VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

pjc 07-30-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1450547)
yes, that is why I sent them photos of the RVPlasticPart Docks so they can tell my where they believe I infringed, then design around it. 3D printing makes they easy. no molds to deal with. if I cannot find an alternate approach to what they claim they I will delete the product. simple as that. what they initially sent me was just a copy of the patent and photos of almost every product that I made. that includes items like the GPS antenna bracket in the wingtip and universal custom phone holder.... it is their shotgun approach.

I’d be very surprised if you get a response “telling you where they believe you infringed.” They’re not interested in helping you develop a non-infringing product. They are interested in stopping production of a competitive product. They will ask the court to determine whether or not your design infringes. The process and outcome may both be expensive.

Your on the right track though by seeking to avoid infringement. As stated elsewhere, it’s only the claims that matter. If your design isn’t captured by the specific claims (as understood by one of ordinary skill in the art) it doesn’t infringe. Their broadest claim (almost always the first) seems to require two recesses. If you have a design with a single recess you may (should) be ok. The plaintiff and their counsel won’t likely agree however. The question may ultimately have to be determined by a jury. (And we are back to $$$)

Disclaimer: I hold a couple of US patents, but I am not a lawyer, never mind skilled patent counsel. Seek expert advise.

Peter

flysrv10 07-31-2020 11:13 AM

Climb-up handle for RV10

Steve, I hope you have satisfactory outcome of your issue with Airgizmo. Hate to have you shut the door because of it.

I wonder if you can print a handle strong enough to climb up on the wing of RV10. I am talking about a handle installed above the rear window.

I have been looking for a Stainless Steel cabinet handle and cannot find one anywhere. Thanks.

Steve Melton 07-31-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flysrv10 (Post 1450744)
Steve, I hope you have satisfactory outcome of your issue with Airgizmo. Hate to have you shut the door because of it.

I wonder if you can print a handle strong enough to climb up on the wing of RV10. I am talking about a handle installed above the rear window.

I have been looking for a Stainless Steel cabinet handle and cannot find one anywhere. Thanks.

I will be fine with AirGizmo. I simply request them to provide a detailed review of my products that they believe conflict with their patent and provide details relative to their patent claims. Only the items expressly claimed in a patent can be held for review in a court. Once I receive their detailed review I will be able to determine if my products can be altered as to not conflict. If I cannot, then I will simply delete the product as to have no conflict. I will abide by the law. Intellectual patent rights are important. I did not understand that something this simple could be patented.... something with two recessed areas, something that flexes, or something with a hole in the back. As I understand, 75% of patents that are brought for review for cross examination are overturned and I think that would be the case here but that takes a lot of time and effort. Since I only have a week or so into each one of these dock designs and no tooling or inventory and that it is a limited market, I don't believe it would be worth it for me to pursue. Experimental aviation is a place for learning... all kinds of stuff, and it is an exciting environment. Who would have thought a retired guy printing parts in his basement could attract this kind of attention. 3D printing is truly disruptive.

Humm, a handle for climb-up for an RV-10. certainly it could be done but since it needs to be attached with preferably a single bolt a each end the material would need to be strong so that would dictate nylon/carbon fiber for me. nylon is sensitive to UV light so it would need to be painted or covered with something. I don't know how well paint would adhere to the material or if it could be chromed. the surface would have a rough texture so that may not be good. I'll think about it.

rocketman1988 07-31-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flysrv10 (Post 1450744)

Check this place out:

https://www.shopamerock.com/Cabinet+...tainless_Steel

flysrv10 07-31-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketman1988 (Post 1450752)

Problem solved. Thanks Rocketman!

Steve Melton 08-13-2020 11:21 AM

Light panel

I haven't printed one of these in awhile but they are nice. I really need to get one of these in my aircraft. Annunciation panel 16mm push button lights. The lights have protective plastic film and then one can remove the clear plastic cover to add a label inside. Comes with cutout template and with screw hole location. Screw hole location is also included on the back side of the panel mount. Compact and modular. The lights are individually removable without any other disassembly.

Steve Melton 08-15-2020 11:03 PM

GPS Dock 1

introducing GPS Dock 1, http://www.gpsdock1.com

with Open Source files and instructions to print these well.

https://www.gpsdock1.com/open-source

I expect these will be uploaded to "Thingiverse" or similar at some point by anyone to become an official "Thingi", but this site (www.gpsdock1.com) will be a controlled and updated site to ensure configuration control.

Vlad 08-16-2020 06:37 AM

Steve,
With all your calculations and testing on durability, is there a sense to print tie down stakes? Something not rebar heavy but still strong and able to withstand some hammering on. Not for driving into rocks of Utah but rather a Wyoming clay. That would be the last part into your "Total Airplane Security Bag" :D

Steve Melton 09-04-2020 04:51 PM

rudder pedal extension rubber

these rubber inserts have been on for a couple of years now. they eliminate the high frequency vibration but they take a beating. I reversed them a year ago to extend the life but now it's time for new. I serviced my WW200 prop and then balanced to .02 IPS and with the new rubber it's liquid smooth at my feet. It really is all about the foot!

Steve Melton 09-05-2020 01:40 PM

general tablet holder

printing prototype 1, variable angle available, 4 screws or 3M dual lock velcro, hopefully, there is enough ventilation, contact is made in three local areas on the aft side of the tablet to maximize convection heat transfer area.