What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waiting for the warm weather

Draker

Well Known Member
Bad timing: I'm ready to start working with canopy plexiglass but it's in the freezing middle of winter. Nope! Gotta look for some other stuff to do in the mean time. Looks like there is plenty of canopy related work, but the plans have you doing them after the plexiglass is in place. Any reason that some or all of these can't be done before the plexiglass work? Canopy reinforcement brace kit, side skirts, canopy lift struts, aft canopy latch lugs (the parts that engage with the latch "fingers"), interior canopy handle. Do I really need the plexi fit to do these?

If I really have to wait, I guess I can set the canopy frame aside and work on the engine mount or something. Or start fiberglassing the empennage. Or start installing avionics. Or the wiring harnesses. Or the stick grips. Or pull the trigger on a panel. Come to think of it there's plenty of stuff to do at this stage!

We don't usually see Livermore, CA and "cold weather" in the same post. :D Why not knock together a small workroom out of 2x4s and Visqueen and put a small heater in it?

Last edited:
Ryan,

I moved on to working on some engine mount / firewall stuff. There is also the brake assemblies. Well there is always plenty to do it seems...

Same Boat

I am in the same boat. Ready to start canopy. But I think I will wire up tail cone and work my way forward. I am not sure if I can do firewall forward without gear on. Plane is too tall for garage with gear and I am height challenged.

I am in the same boat. Ready to start canopy. But I think I will wire up tail cone and work my way forward. I am not sure if I can do firewall forward without gear on. Plane is too tall for garage with gear and I am height challenged.

I did my 7 tipper with the fuse sitting on short supports while doing the canopy, FWF stuff as well as the panel and most wiring etc. (Same issue with the low garage height). I then had to remove the canopy to install the gear while doing the brakes, fairings, cowl, wheel pants etc. I found most tasks were a lot easier with the fuse at a lower height off the gear. Still remember being at the 90 percent done and 90 percent left to go stage!

I did my 7 tipper with the fuse sitting on short supports while doing the canopy, FWF stuff as well as the panel and most wiring etc. (Same issue with the low garage height). I then had to remove the canopy to install the gear while doing the brakes, fairings, cowl, wheel pants etc. I found most tasks were a lot easier with the fuse at a lower height off the gear. Still remember being at the 90 percent done and 90 percent left to go stage!

Yep, after this you will have to stand on a 5 gallon bucket or ladder to do just about anything. Luckily I was almost done with my wiring before I put her on gear.

Canopy

I did mine in chilly temps in May. Just heat the area before cutting. Actually, I never got above 70. Pretty cold at 7,500'. It can be done. Now I'm working a one piece fiberglass skirt. I would recommend getting the frame as close as possible plus 1/2-3/4" before touching the canopy.

Back