-2017 06:27 AM

I also just started to try out 3D printing as we used it a lot in my old job and there it worked great. I had two problems where I was looking for a solution:

1: Mounting the CO Guardian remote co monitor: I have to remove it periodically and the factory mounting only on one side did not satisfy me totally. So I decided to print a attachment bracket whereas the co monitor will be clipped in and secured with lockwire on top.

2: CB Panel: I wanted a solution to attach my cables from the CB panel so they make a nice turn towards the hole in the gear Towers (RV-8). The Solution will clip in the copper bus bars and the cables will be secured with a zip tie.

Now I ordered the parts at Shapeways and I hope they come soon :)

Lets see....

Steve Melton 03-26-2017 06:31 AM

nice design. what do you pay to have that part printed?

plastic cost for the fuel drain fairing = $0.58. weight = 19 grams as installed.

scard 03-26-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1159999)
no, they are smooth enough for me. yes, I'll drop the files out to a shared location when completed.

Steve, Please do share your files when you're ready. They look real nice.

Steve Melton 03-26-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scard (Post 1160756)
Steve, Please do share your files when you're ready. They look real nice.

Well, having thought about that some more. I prefer to send the model direct to the user because of legal concerns.

I think these set screws will be nice because they have a nylon tip. I'll give it a try.

Snowflake 03-26-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1160760)
Well, having thought about that some more. I prefer to send the model direct to the user because of legal concerns.

I hate this society sometimes. I would be interested in the files though.

Quote:

I think these set screws will be nice because they have a nylon tip. I'll give it a try.
Less removable, but have you considered using something like a molding adhesive tape, like they use to attach car emblems and trim pieces? If the fairing is designed with enough clearance for a 1/2" socket to get in there to pull the plug to replace the o-rings, then the fairing should never need to come off?

Also, could you comment on the choice of shape? Both yours and the JD Air ones have a nice profile that ends with a "flat" section (closest to the wing). Since you're 3-D printing, why not make a profile that looks like the pressure recovery wheelpant, that curves right down (or up) to the wing surface?

I have the original JD Air fairings that are held on by the drains... I always waste more time getting my drains to stop dripping by working and turning the plunger, when I should just pull the plug and change the O-ring, because changing it *and* holding the fairing in place at the same time is such a recipe for gas-soaked clothing... I have access to a 3-D printer so this solution seems promising to me!

Steve Melton 03-26-2017 12:06 PM

maybe a profile like this? about 7 degree.

1001001 03-26-2017 12:37 PM

Steve,

I love what you're doing with 3D printing.

A few years ago (nearing 10!) I started fiddling around with CFD analysis. I was working in the power industry at the time and was looking for ways to analyze and improve the operation of some equipment I was responsible for. I built a CFD box out of what was at the time some awesome hardware and ran OpenFOAM on it.

Fast forward, I am in a new job that doesn't have the same concerns and have left CFD behind, but not the desire to play around with it. I might consider re-equipping and getting up to speed with OpenFOAM again. I understand it has advanced quite a bit since the old days.

Now being into airplane building I have thought a lot about the possibilities for customized 3D printed solutions for fairings and covers and such, and the ability to test them out in a CFD environment. What have you found about the capabilities of SolidWorks for CFD? Does it approach the capabilities of the dedicated CFD packages?

YvesCH 03-26-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1160750)
nice design. what do you pay to have that part printed?

plastic cost for the fuel drain fairing = $0.58. weight = 19 grams as installed.

I pay around 11$ for the cable holder and 12$ for the other parts. I also made some smaller parts to tidy up my static/pitot tubes and other cables.. Those are around 2$ each. Ist quite cool as you just upload your STL file and see immediately the Prices. This keeps you improving the design to make it even lighter :) Also ist cool to just try out 3D printing without buying one. The other Advantage is the possibility to print in different materials and colours.

As soon as I will receive those parts (shipping estimate 7th of April) I will post the result here.

I use ZW3D as a CAD tool as it is the software I have at work.

Snowflake 03-26-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1160793)
maybe a profile like this? about 7 degree.

Not bad, but I was thinking more rounded at the nose, and even thinner at the back. Think a pressure recovery wheelpant cut in half across a plane parallel to the ground, and scaled down so the maximum height is the same as the protrusion of the drain.