What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT and ACK E-04 ELT

stneki

Well Known Member
Patron
I am trying to use the internal gps on my HS Sport to feed gps data to a ACK E-04 ELT with no luck. I fabricated the test tool specified in the instructions for ACK and I am not get any light or flashing with the test tool. I have port 3 set for 4800 baud and the serial wire is connected to pin number 32 of the HS Sport. I installed the jumber on the curcuit board in the ELT for the 4800 baud rate. I did connect a volt meter to the serial data in pin on he plug that connects to the ELT and to the ground. The volt meter jumps from around -5 volts to positive volts. Any ideas on what to try or check next?

You could have the wrong data format set, in addition to the baud rate make sure you are using a source set to 8 data, 1 stop, and no parity bits. NMEA 0183 is normal message format expected, some "232 Aviation out" formats also work.

For the ACK manual:
No GPS data is being received, the ELT test light does not flash, or LED stays on: Check that the data being sent to the ELT meets the data protocol in Section 17 of this manual. Connect test LED to pin 4 and ground of the cable providing GPS data and power (page 8 Fig 13), test light should flash. If not, reverse test LED and if flashing retry test lead on ELT.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Back