What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Happy New RV-4 Owner!

ChrisF16

My name is Chris Watson. I've been lurking here while shopping for an RV-4. I saw several helpful posts by SmokyRay and contacted him to help me find a healthy, flying RV-4. He did an awesome job finding just the right airplane for me, working the deal with the seller, conducting the pre-buy (he's an A&P) and then Smoky "Iron Man" Ray flew the thing all the way to San Antonio from Virginia in one day straight into the teeth of a strong headwind.

I flew it Wednesday morning with a local RV CFI for my insurance checkout and then I took it out on my own this Saturday hitting all my usual weekend flying spots. The crew of RV owners/builders I fly with were very impressed with her. She was the star attraction everywhere today.

If you are new to RV's (or even if you're not) I can whole-heartedly recommend Smoky's services.

Beautiful warbird paintjob after a 2 year restoration. It has an O-320 160hp with c/s prop. She really jumps into the air!
web.jpg

We started the morning with the Saturday breakfast run to New Braunfels
web.jpg

A purchased "RV Grin" is still a grin!
web.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

That's a pretty -4 Chris! Enjoy! I just started flying my -8 and today I was out in it tooling around and I marvel at the handling - no wonder you fighter types migrate to this lineage of airplane! They fly like a dream!

RV GRIN!

Hi & Congrats Chris,

I have to grin as I completrly understand your excitement. I love the -4 most of all. I read an article by test pilot Chuck Berthe back in 1993 & got fired up about them. Figured if he had one, would be good for me.

Your plane is BEAUTIFUL. I hope to see it soon in person. I fly regular anti-Soviet submarine patrol missions around all the area lakes in south & central Texas and New Braunfels is in my patrol area. :eek:

Friends of Smokey are refurbishing mine & are almost through. Should be flying again next month. Hope to see you around! Hey, the -4 is a great x-country machine!!

Cheers & Enjoy,

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (8T6)

it's tucked away below the horizontal stabilizer. You can see it in the first picture, although it is not readable.

Thanks Brent and Deal. I look forward to meeting you Deal and any other RV'ers. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about the airplane.

Deal, I used to fly Vipers in the TXANG at Kelly. We totally neglected that mission of Soviet Maritime Ops detection in the S. Texas lakes and rivers. I'm glad you had our back :D

RV4

congrats Chris, plane looks great. Sorry about your F16 being repod, but this way you will not have to worry so much about refueling!

Enjoy and thanks for your service.

Back