VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 11-19-2019 02:48 PM

taking a closer look at ABS/Carbon Fiber

one of our rudder pedal extensions ABS (grey) and ABS/Carbon (black) for a strength test. ABS/Carbon is stiffer by feel. Material test data states the ABS/Carbon is stronger but the the only way to truly know is to test the actual part.

weight ABS (grey) = 25 grams
weight ABS/Carbon Fiber (black) = 24 grams ( but double checking this the ABS/Carbon Fiber extension is .120 inch longer, so on an equal basis it is lighter by another couple of grams. )

always use a hardened steel nozzle to print Carbon Fiber because of nozzle wear

my arrangement for the past year. cushion for the pilot, round for the copilot.

it looks like I need to flush my brake lines. they are turning blue. that's 800 flight hrs worth.

Steve Melton 11-19-2019 07:23 PM

Fuel Sump Tester Mount

I like it to be convenient and secure.

on the wall

in the cockpit

highly recommend 3M Dual Lock Velcro

RVDan 11-19-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1386646)
TBO = 0 cycles :)

to be used as an analysis model to understand the torsional response with prop mass inertia. it is slow process to make this model but making some headway.

on a side note: I shipped the first RVPlasticParts without leaving the home. USPS Printed labels and tracking, boom done! Life can begin to return to normal for me.

If you collect payment via paypal, you can use their discounted postage to print a label and ship.

Steve Melton 11-19-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVDan (Post 1387445)
If you collect payment via paypal, you can use their discounted postage to print a label and ship.

copy that, thx. whatever I do, I have to keep it as simple as possible.

Snowflake 11-20-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1387452)
copy that, thx. whatever I do, I have to keep it as simple as possible.

I know you've already got the printers now, but have you considered moving to a vendor like Shapeways, that will do the printing for you, handle the shipping, and take a percentage? Shapeways at least can offer a lot more options for printing... SLA/SLS, and I think they'd even do a urethane mold for a small volume of injection molded parts.

That way you could do all the prototyping at home, then just upload the finished product to their site and direct people there to order. You wouldn't have to deal with printing or shipping.

D Weisgerber 11-20-2019 02:36 PM

I just got 2 mounts for my Light Speed control module. The shipping was fast and the units worked very well. It was listed as Zulu 3 control module mount, but it worked perfectly with my Zulu 2. Thanks.

Steve Melton 11-20-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Weisgerber (Post 1387611)
I just got 2 mounts for my Light Speed control module. The shipping was fast and the units worked very well. It was listed as Zulu 3 control module mount, but it worked perfectly with my Zulu 2. Thanks.

good to hear. I think those will also work with the LightSpeed Sierra model.

Vlad 11-20-2019 04:23 PM

Steve the flap hinge covers are still there. :D

Steve Melton 11-20-2019 04:27 PM

hanging on at the edge of the canyon! I too am feeling the pull to head West.

Steve Melton 11-20-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1387519)
I know you've already got the printers now, but have you considered moving to a vendor like Shapeways, that will do the printing for you, handle the shipping, and take a percentage? Shapeways at least can offer a lot more options for printing... SLA/SLS, and I think they'd even do a urethane mold for a small volume of injection molded parts.

That way you could do all the prototyping at home, then just upload the finished product to their site and direct people there to order. You wouldn't have to deal with printing or shipping.

I would be concerned about quality. Printing technology is still new and while our hardware is not flight critical it is still for flight and that raises the bar. Also, I like to hear the printers operating. :) but far into the future it could be an option to make sure the parts are still available. thx for the thoughts.