What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why not separate Model Specific for 12 and 12iS

Amadeus

Well Known Member
It seems these two models each deserve their own categories. While these two models are similar in many ways they are also different when it comes to issues.

This was proposed early-on and VAF decided to keep all things 12 in one forum. More in common than dissimilar…

I'm relatively new to researching my build options. It is disappointing when I read about an issue and begin leaning toward the Zenith 750 Cruzer only to find out the issue pertains to the -12 specifically and not the -12iS.

Much of this potential confusion would disappear if the OPers would clearly identify the model (e.g., -ULS versus -iS, Dynon versus Garmin, etc.) of RV-12 they are referring to. Either put this information in the OP or the OPer's signature.

Last edited:
Much of this potential confusion would disappear if the OPers would clearly identify the model (e.g., -12 versus -iS, Dynon versus Garmin, etc.) of RV-12 they are referring to. Either put this information in the OP or the OPer's signature.

Amen, David. I can’t believe OPs have to be told that- but they do.

Separate RV-12 from RV-12iS

The fact is that most forget to note the model, as we are not thinking about a model but what we have, so the confusion will continue.

I would prefer we separated, I know the Admins don't want to, but what is the downside? Is it a lot of work?

And since the search capabilities of this Forum Software are pretty basic, separating should help.

What is the downside?

Because the two models have so much in common, I think the downside to having two separate forums is that most RV-12 and RV-12iS owners and builders will end up reviewing both forums anyway.

For example, if there's a problem with the wings, empenage, fuselage, canopy, etc. on an RV-12 and you're building an RV-12iS, wouldn't you be interested in knowing about it? Likewise, if you're building a -12iS and have a problem with a part that is common to both models, wouldn't you like to know how an RV-12 builder resolved the issue?

I think what most guys will probably do is post the same question in both forums, which means there will be a lot of duplicate posts to wade through.

Because the two models have so much in common, I think the downside to having two separate forums is that most RV-12 and RV-12iS owners and builders will end up reviewing both forums anyway.

For example, if there's a problem with the wings, empenage, fuselage, canopy, etc. on an RV-12 and you're building an RV-12iS, wouldn't you be interested in knowing about it? Likewise, if you're building a -12iS and have a problem with a part that is common to both models, wouldn't you like to know how an RV-12 builder resolved the issue?

I think what most guys will probably do is post the same question in both forums, which means there will be a lot of duplicate posts to wade through.

So what is wrong with that? I did an 12iS but constantly checked all other forums, like RV-12 and RV-14, for ideas and suggestions.

So what is wrong with that? I did an 12iS but constantly checked all other forums, like RV-12 and RV-14, for ideas and suggestions.
Speaking as someone who moderates another forum, multiple posts on the same subject by the same person in different forums are a royal pain in the you-know-what for both the original poster and those who reply. It's definitely something to avoid if possible. Much like sentences as long as my first one. :D

+1 for keeping this a single forum.

My previous plane was a C-177RG and the support group, Cardinal Flyers Online, is fantastic much like VAF is for Van's pilot/builders. We were constantly reminding posters to clarify if they were discussing a C-177, C-177A, C-177B or C-177RG and requesting details about engine, prop, etc., since 40 or 50 years gives a lot of time for drift from the original type certificate. Despite the delay while an OP provided the needed details, it worked great! I learned a tremendous amount from posters who had something other than my RG.

Also +1 for DHeal's comment of either putting relevant info in the title of a thread and/or in the signature block.

Back