VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 05-15-2020 04:05 AM

China

I receive these inquiries from China at least once a week. They just want me to send them a solid model and they will injection mold it for cheap. No thanks! The design is relatively quick and simple. The key is the manufacturing. hey, they remind me to wear a face mask.

Here are some tips to prevent infection:

1. Wash hands 2. Keep rooms well ventilated 3. Disinfect with alcohol 4. Wear face masks

I’m Nicole from HLH Prototypes. So nice to meet you. From the internet I noticed your company is mainly engaged in the research and development of plastic product.

HLH Prototypes is a well-known professional rapid tooling and prototypes manufacturer with 15 years’ experience and 2 modern production factories serving 3000 companies in 50 countries. Our advantage is the ability to provide fast lead times, good quality, and very competitive pricing.

Our services include: low Volume Injection molding & Tooling, Prototypes. We are your one stop service for all your rapid prototyping requirements.

company web site https://www.hlhprototypes.com/

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards
Nicole Xing – Rapid Tooling Engineer
HLH Prototypes Co. Ltd

w: www.HLHPrototypes.com
T: +86-755-8256-9129 ext 6048 M: +86-18816486135
WeChat:18816486135

Steve Melton 05-15-2020 10:26 PM

Garmin 760 Panel Dock

with side hand rests. I still need to work the swing arm mechanics to confirm proper clearance but overall I think this is doable. overall min dimension to be approx 5.900 x 7.780 inch. this is a compact outer profile mount. no wasted space on the panel.

for comparison the ifly 740 panel dock min dimensions are: 5.600 x 7.680 (slightly smaller than the Garmin 760 dock)

Steve Melton 05-16-2020 09:04 AM

iphone mount

what about a low profile iphone mount that could be attached with dual lock velcro similar to my D2 or screws. the base could be set to vertical and lateral angles for good viewing as an option.

Steve Melton 05-16-2020 05:30 PM

finishing my condition inspection today - wheels

bearings packed, left hand side brakes were 66% and I left them on, right hand side brakes were 33% so those got replaced. I took a photo of the spark plug baffle seal version 2 that was installed several months ago. I have version 2 on the right hand side and version 1 on the left hand side and they both look good. I don't believe either of them has been to extreme temperatures yet but they will this summer. material is nylon / carbon fiber.

Steve Melton 05-17-2020 06:52 AM

iphone holder

there seems to be plenty of good existing mounts for iPhones so I wondered about a simple holder similar to the 3x5 card holder I have. I still need to work the iPhone keep out zones but it's a thought. very simple. attach with velcro. lever on side allows for quick glance tilting.

Steve Melton 05-18-2020 11:18 AM

GPS bracket

about a year ago I printed a bracket for my wing tip GPS antenna. I inspected it this condition inspection and it looks good. If I remember correctly, I reduced the weight of this bracket to 57 grams.

I have a Archer antenna in my right wing tip and a marker beacon antenna (a length of stripped coax). I installed my GPS antenna in the right wing tip also and used the coax from my marker beacon and left the marker beacon wire in place disconnected. I noticed my CDI would not capture the ILS as well and VOR performance was diminished. I removed the marker beacon antenna today and low and behold my ILS is smoother than ever, rock solid.

the plastic bracket did not interfere with archer antenna reception but the disconnected marker beacon wire did.

Steve Melton 05-18-2020 11:24 AM

iFly 740 GPS panel mount

dimensional accuracy. the panel dock design long dimension is 7.680. the printed dimension is 7.682. within .002 inch. not too bad. I can ensure always to be within +/- .010 inch accuracy.

Steve Melton 05-18-2020 05:03 PM

iPhone 6 Plus holder

made the adjustment for keep out zones. so, no inadvertent button pushes. good for either orientation of the phone in the holder. OK for iPhone 6 and later versions. easy in and out.

DennisRhodes 05-19-2020 08:04 AM

Steve, I use a 740b i fly with a ram mount on the panel, mounted in a portrait position. I also use the serial wire connection. Although kinda like my ram mount for setting the angle I would be happy to trial fit into your panel mount and send back pic for you, its easy to remove and reattach in seconds. I saw several post back where you needed a beta tester for fit. Let me know .

Steve Melton 05-19-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisRhodes (Post 1431672)
Steve, I use a 740b i fly with a ram mount on the panel, mounted in a portrait position. I also use the serial wire connection. Although kinda like my ram mount for setting the angle I would be happy to trial fit into your panel mount and send back pic for you, its easy to remove and reattach in seconds. I saw several post back where you needed a beta tester for fit. Let me know .

thx Dennis, the panel dock for the 740b is completed and on the market at www.rvplasticparts.com. it turned out very well. I was the beta tester. however, I do need a beta tester for the new Garmin Aera 760 just for the fit check on the GPS, it does not need to be installed in a panel. GARMIN responded to my request for a solid model of the GPS but they said that they don't have one. so, I needed to make one from their spec dimensions.