What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to make an RV-3 cowl look really sharp!

Very nice Tony. Gives us an update as you move along. I have to do a RV-4 canopy skirt in a couple months and this will be perfect way.

Thanks Tony. I'm helping a friend finish his -4. The canopy skirt is about 1/2 done, but looks a little rough. Plus the canopy has a 2" crack on the aft edge. So we probably be replacing the whole thing and starting over.

Looks good! The one thing to consider for future projects would be to cut at least some of the fiberglass strips on the bias at about 45 degrees to the width of the roll. The bias strips will drape a lot more easily around curves and creases like the one across the front edge of the canopy.

It is good that you are trying to protect your airways and lungs from epoxy fumes; most epoxies have at least some sensitizing volatiles that can eventually lead to allergic reactions. However, those paper nuisance masks will do almost nothing to protect you. At my shop we always use NIOSH activated charcoal respirators intended to protect from organic solvents.

Thanks, Bob K.

Last edited:
RV-3 cowl

Cowl is finished and installed.

29ynm6v.jpg

That's not a James cowl. Front section is a Weseman Cleanex nosebowl mated to an RV-3 cowl.

Tony

Back