What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Tom Powers #83300

aviationone

Well Known Member
I decided I needed to start another project, so last June I started building an 8. I went the easy way with QB wings and fuselage.
IMG_0243.JPG

I finished building a shelf that will be used for the ELT, Remote Transponder, Remote ADSB receiver, & room for future stuff. After running some W&B balance numbers and reading the forms I decided to put the Battery up front.

Last edited:
You build fast

Tom, keep up the good work. We miss you around these parts!

Last edited:
I made a couple of trips this month. The first one was down to Albuquerque New Mexico to visit with Vertical Power to check out the VPX electronic circuit breaker system they make. After getting the grand tour and playing with some of the display units they set me up with a VPX Sport. The second trip was to Dynon to pick up all of the panel stuff that was ready. The only thing that I will have to wait on is the new Comm. Radio and Intercom. (I already cut the panel for it.)
I decided to go ahead and put the plane on the gear. The deciding factor was looking at getting at the gear attach bolts with the fuel lines and wiring in the way. Also I wanted to wait for the temperature to get a little warmer before I start cutting the canopy.

FWD & AFT Skins are on and started the canopy rail

IMG_0560.JPG

Started the panel

Picture%2520003.jpg

Started the side panel

IMG_0576.JPG

Picture%2520010.jpg

Waiting on the last two radios

IMG_0621.JPG

I put the battery on the firewall, Planning on a Whirlwind Prop

Picture%2520014.jpg

Last edited:
Wow its been a while since my last update and today was a big day because I was able to move to the airport. I was running out of room in the garage and was able to get a hanger. Still have lots to do but will now have have room to do it in.
From my last post I was able to finish the panel and get every thing wired and up and running, I installed the engine/Prop, ran all the engine control cables,started the engine baffles and got the engine cowling fitted.

Got The Panel up and Running

Cowling is trimmed and fitted

IMG_1500.JPG

Moving Day

IMG_1528.JPG

Made it to the airport

In the Hanger

Last edited:
Red Carpet for the RV! First time I see this. I assume red color will be incorporated into paint scheme :)

Tom... Looking good.

It won't be long now.... Can't wait for the first flight report. Stay safe.

Tom, I love the "clean" look of your panel. That is Awesome! Looking forward to catching a ride someday.

Red Carpet

Red Carpet for the RV! First time I see this. I assume red color will be incorporated into paint scheme :)

Found it on Craigs List, A guy that worked trade shows had 100+ rolls for free. I was able to get 10 rolls 8'X40' in the back of my truck. I have enough to due the hanger 2-3 more times.
Gota luv free stuff

Radio

I was originally going with Dynons radio/ intercom but when I was ready to install them the delivery date kept pushing. While at Oshkosh the Garmin folks was able to give me a delivery date so I went with plan B and changed radios. The delivery date for the Garmin also pushed and it shipped around the same time the Dynon would have. (That's what I get for being impatient)
I'm happy with the Garmin it was a clean install and receives radio frequency (auto tunes) from the Skyview.

Cutting panel?

Do you have advice for cutting the panel accurately? Did you use some form of CNC or a more manual process?

Cutting panel

Do you have advice for cutting the panel accurately? Did you use some form of CNC or a more manual process?

The first panel I did with the original Dynon Radios I had the panel cut by Up North Aviation. http://www.upnorthaviation.com/ They do great work and everything fit perfect.
After changing radios I cut the 2nd panel myself using a high speed/cutting wheel, Rotary files and hand files. It didn't take too long but my panel was a simple one.

Work Continues

While waiting on the temperature to warm up before starting the canopy I put the tail control surfaces back on. I closed up the fiberglass tips with honeycomb, did final rigs on tail, Installed elevator trim servo/with disconnect plug, Hooked up rudder cables and tail wheel springs, Fitted the horizontal/Vertical stab fairing. (I got lucky it only required a little bit of fiberglass work for a good fit)
I also started the engine baffles and snorkel. The snorkel looks like it will fit without any major modification. Installed engine control cables, the mixture and prop governor brackets worked from the kit Van sells. I did have to make a throttle cable bracket because of the cold air induction sump has different bolt pattern. I also had to change the arms on the Silver Hawk Fuel Injection Servo.

Honnycomb fitted in tips

Bonded in place

D-Sub connector for elevator trim servo under Vert. Stab

Throttle Bracket

Prop Gov & Red Cube

Last edited:
Mostly nightmares! Miss the people though.

I also notice the red wire tying, shrink-wrapping, burnish brushed hole, looks like some pro-seal between parts, pan-nuts, jap-nuts, sweet wire clamp and the cherry max. All llooks familiar:)

Baggage Door & Enigine Stuff.

I have been jumping around finishing up stuff that I had already started. I finished the baggage door. I found that a 3/16” transfer punch fits in the door lock rods. I closed the door with the transfer punch installed which made a mark where the center of the nylon block gets located. After installing the blocks the door closes / locks good. I continued with the engine baffles, located the oil cooler; bleed the brakes, installed cabin heat control cable and started running the engine oil cooler hoses.

Door Lock Rods

Door Closed And Locked

Last edited:
Stab is Back Off

I decided to do the Horizontal Stabilizer Service Bulletin. I was going to just do the inspection but unfortunately had to pull the tail off anyways so I figured it would be a good idea to just get it done now. I just about have the engine baffles done with the snorkel and air cleaner installed. Also mounted the Oil Cooler and hoses.

Last edited:
Horizontal Stabilizer Service Bulletin Time?

Once the horizontal stab was off the fuselage, how long did it take to complete the service bulletin?

I decided to do the Horizontal Stabilizer Service Bulletin. I was going to just do the inspection but unfortunately had to pull the tail off anyways so I figured it would be a good idea to just get it done now. I just about have the engine baffles done with the snorkel and air cleaner installed. Also mounted the Oil Cooler and hoses.

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

Oil Cooler Mount Potential for Crack

I can't tell from the picture but, if you don't have it already, make sure that you have a reinforcing angle on the corner of the baffle on the outside of the oil cooler mount. This corner area is almost guaranteed to crack without it. There are a number of board discussions on this issue.

Stab Service Bulletin

The kit from Van?s is complete, goes together per the directions and fits well. I took three days about two/three hours a day to complete (tail off). I wouldn?t say there are any traps; the doubler gets positioned from its pre bent line to the bend mark on the spar. Double check the positioning and edge distance on the fasteners before drilling. Take your time drilling out the rivets in the spar; What worked good for me was drilling the heads off of the rivets on the spar then using an automatic center punch remove the rest of the rivets.

1. Get the proper tools. (including sharp drill bits)
2. Take your time. (it always takes longer doing a job twice)
3. Get help if needed, has it been awhile since you drilled out a pile of rivets.

I can't tell from the picture but, if you don't have it already, make sure that you have a reinforcing angle on the corner of the baffle on the outside of the oil cooler mount. This corner area is almost guaranteed to crack without it. There are a number of board discussions on this issue.

I was waiting to get the ignition leads, and baffle seal installed. Thinking about a support rod going down to the engine (inside). If there is still flexing I will add an angle. It took me awhile to get the right combination on my 6 before the cracks stopped.

WINGS ARE ON / TURTLE DECK SKIN IS OFF.

I fitted the wheel pants and the wings. I measured about three times to make sure everything looked good before drilling the aft spar hole. I used an egg cup and reamers to get a straight clean final hole. It’s starting to look like a plane now that the wings are on. They will be coming back off after I get the tank fittings, fuselage fairings, and the flaps fitted.
Last week I was getting ready to make the big cut in the canopy. I was sitting in the plane with the slider frame installed and was having second thoughts about having the roll bar right in my field of vision. I decided to convert to a tilt over Show Planes Canopy. So I removed the aft skin, both side rails the instrument panel and the aft. Bulkheads (tail was off for the SB). The parts for Show Planes should be ready to pick up in a week or two. I will update how difficult the conversion will be but it looks like it won’t be all that painful.

Plane back apart again. Waiting on parts.

photo%25203.JPG

Last edited:
I finished up what I could do with the wings on. I fitted the flaps, drilled up the wing to fuselage fairings, drilled and installed the fuel tank attach fittings and installed the naca scoop in the right hand wing. I had to put a slight bend in the flap skin to get a good fit to the fuselage but overall it fit pretty good. I made the drive down to Medford, Oregon to Show Planes and picked up the parts needed to convert my sliding canopy to a fast back.

Fuel tank attach fittings installed

photo%25204.JPG

Flaps and wing fairings fitted

Parts for canopy conversion

photo%25201.JPG

Last edited:
Fast Back Progress

Starting to make some good progress on the Fast Back conversion, The vertical stabilizer was modified to fit the larger turtle deck skin. The forward skin was cut and both side rails above the longerons get replaced with longer narrower ones.
Next up will be to modify the new instrument sub panel then start fitting the canopy.

PRE MOD -------------------------------------------------- CURRENT STATUS

IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG

Last edited:
Fast Back Progress

I think I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Canopy conversation is progressing well. I finished modifying the instrument panel and the fiberglass cover that connects the skin and panel. The canopy was trimmed to fit and the provided bulkheads were fitted and bonded / fiber glassed in place. I installed the handle and the lock rods. I cut and fit the plexi glass canopy. Next up will be to sand a bit more, paint the inside and bond the canopy to the frame. I put the wings on for good due to most of what’s left to do on the canopy can be done off the plane.
So overall I’m glad I decided to install the Show planes fastback kit. The kit comes complete and a pretty easy to follow install manual. If you make the decision early on you can save about $1000.00 from parts not needed from finish kit. Below are some pictures and more are located at the link on the signature block.

Fitting in Bulkheads

Canopy trimmed and fitted

Bonding one piece a day to get a good tight fit

Manufactured and fitted control rods

Canopy cut and fitted

New roll bar welded, Currently out getting chromed

Wings on for good

Last edited:
Wow that's looking great Tom. Can't wait to see it in person someday. We will have to meet up when we've both flown some time off!

Tom Powers! The canopy on my rocket expands about 3/8" over its entire length when its on the airplane out in the sun. You might want to leave some more room at the rear allow for the canopy to expand.

Tom Powers! The canopy on my rocket expands about 3/8" over its entire length when its on the airplane out in the sun. You might want to leave some more room at the rear allow for the canopy to expand.

Yep, still have some final trim before paint and need to hit the canopy before I bond it onto the frame. How is the Rocket going? You have to get it in the air before Jim gets the new Yellow done.

Wow that's looking great Tom. Can't wait to see it in person someday. We will have to meet up when we've both flown some time off!

Sounds good Andy, From the looks at your progress you will be coming up to KPAE. I'm planning/hoping on February - March completion date. You are looking real close.

Canopy question

Tom
How hard was it to layout and cut the clear canopy? I got to that point and stopped. What is the white stuff on the frame to make the rig for mating the canopy on the front? flox mix? sika? Great work. Thanks

Tom
How hard was it to layout and cut the clear canopy? I got to that point and stopped. What is the white stuff on the frame to make the rig for mating the canopy on the front? flox mix? sika? Great work. Thanks

I pretty much followed the directions from Showplanes. I removed the protective plastic from the top on the canopy only, the bottom I just trimmed it up about six inches. I then marked the cut lines per the manual and also marked the center line of the canopy before cutting (this will help you in keeping the canopy centered while getting it trimmed) .
After the canopy going on and off for trimming a bunch, I got it to fit real good, I then secured it in place with tape and drilled it, the canopy lifted about 1/2" in the front after all was said and done (not the plan but the flocked cotton would fill the gap with no issues). The front was just Flocked cotton fiber mixed with resin from Aircraft Spruce. I covered the canopy with tape and also covered the tape with a release wax. I mixed the flox mixture so it would just hold on a mixing stick when held up. I used an empty sealant tube with a sealant gun to apply a good bead to the taped area in the front. This was done with the canopy off the plane and it was standing straight up/down so it would flow well. Let it fully harden standing up.With some careful prying the canopy will pop off of the floxed area and you will be left with a perfect frame for the canopy to sit in. I did go back a put a coat of resin/micro balloon/mil fiber on the aft side to give it a smooth look. The best thing to do is take your time and not rush it.

Thanks,
That's good motivation to get started back. I know it's not that hard once you get started and very rewarding once you finish a task. Thanks for the reply.
Robert

Don't mess with your pictures

I was organizing my pictures (some that were posted here) when I found by doing so I messed up all the correct links. The link below should be back to working.

I brought the canopy home so that I can bond the bubble to the frame and get a coat of paint on it. I called the fuel truck the other day and had three Gal. a side put on (no leaks :)). I installed all interior panels and hopefully put the instrument panel in for the last time, updated all Dynon software and final configured the VPX . I just about have the engine hook ups done. I purged the fuel system pre oiled engine and spun the prop. Its ready to start but I think I will wait until I get the canopy back on.

IMG_0286.JPG

2nd engine start.

A quick video of the second engine start. I started it for the first time yesterday, Only issues I had was the idle was about 100 RPM higher then I wanted, and had to swap the hall effect sensor for the amp gage around (it was reading discharge). Other than that I did a quick check to make sure it taxied straight. All was good. .

Still working fiberglass on the canopy :(

http://youtu.be/tAaynSA627s

Looking good Tom. But as a former owner of an open cockpit plane in the Northwest I suggest you finish up that canopy before the first flight :eek:

Looking good Tom. But as a former owner of an open cockpit plane in the Northwest I suggest you finish up that canopy before the first flight :eek:

As much as I dislike fiberglass, sanding,X5 I think your right, I will have the canopy on before first flight. :D

Almost There

I finished the Canopy and installed it. I'm happy that I changed directions and went with the Show Planes Fast Back canopy. It feels like a tight seal when closed and locks securely. I will check further on first flight.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I made it to a local FOB today and got the transponder test done (Mode S, FAR 91.411 & 91.207 up to 20K) Skyview and the D6 was right on the money all the way to 20K and the mode s was also checked good.:)

FullSizeRender.jpg

After the transponder was done it was time to hit the scales to see what she weighs.

Left Wheel : 504
Right Wheel : 505
Tail Wheel 59

Total 1068 @ 78.05

AIRBORNE SOON

Back