What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-8 cabin heat option

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've been fighting the old how do I warm up the rear seat in my 8 syndrome for several years.

My feet were always burning up and my wife was always freezing.

I didn't want to do the whole cut the spar web, run the scat tube thru the gear tower routine so I came up with just a bit simpler method to skin both cats.

I made a small box that attaches to the firewall that was thin enough not to interfere with the rudder pedals. Made a scat flange that angled off to the side so get the tubing off to one side of the cockpit and then ran 1 3/4 inch scat back to the z brace under the panel. Got an eyeball outlet and mounted it off to one side to I could blow the air down the cockpit sidewall and into the back seat. I still get plenty of warm air on my feet and my wife is toasty in the rear cockpit. The eyeball vent is far enough to the side and far enough back that it doesn't cook my leg.

For me it's a pretty good solution.

Box that connects to the firewall and covers the inlet air. The actuator cable actually has a slot cut in the bottom so no modification of push/pull cable required.

10498352596_dee2fd4a85_b.jpg

Mounted on firewall. I did put a hose clamp on after the photo was taken. Adel clamp is to attach misc cables to for security. I used a 1 3/4 inch flange and scat to run back to the eyeball vent. Ran nicely just beside the fresh air vent from the NACA vent on the forward left side of fuse.

10498377394_190d750087_b.jpg

Put the eyeball vent on a bracket that I attached to the z brace below instrument panel. This location doesn't blow on my leg and is below my hand on the throttle. Great warm air flows right to the back seat.

10498658926_93cc01161d_b.jpg

Very nice. Even though we live as far South as you can get in Texas, I can see where we will want heat on occasion.

The first time was at Oshkosh -- in July! :rolleyes: As you noted, I roasted in front, while my wife froze in back.

This morning, on our flight into the Wings over Houston airshow, I was chilled in the back while my wife flew. Sooner or later, we're gonna have to address this heat issue.

I like your system, but it seems like running a tube all the way to the back seat might work, and allow for more control?

There appears to be a temporary red plastic plug in the brake cylinder in the second picture?

Heat Muff

Here's a little bit more information on my heating system for those that are interested.

I have Vettermans 4 into 4 pipes on my engine. For my installation I needed a muff that would fit towards the end of the pipes and that meant a muff that would wrap around two pipes.

A quick call to Rick Robbins http://www.robbinswings.com/ at Robbins Wings with a couple photos and he made me a special length muff. I had to work around the exhaust hangers and the nozzles for my smoke system. His normal muff for this is about 8 inches long, but I needed no more than 6 inches with the inlet/outlet pipes at a certain angle.

The result is a nicely fitting muff that puts out great heat/flow that is easily accessible.

10536633535_3cc3ded404_b.jpg

On my old engine, I had two muffs in series and the flow/heat was not nearly as good as with this two pipe system. With an OAT of 30 degrees last week I had to just barely crack the heat open to keep very comfortable.

Remember the old adage..

"If she ain't happy, you ain't happy", and now I'm happy :)

ps.. I'm not connected with RobinsWings in any way other than a happy customer.

Back