VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Propellers (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Catto 3 Blade Prop (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=191955)

georgedouglas 02-03-2021 05:37 PM

Catto 3 Blade Prop

I just ordered a 3 blade Catto prop to replace my Sensenich fixed pitch prop that Vans recommends with the 0 320 Lycoming 160 HP on my RV9A. I won't get delivery until June so let me hear if I am making a mistake. I operate off my grass airstrip so I ordered it with the nickel leading edge. I opted for the all around cruise/climb prop with 72" pitch.
george

ty1295 02-03-2021 07:34 PM

I have the exact prop on my 9a, and have been happy so far.

georgedouglas 02-03-2021 07:47 PM

What prop did you have on it before changing to the Catto?
george

jselvatici 02-04-2021 06:06 AM

I have a 3 blade Catto 68x72 on the same type of engine and at 2150RPM gives me a cruise speed of 120kts (IAS).
Could not be happier, and very nice looking. Hope this helps.

uk_figs 02-04-2021 07:54 AM

My buddy has the 3 blade Catto on his 9A (340) and flies out of a grass strip, he loves the prop and his 9A climbs very well.

rjcthree 02-05-2021 01:43 PM

Why?

I made the change from the Sensenich fixed as recommended, I went to the sensenich ground adjustable. I did it primarily (90%) to get weight off the nose. The other 10% is look, to be honest. Performance, smoothness running in cruise are about the same. The idle (600-700 on the ground) got a little worse, just rougher, the loss of the rotating inertia at idle matters. I’m curious why you’re making the change.

georgedouglas 02-05-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjcthree (Post 1500704)
I made the change from the Sensenich fixed as recommended, I went to the sensenich ground adjustable. I did it primarily (90%) to get weight off the nose. The other 10% is look, to be honest. Performance, smoothness running in cruise are about the same. The idle (600-700 on the ground) got a little worse, just rougher, the loss of the rotating inertia at idle matters. Iím curious why youíre making the change.

I think the 3 blade looks nicer, more ground clearance since I operate off grass, less vibration, getting rid of the 2600 RPM restriction of the Sensenich prop, and reduced weight. Also since my airstrip is down in a valley with rising terrain at one end and tall trees at the other end, I am hoping that it gives me a little more drag on final coming in at a 4 degree plus glide slope.

I hope once I make the change that I still feel this way. When all the dust settles and I get a fair price for the Sensenich prop, the swap shouldn't be all that expensive. I only have 90 hours on the prop so it's in excellent shape.
george

DavidHarris 02-05-2021 03:24 PM

My Catto 3 blade on my Rv7a io360 works and looks great. It is much lighter than other props and I had to add 20 pounds on the crush plate to be able to carry reasonable baggage. Make sure your W&b is ok.

georgedouglas 02-05-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidHarris (Post 1500730)
My Catto 3 blade on my Rv7a io360 works and looks great. It is much lighter than other props and I had to add 20 pounds on the crush plate to be able to carry reasonable baggage. Make sure your W&b is ok.

I am hosting a weight & Balance workshop on my RV9A tomorrow morning for our EAA chapter 17 here in Knoxville TN area. I didn't build this aircraft and I have made many changes this last year that a W&B is way over due. Yes when I do install the prop I will have to recalculate it and hopefully don't have to add as much ballast as you did.
george

uk_figs 02-06-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgedouglas (Post 1500736)
I am hosting a weight & Balance workshop on my RV9A tomorrow morning for our EAA chapter 17 here in Knoxville TN area. I didn't build this aircraft and I have made many changes this last year that a W&B is way over due. Yes when I do install the prop I will have to recalculate it and hopefully don't have to add as much ballast as you did.
george

When I swapped the sensenich for the catto on my -7 the W&B was a big deal because the sensenich+hub weighed 42 lbs and the Catto only weighed 14 lbs. 28 lbs off the nose had to be compensated for, may not be as big an issue with the A models.