What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Finger Strainer Install

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I'm attempted to install the finger strainer on completed fuel tank but found that at about halfway screwed in, I could no longer use my fingers. I got a wrench out and got another turn or two out of it before it became EXTREMELY tight even with a wrench. I stopped there and tried to install it on the the other tank's uninstalled rib with the same results. Is the strainer supposed to screw all the way down flush? I've got to missing something here.

2s5xvme.jpg

2u7n0rd.jpg

Thanks. No sooner did I post did I had the bright idea to check section 5. Because it is such a great resource, VAF sometimes becomes the automatic go to for questions rather than the manual.

Hmmm...My prehistoric (~2002) -7 kit, and my 1990 era -4 have the fuel pickups mounted on the access plate, as shown in the plans. Is the pictured method for just the -14, or has it changed for all the other models, as well?

Open question to Van's...

If this is a revision to 'current tech', why not use an automotive style 'sock' as the strainer? Much bigger surface area, better pre-filtering, and pretty much self cleaning.

Charlie

Am I correct in assuming that because it is a tapered tread, it should not go all the way in, so the first picture in this thread looks ok?

(it just misses some sealant)

Correct.

If it does go all the way in, it is an indicator that something is wrong with either the fitting or the hole it is being threaded into.

Back