What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lets promote professionalism...

rvbuilder2002

Legacy Member
Mentor
among the RV pilot population.

Though none of us may agree with every single point he makes, I am sure most of us can agree with most of them.

THIS recent write-up by AVweb's John Deakin should be required reading for all pilots, but I think it is especially important for RV pilots because we often get stereotyped as a group.
Possibly the biggest impact (positive or negative) is our ramp presence, since this is when we are the most up close and personal with other members of the pilot community.

Nothing frustrates me more as a pilot when I see someone doing something total rude or stupid in an RV... I swear I can almost hear the "there is another one of those yahoo RV pilots" mutterings all over the airport.

Please take a few minutes to read the article. As a group, if the suggestions suggested are followed, it could go a long way towards improving our perception by the rest of the pilot community.

Anyone else agree?

At last years homecoming, I watched more than one plane taxi in to the parking area, power up and kick the brake to swing the tail around, so they could push back into a spot. Blasted planes big time with the prop.

And, even saw a couple start up and taxi out from the parking spot........Just drop the chains and hop in the plane:mad:

The most common issue I see is people in heavier singles or light twins (almost never the RV crowd) who stop at the pumps, take their sweet time filling up, then climb in and go through the long version of their startup checklist and taxi out, even if another plane is idling waiting to pull up to the pumps. Even worse I see them leave the plane there and go into the bathrooms, although not as often with a plane waiting. I usually ask if I can help them pull it away from the pumps for startup, but they often say they'll just startup and taxi out. I understand it from a king air, but for a 172 or bonanza, etc, that's just flat rude.

I'm with you

Anyone else agree?

Yes! Just the other day a Lancair taxied onto the ramp in front of my open hangar doors (and car parked in front), stopped, apparently decided he was on the wrong ramp, added a LOT of power, and (you guessed it) turned so that it blasted my hangar and car instead of the open field just opposite. :mad:

I have to wonder where some pilots get their license... Do instructors not teach some of these basic things? :confused:

A little thoughtfulness and courtesy go a long way at the airport!

Anyone else agree?

In a word, YES!

... Do instructors not teach some of these basic things? :confused:

In a word, NO!

When I got my PPL, I'm sad to say, my home field was a Navy master jet base. All my cross countries were to old rural airports with not much in the way of aircraft parking to worry about.

It wasn't until several years later, I began learning, the hard way, about taxiing and parking at busy GA airports. I (I'm sad to admit) once taxied a T-34 mentor past Beaver with his cowl off and a mechanic (probably pilot/owner) busily working on that big old radial. I went past, and stopped at the pump with a pedal turn away from the Beaver, never realizing that I'd blasted the guy, his plane, and the cowling laying on the ramp.

He walked up and chewed my AR$e out big time. I apologized profusely and asked if there was anything I could do to help. I knew what I did was wrong as soon as I did it. But, there was no consoling the guy. I never saw him again. To this day, I wish I could tell the guy again how sorry I am for blasting that beautiful old bird.

Prior to this, My knowledge of line etiquette was in a word "spotty". But, I felt so bad, I went back to my favorite club CFI and had a serious chat. I don't fly a lot. Especially now that I'm spending so much time trying to get my own airplane built. But, every once in awhile, I still come across a situation where I'm just not sure what would be the polite thing to do.

[rant]I think a little "professionalism" in GA is a good thing, on the ground and in the air. But, I think it should also extend to how you react when someone does something not "professional".[/rant]

I once visited a guy in his hangar and he didn't even offer me a beverage out of the fridge. Come on people, let's remember the basics.

Another problem is exhaust fumes. I recently had the experience of the RV-8 pilot next hangar sitting in his idling plane on the ramp while he was fiddling with his EFIS. His prop wash wasn't a problem as he was some distance away but his prop wash WAS appointed toward my hangar and I had to step outside my hangar to get some fresh air. :(

When he shut down we had a nice conversation, he apologized, and he said it wouldn't happen again. :)

Me too

I'm afraid I was once guilty also, since taxiing around hangars was not an everyday thing for someone who learned to fly from, and have been parked for years on, a tiedown a couple hundred yards from the nearest hangar. Taxied on a strange (to me) airport once, went to the end of the ramp looking for a tiedown spot, didn't find one, so made a U-turn then stopped at the gas pump. A guy came out of the hangar and informed me in firm, but not hostile, terms that it was common courtesy to swing the tail away from an open hangar door while turning around instead of toward it, the reason why was of course obvious. I apologized, and haven't done it since, and am in general more conscious of the prop blast wherever I may be.

You Know, this is just plain common sense. It amazes me how so many people are oblivious of their surroundings. It's like boaters that never look back so see what their wake is doing.

Just plain rude. If you have that little situational awareness, you should not be flying airplanes.

OK, that's my rant.

promote

Those Dang RV Drivers entering the pattern at 200mph whats the matter with them?
Bob

Lesson Learned

Worked for a FAA......trained mechanic. Taxied up one day in his C-206. After blasting his maintenance hangar I NEVER MADE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN ! Did I mention how long it took to clean the ENTIRE hangar!:eek:

It would be nice if ramp etiquette was taught in ground school and was discussed at BFRs.

Insurance companies have a role as well. They could easily send a flyer out with their renewals.

Preflight briefings for formation teams could also discuss this as a topic of the day.

Preflight briefings for formation teams could also discuss this as a topic of the day.
Right... On predetermined signal, everyone pull mixture and hit left brake at the same time. That way the props stop turning just as you get turned 90 degrees, right? :)

As I used to tell my students when I taught school - "you do know we are all still here when you close your eyes". Trying to get junior high students to understand the entire world does not revolve around them is not an easy task.

Some people don't care enough to be concerned that their actions can cause problems for others. There is no hope for them changing. There is a much larger group that just didn't realize that their quick turn sprayed dirt all over a new paint job. When they are informed by someone, they learn. Even I, have learned that way a time or two!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
among the RV pilot population.

Though none of us may agree with every single point he makes, I am sure most of us can agree with most of them.

THIS recent write-up by AVweb's John Deakin should be required reading for all pilots, but I think it is especially important for RV pilots because we often get stereotyped as a group.
Possibly the biggest impact (positive or negative) is our ramp presence, since this is when we are the most up close and personal with other members of the pilot community.

Nothing frustrates me more as a pilot when I see someone doing something total rude or stupid in an RV... I swear I can almost hear the "there is another one of those yahoo RV pilots" mutterings all over the airport.

Please take a few minutes to read the article. As a group, if the suggestions suggested are followed, it could go a long way towards improving our perception by the rest of the pilot community.

Anyone else agree?

No doubt many will expect this of me, regarding a colleague I hold in the highest regard, but I am yet to find any of JD's writings regarding airmanship or flying generally that I can disagree with.

He is so humble about it, but he is worthy of the praise.

The most common issue I see is people in heavier singles or light twins (almost never the RV crowd) who stop at the pumps, take their sweet time filling up, then climb in and go through the long version of their startup checklist and taxi out, even if another plane is idling waiting to pull up to the pumps. Even worse I see them leave the plane there and go into the bathrooms, although not as often with a plane waiting.

Thank you! I was afraid I was the only one annoyed by that behavior. It amazes me they can see you sitting there waiting, and still make no effort to clear away from the pumps. A friend of mine used to call that "Pre-Copernican" mentality. :D

Not Common

The longer I have been around the more I realize that "Sense" is not common. If it were we wouldn't have to remind people to use common sense. This became more apparent to me when I started flying 15 years ago.

Back