What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS location

BryanArd

For you -8 builders, who also have Dynon displays...where is the preferred location to mount the AHAHRS?

Thanks!

I put mine on AL angles across top longerons behind baggage bulkhead. Used brass hardware. Compass changes when opening and closing canopy but no problems after canopy is closed.

Thanks Jeff! Glad to hear you don’t have any issues after the canopy is closed. What size angle did you use?

I put mine at the rear battery tray location. I also have a separate magnetometer on the wingtip so I don't have to worry about the having steel objects inside the baggage compartment right above the ADHARS. The magnetometer is inexpensive, and the only drawback is the long Dynon serial wire run to the wingtip.

Angles behind aft bagage

Like others, behind the aft bagage bulkhead. Used the 3/4 inch standard angles, brass hardware everywhere.
I didn't install a remote magnetometer.
Not flying yet.

Attachments

• IMG_5820.jpg
    IMG_5820.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 440
Same location as Eric but just a single (vs.) dual ADHARS. Magnetometer is in the left wing. Static ports are underneath the aft baggage shelf.

And WOW Eric's is clean enough to eat a sandwich off of. Mine... not so much. Unless you like the taste of dust from 2003? Although it's not nearly as dirty to the touch as the pic makes it seem... sheeeeesh!

Attachments

• 2021-01-25_23-04-16.jpg
    2021-01-25_23-04-16.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 371
Jake, do you have a picture that shows how the mount angles are attached to the fuselage structure? I understand there are gussets/reinforcements there, I'm just curious how you did it.

. 2 aluminum angles, notched and bolted to the top of the longerons.

I put mine on a left wing inspection panel, shimmed to level. Easy pitot line access. Had the unit go out coming back from the Bahamas. Dynon overnighted one and took 15min to change on the ramp. Works great.

For you -8 builders, who also have Dynon displays...where is the preferred location to mount the AHAHRS?

Thanks!

I originally mounted my Dynon ADHARS across the rear of the longerons but I discovered it was difficult to get back there after the fuselage is closed and the elevator control rod was mounted. I relocated my mounting location to the rear battery tray area, the battery was moved to the firewall. The only downside is the need for the magnetometer which will be mounted at the wingtip.

I am amazed of how little room is left at the rear of the RV8. Even a small guy like myself, I find it hard to squeeze past the rear most frame of the baggage compartment.

Back