What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming the inside of steel aileron balance tubes..

jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Howdy all... I know there's lots of info out here on priming, but I have a question about the aileron balance tubes. I think they're made out of steel, but not really sure. These also are not closed up during aileron construction. My question is about priming the inside of these things, and what type of primer would work best on this material..

Priming them is probably more effort than is necessary, but you certainly can swish some primer around in there.

YMMV!

I believe these tubes are galvanized, so they're pretty protected as it is. I primed the outside of mine because they'd be in contact with the skin, and I sprayed some primer inside as well.

I primed the inside of the aileron skin so that there wouldn't be any dissimilar metal to metal contact, and sprayed the ungalvanized inside of the pipe with primer, too.

Dave
RV-3B

Tip

I have a neat tip.
Cut the fingers off a nitrile flove and slip over one end. Pour in the primer and slip one on the other end. Slodlsh and remove one to pour it out.

Back