VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Snowflake 03-20-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1511516)
too thin, can't do it. it needs to be as thin as possible.

Apart from the extra material to make it, why?

Couldn't the inside part just be made taller, to give the thickness required for an insert at the thin end? The other side would be extra thick, but that's just a longer bolt...

Or couldn't the antenna be mounted tangent to the surface (not flat, but probably not the end of the world) and both "thin" sections just long enough for the insert?

Steve Melton 03-20-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1511519)
Apart from the extra material to make it, why?

Couldn't the inside part just be made taller, to give the thickness required for an insert at the thin end? The other side would be extra thick, but that's just a longer bolt...

Or couldn't the antenna be mounted tangent to the surface (not flat, but probably not the end of the world) and both "thin" sections just long enough for the insert?

it is better to keep it low profile.

Snowflake 03-21-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1511521)
it is better to keep it low profile.

On the outside, sure... But on the inside?

David Paule 03-21-2021 11:00 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. The additional thickness could even be semi-localized at the threaded inserts.

I've been wondering how I'd attach the Dynon GPS antenna to my RV-3B, which is more tightly bent tailcone top.

Dave

Steve Melton 03-22-2021 07:12 AM

weight reduction

the half marathon races are on again. 2019 year, some guy from Japan set a good time. in order to win this race (for my age bracket) I need to loose 14 lb but I have six months to do it. the airplane will be lighter too.

Steve Melton 03-22-2021 04:49 PM

Comant antenna puck fairing

Comments from Ryan Marshall for the test fit.

"The antenna cover fits like a glove. I think the only thing I would change is to make the mounting holes less deep, just enough for an an 525 screw. Other than that is fantastic."

525's could be better. the antenna I referenced used bolts. hence the deeper countersink.

McStevens 03-22-2021 08:44 PM

I'd be curious to put a camera on that thing in flight, how much can the whole apparatus flex? Its profile looks like a tiny wing, I wonder if it will try to take off.

Flutter?

Steve Melton 03-23-2021 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStevens (Post 1512135)
I'd be curious to put a camera on that thing in flight, how much can the whole apparatus flex? Its profile looks like a tiny wing, I wonder if it will try to take off.

Flutter?

it is stiff and will not flex in flight.

Steve Melton 03-24-2021 06:32 PM

hangar pizza

I am testing a $100 pizza oven (used) in the hangar. it takes one hour to get to temperature so you can't be in a hurry. I hadn't had a deli made or frozen pizza in probably 30 years so I am amazed how much better they are now. so, I am going to try all of them and make a ranking. today was a couple California Kitchen Margherita thin crust. I would give it an 8 score today but that could change. if you have any suggestions, let me know. also, I covered 11 miles today on foot so that's an extra slice of pizza. :)

Steve Melton 03-26-2021 04:29 PM

Amy's cheese pizza

Hangar pizza. I am posting this because it was really good and received a big thumbs up from my neighbors, Amy's cheese pizza, $6. my deli and frozen pizza ranking list is growing. tomorrow is "screamin sicilian pizza".

I have to pace myself with the pizza and I try to give it away since I'm trying to lose weight. I'm down from 195 lb. 15 months ago to 178.5 lb today and on my way to 167 for half marathon race day.

ranking criteria:
1. Crust
2. Sauce
3. Cheese
4. Toppings