VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 03-26-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV8JD (Post 1513147)
This is stuff for FaceBook, not for an RV-only site!

OK. makes sense. no more food photos.

also, I quit facebook about a year ago and my life is better. I will clean up my act here.

David Paule 03-26-2021 06:07 PM

Frankly, I like food and think that for a productive RV experience, food must be a part of it. Keep it up, Steve. I'm interested in your conclusions regarding your favorite pizza.

On my VAF builder blog, here, every once in a while I mention something that I've baked. Since my RV-3B project is taking longer than I'd anticipated, for me baking bread is something that gives near-instant gratification. It helps keep me sane for my RV-3B construction.

Since this thread is primarily about Steve's printed RV parts, how can we begrudge him a few posts about something else we all share? Who knows - maybe he'll print a pizza oven for an RV one day.

Dave

Mark Dickens 05-16-2021 01:30 PM

I'm interested in reducing drag and was thinking about the tailwheel steering springs. Has anyone created a "bullet shaped" (for lack of a better word), open ended fairing that would fit over the spring but leave the aft end of it open? Seems like 3d printing would be a perfect application for this.

And yes i know all about the rocket link, and so on. I like the spring setup myself

Steve Melton 06-30-2021 07:35 PM

Hangar Pizza favorite

I've been through a lot of frozen pizza's. Everyone has their own tastes but to keep it very short, this is my favorite and it is very simple.

Amy's cheese pizza with red pepper flakes. Best crust, great sauce and cheese. I added the red pepper flakes. Goes great with a good beer. I have a stone in my oven, 350F, 13 minutes.

Steve Melton 07-01-2021 07:46 PM

Loft lighting

this is what 100K lumens looks like on the ceiling. switches allow for 3, 5 or all 8 lights. I noticed it makes reading small print easier. I am happy with the loft. the pull down door location is good. the lights are recessed in the joists to prevent inadvertent impact in a work space. the structure is solid to walk, not much flex. electrical outlets added at each post, total five.

Steve Melton 07-08-2021 06:06 AM

most used plastic in the home

my wife was asking for a dishwasher sign to indicate "clean" or "dirty". it is the most used plastic in our home. it's easy to flip over. orient the words so you only need to roll it. now all I hear is "READ THE SIGN"! she is happy. you know, doing even the smallest things for her can result in benefits.

make each side, insert a magnet and glue together.

Scott Hersha 07-08-2021 08:10 PM

So……. are you saying your SS dishwasher is magnetic? — don’t tell your wife. Mine isn’t, but my SS frig is magnetic (just checked).

Scott Hersha 07-08-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1537036)
this is what 100K lumens looks like on the ceiling. switches allow for 3, 5 or all 8 lights. I noticed it makes reading small print easier. I am happy with the loft. the pull down door location is good. the lights are recessed in the joists to prevent inadvertent impact in a work space. the structure is solid to walk, not much flex. electrical outlets added at each post, total five.

We are going to have a disco dance party in Steve’s hangar with dancing girls (short ones) on the lighted loft/dance floor.
Joking of course, but Steve has the nicest 14.4’ T-hangar at our airport - no question!

Steve Melton 07-09-2021 09:08 AM

thx for comments Scott. the loft has exceeded my expectations. multiple benefits and the most important is that it clears some space for a small t-hangar. hey, kudos to Van's because I rarely do anything to plane now except normal scheduled maintenance and that leaves time for other things. I'm fine to do scheduled maintenance but I don't like unscheduled maintenance. the RV9 has exceeded my expectations. I'm a happy camper.

Steve Melton 07-12-2021 07:36 PM

I wondered if the RV9 could be moved into the hangar nose first and have room to pull an engine if needed from the loft fwd beam. Scott says this is a 14.4 ft t-hangar and he should know since he built them but what I was interested in is the loft fwd beam position relative to the engine lifting point. As it turns out, I can fit the plane in the hangar with the door closed and have 32 inches from the wing to the hangar wall. the engine lift point is directly under the fwd beam. once you lift the engine, the plane would need to be moved out of the way so really not much gained by a winch on the beam. probably better to just use a traditional engine lift. for general engine work, this orientation is good. in the Winter time the loft curtains will close the hangar aft area off around the fuse.