What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor choice - calling all gurus!

8viatorPete

I'm New Here
Alright - I've got a fantastic set of tools from Cleaveland, my shop is ship-shape, and my 8 tail kit is on the bench ready to assemble. So - I need a new compressor, and I have narrowed it down to two choices. I want some experienced builders to weigh in here and give me advice. Background as follows: I live downtown, so noise is a big deal. My shop is set up for RV building and woodworking.

1 - Ingersoll-Rand SS5L5 - single stage, 60 gal, 18.1 cfm @90 psi / 135 psi max / 230 volts, 19 amp starting draw

2 - Ingersoll Rand 2340L5 - two-stage, 60 gal, 14 cfm @175 psi / 175 psi max / 230 volts, 28-amp starting draw (with single-phase hook-up)

The single stage would probably be plenty of compressor, but a lot of guys have opined that two-stage is quieter, and runs less. I've used plenty of compressors in the past, but never really paid attention to the specs. I know that a lot of the ones I've seen in other guys shops are too noisy (the oilless ones are out for my location!) So what do you guys think? I'm using a borrowed portable compressor right now, and need to get my real one bought and hooked up.
Thanks in advance for your help guys! The RV community is amazing.
Pete

What CFM is the 2340L5 rated for at 90 psi? This is the number that really matters.

I have the SS5L3 and have no gripes about it. It is the same as the L5, but only with a 3HP motor instead of the 5HP. With the 5HP you get nearly 8 more CFM, but my personal opinion is that you won't need it for any tools needed to build your airplane. I have never wished I had more CFM, but I am only running one line off the compressor and don't have a blast cabinet or anything. Of course, if you choose to go with the L5, that would be fine too. You can never have too much HP. :D

An accumulator (extra air tank) plumbed onto your system will keep a smaller compressor from running as often. It's not often you need a really big compressor. Mine's a Craftsman Professional 25 gal., oil lubricated. Runs on either 110v or 220v.

Pete,
Either compressor will work fine, BUT....once you have had a 2-stage, you can never go back. It is so much quieter and will last so much longer.

Just a quick glance is that the 2-stage is about 250 bucks more. Considering that you'll be using this for other stuff in your shop, and are looking for a long term investment it's probably worth it getting the 2-stage.

I bought a 60 gal oiled single stage, and while its better way better than my oil-less, Its still pretty loud. But it only was 550 bucks. Chances are, if/when we move, and I build a shop- I'll sell it, and buy a two stage compressor.

What lifetime are folks....

Pete,
Either compressor will work fine, BUT....once you have had a 2-stage, you can never go back. It is so much quieter and will last so much longer.

...getting from their compressors?

My cheapo 3HP Campbell-Hausfield(sp?) single stage belt driven compressor is still going after many various projects and about 20 years...:)

I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a vertical one for my workshop, but it's like the Engergizer bunny...:cool:

...or perhaps I'm just seeing the quality of older stuff before it was maid in China?? :rolleyes:

Just a quick glance is that the 2-stage is about 250 bucks more. Considering that you'll be using this for other stuff in your shop, and are looking for a long term investment it's probably worth it getting the 2-stage.

I bought a 60 gal oiled single stage, and while its better way better than my oil-less, Its still pretty loud. But it only was 550 bucks. Chances are, if/when we move, and I build a shop- I'll sell it, and buy a two stage compressor.

I decided to save money on the compressor and use that extra towards a refrigerant dryer, hopefully this summer.

What CFM is the 2340L5 rated for at 90 psi? This is the number that really matters.
There are also other questions like - what is the pressure switch range for the smaller one? Having 135 psi max suggests that the switch will kick out around 125-130 psi. The question is when it does kick in? I bought mine at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92504 two years ago (it was $299 then). It worked perfect for me for last two years, it's quite quiet and thanks to being twin cylinder (do not confuse it with two stage, it's single stage, double the CFM) it gives me plenty of air for any tool I wanted to use so far. The only problem I encountered is that the pressure switch kicked in around 95 psi. Which normally would be plenty enough but in those rare cases when you truly need that 14CFM@90 even when it kicks in around 95 the pressure can actually drop below 90 in the tank. I searched around and found pressure switch that kicks in around 105psi and since then I had absolutely no problem.

thank you guys.....

Great info, guys. For the price difference (about $300 here in Toronto) I think I will get the two-stage after reading your replies. I think the two-stage will cycle a lot less, and that will be important here in downtown, where you live cheek-by-jowl with your neighbours.
I also plan on getting the Ingersoll Rand particulate filter and moisture separator (not the big refrigerator/dryer.) I think it will be a great rig (and I just know that I'm going to end up running a new power line to the garage to give it the juice it will need.) Oh well, in for a penny......... Just met with the contractor who's putting in my Schwank radiant heater, the latest in a long list of expenses. And I've never been happier!
Thanks again guys.
Pete

Pete,
Most of the noise from a compressor comes from the inlet port. Granger sells a filter muffler that will reduce the inlet noise by about 80%

Look here and find one that will fit your unit......

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...nementSearch&originalValue=solberg&L1=Solberg

On a two stage unit, the air gets compressed twice, first in the big cyl, then by the small cyl. It will make more noise as the air is pushed into the tank past the check valve. But it's not that bad. Just don't place it under your neighbors bedroom window!

An accumulator (extra air tank) plumbed onto your system will keep a smaller compressor from running as often. It's not often you need a really big compressor. Mine's a Craftsman Professional 25 gal., oil lubricated. Runs on either 110v or 220v.

I'm trying to decide what to get for a compressor and came across this interesting option from a 2-year old post. I'm leaning towards a smaller, portable compressor for now, simply because I would have many uses for the portability feature outside of plane building. But if I can hook it up to an accumulator in the shop and vastly decrease run time and noise while riveting, I'm liking the idea. Are these accumulators fairly inexpensive? Where do you get them? What would the drawbacks be for tasks other than painting by hooking up a 1.8 hp dewalt compressor to an accumulator vs buying and using a 30 to 60 gal. compressor

You can use any tank that is safe for the pressure.

If you can find someone with an old compressor with a dead motor, that will work.

A portable tire filler tank will also work, just be sure to check for pressure limits. These units are cheap and available, some come with a quick release chuck so it can be removed easily when needed to fill a tire, even:rolleyes:

One thing for the original poster to consider is that those are pretty serious compressors and it might be worth considering a less capable unit. I built and painted my airplane with a 20 gallon, 1.5 hp compressor and never thought it lacked capacity.

Doubling your tank size will also double the compressor run time, but it will run not have to run as often. Think of the tank like a battery.

Is anyone familiar with the Sanborn brand of compressors. I saw one today down at Menards and it looked nice. It was a 20 gal. horizontal portable with oil based pumping. I may wait for it to go on sale and then jump on it, unless anyone has bad experience with it.

Don't buy a new one, check the local classified ads or Craigslist.
I traded an old boat for my compressor. It's an Ingersol Rand "Charge Air PRO" 5 H.P. 80 Gallon 175 PSI 2 stage. I never thought I'd have such a good compressor, but I'm sure glad I do.
A smaller one would do the job, but be persistant, and you will find the right one for a killer price. :D

I've been working with a Campbell Hausfeld VT623102 I got from amazon.com. It works great for riveting, drilling, and painting, only running intermittently. When I use my die grinder it runs almost continuously, but still works fine.

It is loud. (I'm told it is quieter than an unlubricated 120V unit, but I still find it loud.) I built a box out of 3/4" MDF to put it in, and it is now quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation right next to it.

When I first started using it, it would spit water into my tools all the time (especially the die grinder). I put about 30' of copper pipe zigzagged in the rafters of my garage for the air to cool down in, and now the dust/water trap between the pipe and hose shows zero signs of water.

Chris

Mine too!

...getting from their compressors?

My cheapo 3HP Campbell-Hausfield(sp?) single stage belt driven compressor is still going after many various projects and about 20 years...:)

I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a vertical one for my workshop, but it's like the Engergizer bunny...:cool:

...or perhaps I'm just seeing the quality of older stuff before it was maid in China?? :rolleyes:

My 3 HP Campbell Hausfeld single stage belt driven compressor was purchased used 24 years ago at a flea market. I have lost track of how many cars, trucks and boats it has painted over the years. It now lives in the corner of my hangar and just fills tires (occasional riveting) and still runs strong. I bought a 60 gallon upright for the garage to fill the hole the little 3HP use to occupy.

Back