What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying my new RV6a home

Chuck_KC

I'm New Here
After a year of searching for a plane, originally looking Mooneys'. I have decided to go with a Vans RV6a. You just can't beat the technology and price of an experimental.
Since I did not build, I am looking forward to getting to know all about this airplane and working on it with guidance. I am a really big advocate of owner assisted and want to learn as much as I can. Super excited for the adventures to come! This is my solo flight after receiving transition training from a CFI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gQ0_Gk78EE&lc=z22dwdx5ewz0wpcqh04t1aokgazzylbp4rfclftjlbxabk0h00410

Congrats, Chuck! If you like doing it yourself, you've bought the right plane. And welcome to VAF!

Congratulations and you'll definetly get the best bang for your buck. In my opinion, owner assist condition inspections is a great learning experience in getting to personally know your plane.

Congratulations, Chuck. I just did the exact same thing a few months ago. I'm loving it so far, except I haven't gotten to fly nearly as much as I'd like with terrible weather just about every weekend for the past three months. I am enjoying tinkering on the plane and learning as I go. This community has already been invaluable to me.

Congrats!

Good for you Chuck. I entered this special club in the same way 3 years ago. I now have permagrin. You will too. Blue Skies and Tailwinds :)

Thanks everyone. I plan on making a lot more videos in the future with the adventures in this plane. Come share the experience subscribe to my YouTube, “Chuck_kc”.

Last edited:
Congratulations Chuck...... You are about to find out why the rv6/6A is the most popular model Van has ever designed.

Understand and respect the nose wheel and you will always have a big smile after every flight.

Enjoyed the video, congrats on your new RV! Time to start tinkering!

It has been a cold and snowy year in KC, I caught the ?cold feet and heater mods comment.? What about better sealing of the canopy? There are also aileron boot seals.

I don?t have any before or after comparison as my first flight already had it, but copied Pat Hatch?s roll bar and slider seal idea.....I?ve wanted to make the aileron boots but never found I needed to, I did seal the forward spar area though.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104766

I think it?s more about not letting the heat escape than creating more. I also have heated seats, but generally turn them off after 30 minutes. I?m comfortable in the low single digits, I notice my toes getting slightly cold at close to zero in uninsulated shoes but not uncomfortable. Cold but bearable for several hours at -25. I was comfortable today in shorts with the heater and fresh air both cracked open with upper 20?s and lower 30?s temps.

Hey and congratulations on your purchase. Glad you went with the RV over anything else. As you already know, you're going to love it. Even cold feet can't take the fun out of it. I had it happen on my first cross country to Petit Jean, AK from the deep south here in Alabama. I found myself trying to throw my jacket down over my legs! I've learned to wear high socks if it's that cold.

Hope to see you at some of the fly-ins.
Welcome Chuck!

Congrats, me too in 2011

Great news Chuck.

The -6A is a great design. No regrets for me in almost 8 years of -6A ownership.

Be Sure the nosewheel bracketry is correctly installed! Mine was backwards when i purchased the plane, 3rd owner, and when the single bolt gave way during taxi I had a prop strike. Has also happened to other -6As.

I was given these paraphrased words of wisdom, ?It is easy to take something apart, it can take great time and effort to get flying again?. Carefully consider disassembly/?upgrades?.

Fly often! Fly to Osh! Visit RVCentral!

Carl

welcome to the 6A family.
DSC8070.jpg

Welcome to the club. I did what you did 3 times. (3 RV6'S) We finally bit the bullet and built our present RV, a 14A. You will never get tired of Vans designs or this community.
Woodman

Enjoyed the video, congrats on your new RV! Time to start tinkering!

It has been a cold and snowy year in KC, I caught the ?cold feet and heater mods comment.? What about better sealing of the canopy? There are also aileron boot seals.

I don?t have any before or after comparison as my first flight already had it, but copied Pat Hatch?s roll bar and slider seal idea.....I?ve wanted to make the aileron boots but never found I needed to, I did seal the forward spar area though.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104766

I think it?s more about not letting the heat escape than creating more. I also have heated seats, but generally turn them off after 30 minutes. I?m comfortable in the low single digits, I notice my toes getting slightly cold at close to zero in uninsulated shoes but not uncomfortable. Cold but bearable for several hours at -25. I was comfortable today in shorts with the heater and fresh air both cracked open with upper 20?s and lower 30?s temps.
Great idea, I think I will look more into this.

Congrats

Welcome to a never ending excitement of RV ownership and fellowship. I transitioned from the twin Cessna World 5 years ago and can tell you that not only do I not miss the certified world, but I?m grateful for the friends and experiences that my RV has helped bring to my life. As someone said, your life will never be the same.

Amir

Back