What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh first timer question

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
For the EAA tickets, I see that they'll give you a wristband to wear daily at the entrance gates to the field, but how do they handle the pilots flying in? Does the ground crew give them wristbands in exchange for the tickets, or are we expected to go to the entrances and do it? Is this basically an "honor system" kind of thing?

For the EAA tickets, I see that they'll give you a wristband to wear daily at the entrance gates to the field, but how do they handle the pilots flying in? Does the ground crew give them wristbands in exchange for the tickets, or are we expected to go to the entrances and do it? Is this basically an "honor system" kind of thing?

It is mostly the honor system. You walk to one of the ticket sales buildings and purchase what you need - wrist bands, camping permit, etc.

If you are flying in there will be a vehicle come by your plane that can take you to the homebuilt registration building. There you will fill out forms, pay money, receive camping registration (if applicable), wrist bands for the days you will be there, and receive your goody bag with mug, maps, etc.

As Kyle and Steve mention, it's mostly an honor system. There are guards at the fence gates and the exhibit halls that will prevent entry if you don't have a valid wristband. There are numerous places to trade your paper receipt for a wristband depending on where you end up parking. Like Steve mentioned, HBC/HBP is a little more special in the there a couple vehicles that make the rounds and will drive you over to the HB Admin building when you arrive.

Also...

In order to inform those thrifty few who are "unfamiliar" with the honor system..

If, for the sake of argument, one was planning to fly in and camp at HBC without ever leaving the grounds and thought that they could skirt the rules (i.e. not pay). They give brightly, neon colored tags, along with the registration that are supposed to be put on your tent to prove payment. Plus, people are on the lookout for wristbands inside the grounds too. I believe even the day ticketeers get a wristband.

So, play nice, play fair and support the event, even though it's a very lucrative one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got housing offsite, so I get to buy the tickets even for the day that we are planning to fly out first thing in the morning.

If you show up at the gate with luggage in tow and tell them you are going to your plane to leave airventure, then they will not require a wristband to let you in that day. But you need to go directly to the plane and fly out. At least that has been the policy in past years.

John Morgan

Homebuilt Registration

After landing and getting tied down, walk or catch a ride to Homebuilt Registration. It's pretty close.

There, they will get you logged in and take care of the details. Also, if you are not camping with your plane and staying in Scholler or anywhere else on the grounds, they will give you and your gear a ride. Pretty cool service!!!

I've got housing offsite, so I get to buy the tickets even for the day that we are planning to fly out first thing in the morning.

You can get a day of departure pass at registration that will get you to your plane and out of Dodge.

Back