VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-12/RV-12iS (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Mandrels (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=203236)

Burndout11 01-26-2022 03:39 PM

Mandrels

Has anyone come up with anything creative to do with all the leftover mandrels from all of the pull rivets? I’ve been collecting them along the way and now that I’m getting close to the bottom of the box, not sure what to do with them other than recycling them to collect about 6 bucks.

RFSchaller 01-27-2022 09:49 PM

This post reminded me that I was obsessed with picking them up off my hangar floor after each operation so they wouldn’t end up in my tires!

rgmwa 01-28-2022 12:56 AM

First flight in 2015 and still wondering what to do with a bucket full of them.

goatflieg 01-28-2022 05:19 AM

I keep a handful in my tool box; they're perfect for tapping out the ball on a set blind rivet before drilling it out. Also good for other various punch duties.

N8DAV8R 01-28-2022 08:06 AM

I have mine all saved up for some kind of resin encased small furniture project once the airplane is done. Before the airplane my big hobby was woodworking, mostly fine furniture. All that equipment is mothballed right now but once the -12 is done it comes back out for sure. I'm not really a fan of all the popular resin stuff these days, but I can live with it for this application. I haven't decided exactly what, maybe a small table for the hangar or a foot stool around the house. Good conversation piece.

nohoflyer 01-28-2022 08:32 AM

They go into the trash when I bother to pick them up.

Mel 01-28-2022 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nohoflyer (Post 1585400)
They go into the trash when I bother to pick them up.

Easy pick-up with a magnet on a stick!

Ironflight 01-28-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel (Post 1585401)
Easy pick-up with a magnet on a stick!

Nope - at least not the stainless ones you get with a Sonex kit….. The little wheeled magnet thingy from HF just pushes them around while they laugh….

What to do with them? Collect them all in a large clear plastic “jar” that come filled with snacks from COstco. Donate it to your EAA chapter as the centerpiece of a “guess how many rivets go into a <insert your favorite pulled-rivet Homebuilt> “ contest!

Paul

Burndout11 01-28-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8DAV8R (Post 1585388)
I have mine all saved up for some kind of resin encased small furniture project once the airplane is done. Before the airplane my big hobby was woodworking, mostly fine furniture. All that equipment is mothballed right now but once the -12 is done it comes back out for sure. I'm not really a fan of all the popular resin stuff these days, but I can live with it for this application. I haven't decided exactly what, maybe a small table for the hangar or a foot stool around the house. Good conversation piece.

I had a similar idea…. Was considering a resin covered workpiece for the shop.

HansLab 01-30-2022 08:47 AM

"What to do with them? Collect them all in a large clear plastic “jar” that come filled with snacks from COstco. Donate it to your EAA chapter as the centerpiece of a “guess how many rivets go into a <insert your favorite pulled-rivet Homebuilt> “ contest!"
Quite a marvelous idea Paul!! I'll pass the idea to my flight club and put them in a container right away!
Glad I saved them, anyway.
it sort of, dunno, makes me trustworthy ;-)