VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Safety (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   RV-8 accident - Mandan, ND (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=183826)

rv8ch 06-20-2020 03:36 PM

RV-8 accident - Mandan, ND

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20200613X70924

If what is written here turns out to be true this sure looks tragically preventable.

Quote:

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, June 13, 2020 in Mandan, ND
Aircraft: Vans RV8, registration: N836JC
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On June 13, 2020, about 1400 central daylight time, a Vans RV8 airplane, N836JC, was destroyed when it was involved in an accident near Mandan, North Dakota. The pilot sustained fatal injuries. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

According to initial information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), a witness observed the airplane on the ramp prior to the flight and advised the pilot that the rear seat belt was securing the rear control stick. The pilot subsequently departed in the airplane on runway 13 at the Mandan Municipal Airport (Y19), near Mandan, North Dakota. The takeoff was a 3-point takeoff and the airplane subsequently had a steep climb. The airplane descended, impacted terrain, and a ground fire occurred.

Capt 06-20-2020 08:24 PM

Oh that's utterly tragic, I drive an 8 and it's the single most concerning issue I am paranoid about, making sure the controls are free at all times as unlike the side by side machines I can't view the rear control stick. Most likely was avoidable this event, RIP��

rv6n6r 06-20-2020 09:20 PM

Years ago there was a fatal RV-6 accident at Arlington WA. caused by the same thing -- in this case it was the passenger side stick.

Because of that accident I have NEVER used the passenger stick to tie back the controls, only the pilot side stick. Something that should universally taught and practiced in RVs IMHO.

erikpmort 06-20-2020 09:24 PM

Who takes off with the stick in full back position.... either way sad to hear

rv6n6r 06-20-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikpmort (Post 1440793)

True, and it highlights another aspect of the accident at Arlington. The guy had let himself get hurried by the ground crew urging people to hurry up on account of all the departures from the fly-in. Another lesson there, remember at all times that YOU are the PIC, take that to heart. I can't say I've never been susceptible, but I do my best to remember it.

skylor 06-20-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikpmort (Post 1440793)

I can't even safely get into the pilot seat of my -8 if the stick is in the full aft position!

Skylor

Capt 06-21-2020 12:44 AM

I start my t/o roll stick full back but in the 8 it's just a few seconds then it gets moved fwd. would take about 2 secs to realise something was not right.

plehrke 06-21-2020 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv6n6r (Post 1440791)
Because of that accident I have NEVER used the passenger stick to tie back the controls, only the pilot side stick. Something that should universally taught and practiced in RVs IMHO.

+1. I will never use anything that locks the controls that does not happen at the pilot seat. Also my preflight and taxi check list has move control stick full travel on it 3 times (once before engine start so if issue don?t have to shut down, once before taxi, and once as last item on check list before taking active runway)

Mark Dickens 06-21-2020 07:11 AM

This sickens me...I don't even have my rear stick installed unless I am going to have a pilot passenger. Then I remove it when I get back. I have to move my stick to even get into my seat. I just don't see how you would even intentionally do this.

sailvi767 06-21-2020 07:43 AM

Every takeoff should be proceeded by a full control check. I hammer this into every new pilot I fly with. The Airforce not long ago lost a C130 because they failed to do a control check. Never push the power up for any takeoff unless you have verified the controls are free and correct.