What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Supertracks during construction?

Iluke

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the supertracks sliding canopy mod during initial construction? I've seen the installation video and read a couple threads of people who back-fitted the super tracks to an existing airplane, and it'' doesn't seem too hard at all.
That said, I'm just about to order my finish kit and I intend to install the supertracks mod as I go.

If anyone has done this already, I'd appreciate any insights.

thanks
Ivan

I would install the extension on top as you are installing the stock one. I would then build per plans, get a perfectly working slider, and modify from there.

If you are in the position to add the Supertracks during construction, that will only make the installation just that much easier.

As we all know, doing any job at the airport after you're flying only ensures that the tool you need is at home! :rolleyes:

Installed mine during construction, prior to canopy installation. I suspect it was much easier than installation after the canopy is installed.

Supertracks

I plan to. They also recommend using the RV8 deck rail on the 7 or 9. I may have the e-mail if you are interested.

Supertacks

Put them on my 9A. Highly recommend. Ok to fit them once you get the canopy fitted

Last edited:
I plan to. They also recommend using the RV8 deck rail on the 7 or 9. I may have the e-mail if you are interested.

Larry-
Thanks. Exactly the kind of hint I was hoping for. If you have their email handy I'd appreciate it if your forwarded it to me. I'm at [email protected]

thanks

BTW- I enjoy following your build site & have learned a lot from it!

Center rail

Instead of installing the center rail extension you could order a 4.5' length of the bar stock from Van's and make it the length you need in 1 piece. Did just that on the 9.

Don Broussard

RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Larry-
Thanks. Exactly the kind of hint I was hoping for. If you have their email handy I'd appreciate it if your forwarded it to me.

Here I am.... [email protected]... for all your Supertrack questions. You can also contact Blake via any of the contact links on the Flyboy Accessories web site (below).

Thanks,

I will be starting the canopy on my slider shortly and adding the Supertracks. The flyboy guys recommended using the longer RV8 slider track during initial install to avoid splicing into the stock -7 track. I noticed however that the bend radius on the front of the -8 track needs to be modified to match that of the -7. Easily accomplished with a little TLC in a vise using the stock -7 track as a pattern.

Jake
RV6 COMPLETED 1991-SOLD
RV7 well underway.
2017 dues paid

I will be starting the canopy on my slider shortly and adding the Supertracks. The flyboy guys recommended using the longer RV8 slider track during initial install to avoid splicing into the stock -7 track. I noticed however that the bend radius on the front of the -8 track needs to be modified to match that of the -7. Easily accomplished with a little TLC in a vise using the stock -7 track as a pattern.

Jake
RV6 COMPLETED 1991-SOLD
RV7 well underway.
2017 dues paid

Thanks! Good info and makes me eager to get started with it!

Yep

My stepson (A&P) has installed them on a customer's RV-6 and found that the turtledeck skin was too long at the front, only allowing 6" of rearward movement of the slider, so we found that we could remove almost 3" of metal, allowing the slider to travel that much further aft.

So, in order to get the full benefit from the supertrack system, be sure and have only a little overlap of your slider when it is in its full forward position.

Best,

Hi Folks!

Hoping to get some clarification, and perhaps suggestions, from those of you who've gone before me. My finishing kit is supposed to crate and ship in May and I have the Supertracks mod all ready to build into the sliding canopy. Do I want to include in my finish kit the RV-8 slide rail/track (I believe it's C-804), or do I just want to order the same size bar stock and form it to match the existing RV-7 rail C-762? Or, do I just want to use the track extension provided with the Supertracks kit? I would think keeping it a one-piece rail is preferred, but I'm a bit confused about how to order the one-piece rail (i.e., stock or RV-8 C-804).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ryan

Bar stock

Hi Folks!

Hoping to get some clarification, and perhaps suggestions, from those of you who've gone before me. My finishing kit is supposed to crate and ship in May and I have the Supertracks mod all ready to build into the sliding canopy. Do I want to include in my finish kit the RV-8 slide rail/track (I believe it's C-804), or do I just want to order the same size bar stock and form it to match the existing RV-7 rail C-762? Or, do I just want to use the track extension provided with the Supertracks kit? I would think keeping it a one-piece rail is preferred, but I'm a bit confused about how to order the one-piece rail (i.e., stock or RV-8 C-804).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ryan

Order the har stock and strip stock. Much easier. The 8 rail is a tad short on the forward end for a 7. I fabricated a new rail from the bar and strip and left it full length till everything was finished. That way, if you decide to slot the aft top deck for extra travel, the rail is still long enough. When the final product was done, I had it powder coated to match my canopy parts. Looks nice.

My stepson (A&P) has installed them on a customer's RV-6 and found that the turtledeck skin was too long at the front, only allowing 6" of rearward movement of the slider, so we found that we could remove almost 3" of metal, allowing the slider to travel that much further aft.

So, in order to get the full benefit from the supertrack system, be sure and have only a little overlap of your slider when it is in its full forward position.

Best,

You can also just notch the turtledeck to allow the slider to move a little further aft.

Just done on RV7 during build

I have just finished about a week ago. Fit my slider and have the bubble sika?d to the frame. I have the 8 rails but chose not to use them, instead just used the add on when finishing the spine track.
Easy to do when you are building.
Just need to get both the supertracks and main canopy tracks anodised black to finish them off :D

Back