VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Saville 08-04-2017 05:30 AM

Hi Steve,

They look great! If you are willing to sell me a couple let me know please.

Thanks!

recapen 08-04-2017 06:00 AM

WTB

I would like to purchase a couple of these for my 6A - how?!

Saville 08-04-2017 06:10 AM

Steve,

How thick is the material where the circle meets the flat? Maybe it's just the angle but it looks paper thin at the contact point.

You wrote:

"......a nice tight fit to the mirror. maybe slightly too tight. "

Is the opening for a 1/8" thick mirror?

Can the opening be filed readily enough?

Thanks!

Steve Melton 08-04-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saville (Post 1192991)
Steve,

How thick is the material where the circle meets the flat? Maybe it's just the angle but it looks paper thin at the contact point.

You wrote:

"......a nice tight fit to the mirror. maybe slightly too tight. "

Is the opening for a 1/8" thick mirror?

Can the opening be filed readily enough?

Thanks!

Saville, I'm making these for you, right? I'll send you a couple for testing. When we get it right we'll lock it in. Then I can send you a couple hundred of the plastic pieces. I don't want to be bothered with shipping these to individuals. I don't like going to Post Office.

the thin material at the flat is a feature. it moves the glass closer to bar and adds some flexibility. it's a good thing.

Steve

Saville 08-04-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1193189)
Saville, I'm making these for you, right? I'll send you a couple for testing. When we get it right we'll lock it in. Then I can send you a couple hundred of the plastic pieces. I don't want to be bothered with shipping these to individuals. I don't like going to Post Office.

the thin material at the flat is a feature. it moves the glass closer to bar and adds some flexibility. it's a good thing.

Steve

Well I don't know that you are making them for me, per se. It was only a suggestion I made about a possible good application for 3D printing ;)

I'm happy to help test them out.

Steve Melton 08-04-2017 07:48 PM

well, I guess we need someone to route the acrylic mirrors.

AAflyer 08-04-2017 08:42 PM

Mirror clamps

Steve,
Sorry I missed you at the RV reception Sunday @ OSH. My goal was to thank as many VAF-ers as I could... you guys were instrumental to the completion of my -8.
As an old T-37 IP, I miss having mirrors... can I buy your CAD code, or a set of clamps from you? I really need to see my pax's face before they peuk.
I'd be more than happy to test these puppies out. PM me , pleas.
Thanks for all your contributions.

Saville 08-05-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1193278)
well, I guess we need someone to route the acrylic mirrors.

Well I think getting out the mirrors is the easy part. The holders are the tough part and you have nicely solved that problem.

You can get 1/8" sheet acrylic from Amazon - a 12" x 12" sheet is cheap (I paid $20) and you can get more mirrors out of that than you can use. I used a hand held saber saw with a fine toothed blade, and then sanded the edges smooth.

All that a person would need are the two radii of the inner and outer edges.

Steve Melton 08-05-2017 06:57 AM

this is a free model. anyone can have the printable .stl. remaining is to do some fit checks on an airplane. that may take a couple more weeks.

Saville 08-05-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1193347)
this is a free model. anyone can have the printable .stl. remaining is to do some fit checks on an airplane. that may take a couple more weeks.

Send a couple along and I'll test fly them

I'll send my address in a PM